Sponsored by:

1RS vs. 1Cup

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 08:04 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
This is most intriguing... My Cup braking points are roughly consistent with the pros running the regional Carrera Cup, max 5m earlier... Bias is a small tad to the front (0.25 on the dash equiv to 5 bars delta)...

I'll need to reconcile the differences...

Braking distances for me:

7Cup > 7.2RS similar to 1Cup > 1RS...

Admittedly the rear of the 1RS is squirmish under hard braking. Can safely bet that for track use it'll need an LSD in no time...
Weight and tires on the Cup alone should allow it to brake much later, I would think.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:58 AM
Metzeger
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just see the 991 RS with 19" with slick...Awesome works from GMG post from James on Facebook

"Full GMG Track Package with 19" HRE wheels and big 345/19 Hoosier R7's on the back, plus Brembo rotors/hats and pads combined with our GMG Header and exhaust system, full setup and harness bar/seat upgrade. This car broke the track record at Thermal for any street legal race car on the South Palm circuit, beating the times set by the HYPER 5 car 2 months ago! FIrst pic after the car was just completed a week ago and then the 2nd pic was from yesterday.....the car is running close to 991 Cup car times!"

Old 01-23-2016, 09:07 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

^^^Finally an RS!
Old 01-23-2016, 03:08 PM
WazRS
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
^^^Finally an RS!
FXZ finally sees the light!

Wael
Old 01-23-2016, 03:28 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mika911
A friend with very in-depth knowledge of the cars mentioned the RS has a brake booster which the GT3 does not. Can anyone confirm this?
My 7.1 Cup has no booster. I'm assuming that the later generation Cup's are the same.

The pedal feel and minuscule travel is hard to get used to, coming from a street car. At first, it feels like your foot is on the bulkhead, not the pedal. There is no movement at all. Instead of the booster, it's your leg that has to apply the power.

The brakes in the GT3 and GT3 RS are identical, as far as calipers and rotors. There may be subtle difference in valving, boost, ABS, etc, due to the larger tires on the RS, but I kind of doubt it.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:36 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium

The pedal feel and minuscule travel is hard to get used to, coming from a street car. At first, it feels like your foot is on the bulkhead, not the pedal. There is no movement at all. Instead of the booster, it's your leg that has to apply the power.

The brake feel is very difficult to get used to coming from a street car! With no ABS, it is much more difficult to brake well vs. a street car.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:42 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by WazRS
FXZ finally sees the light!

Wael

Don t get too excited WE have still to wait long time before getting a real RS
Old 01-25-2016, 11:54 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^You've shown yourself out so many times, it's a wonder you get back in. lol
Old 01-26-2016, 01:53 AM
KA MOTORSPORT
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CRex
Just had two back-to-back weekends at our home track, first racing a 991 Cup then really pushing a 1RS. It was amazing how much the two cars resemble each other:

First off, the 1 Cup:
- Easy to drive with prodigious front grip vs. the 7
- Much, much more forgiving chassis; can take throttle some ways earlier
- Fantastic brakes... Modulation requires slightly more pressure during a turn
- Not as much steering feel (despite running a hydraulic setup from the 7R); lighter touch overall

The surprise is when I jumped into the 1RS the following weekend:
- Driving feel is more than halfway to a cup, in ALL respects
- Steering surprisingly not any worse, despite being fully electric
- Grip... OMG this is a street 911 on Cup2s... Really? Front axle is... unimpeachable.
- Braking mega mega. Initially set my brake points same as the Cup and found myself 20 meters early in most cases. The wonders of a well-tuned ABS...
- The run to redline is PRIMAL. Absolutely up there with 7 & 1 Cups in terms of body experience
- I did not miss a manual shift one bit. Car is so out there that an H-pattern will only be a liability (surprised I'm saying that myself)
- With all systems on the car is doing more driving than the driver. It's subtle but you know it's doing a little nip and tuck here mid- and late-corner... 4WS seems to have a bit of lag--one seems to feel the rear coming in esp in slow corners

Overall it's shocking how the 1RS delivers more than half the cup experience, all the while demanding so little of the driver. I honestly don't know if that's a good thing. This car turns village idiots into Schumachers...

I'll end on the note that I think the 1RS will be rather pointless on the street. Below 6k rpm it's boring like a C2S. Only with ***** out mentalist driving does it show its true colors... And just how many of us can do that in street use?
991 GT3 and RS have same brakes. The Street GT3 has 380 mm front & rear Brembo OE discs. The 991 Cup has PFC 378 mm front and 381 mm rear discs with different piston bores because of the calipers.

997 Cup and GT3 have 380 front & 350 or 355 mm rear discs and the smaller rear discs help keep the rear settled and feel less nervous under braking. 991 Cup doesn't have the same "braking feel" right out of the box unless you do some brake setup changes (master, pads, rotor sizes).

From the 997, the 991 models went to larger rear discs because of thermal capacity issues. While the smaller discs were better for balance, the larger discs hold more heat.

A lot of the 991 GT-America (cups) in IMSA moved to PFC or Brembo 355 mm rear discs and that greatly improved braking balance with most of the available pad combos available for the car.

Quick Reply: 1RS vs. 1Cup