Sponsored by:

Next GT3--expect sub-7:18 Ring time

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 05:23 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Except that if this article is to be believed the new TT is already faster than the GT3RS. A watered down RS engine and a few RS tweaks in a .2 GT3 won't even make it as fast as an RS, much less the TT.
Of course it is faster. Much faster.
They have to add power, they can't go meaningfully lighter..

Add electric like 918 to fill boost gab a la P1 and done, sort out AWD steering feel and presto flow down tech transfer from 918 to 911.
Question is AWD or 2WD...

The GT3RS is dead. Long live the GT2RS!! I'll take one.

If NA .2 991 than they will just fall to far behind.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:32 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

It's funny because I remember AP's statement after the 991 RS's launch,when he said " he was laughing at people fantasizing about a Turbo RS because of the side scoops ". I was laughing too. My favorite used to be a boy's wet dream of a KERS system.
The same scenario is happening now : lots of assumptions,shady sources,secret handshakes,aliens and secret societies. But it's fun nonetheless.
I think many feel the need to prove their " weight " here on Rennlist. I guess providing some sort of secrecy cloud around them and their " sources " makes them look and feel interesting. Kind of like a secret agent : it's cool. Enjoy your games gentleman!
Old 01-14-2016, 05:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Add electric like 918 to fill boost gab a la P1 and done, sort out AWD steering feel and presto flow down tech transfer from 918 to 911.

Yup, that's the key point. Does Motorsport want to wait two more generations before their cars are on par with or better than the top regular production models? As you point out, with safety requirements and the need to keep the GT cars in their proper place in the pricing hierarchy, going even lighter with more exotic materials doesn't seem feasible. And there's only so much power that can reasonably obtained from a NA flat 6.

Could be wrong, but I think that all of the normally aspirated rabbits have been pulled out of Porsche's hat. Forced induction, with or without electric boost, seems like the only way to go for the next GT3/RS, despite AP's earlier assurances which may have been reasonable at the time. The landscape is changing fast and I just think the handwriting is on the wall.

Like you, I would consider a properly done GT turbo. But I'm pretty happy to have one of the last great NA cars, if that's how it plays out.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:37 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I did get it right once on the RS..
Old 01-14-2016, 05:58 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Would that put base price at 200k USD?
No the R&D is done. By the time the 991 cycle is over I promise you Porsche got all profit from their work. Therefor they can put all this on the car for cheaper because at the end of the day they already paid back their cost and it's all profit for them.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:04 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Instead of all of you though thinking they are going turbo. Did you all ever consider they are going to go hybrid? Use the electric motor to give the added boost and fuel economy without destroying the car with turbochargers.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:20 PM
hets72
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

... the accountant in me is thinking that an RS with Turbo's in a Turbo shell with a wider front end and some more boost and different torque curves in every gear will not only kill any current NA RS in term's of performance but will also be much cheaper to produce... agree that adding lightness will be much more expensive / difficult in a large quantity / manufacturing scale vs. adding some more turbo power....

.... the accountant is also thinking that the purchase of a 991 RS at MSRP was a good investment (into long term fun non depreciation)....
Old 01-14-2016, 06:35 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

The solution is much simpler yet costly,but can be used in racing. It would be a masterpiece that surpasses every engine built before it : a flat 8 with both direct and port injection. Individual throttle bodies for each cylinder.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:48 PM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
It's funny because I remember AP's statement after the 991 RS's launch,when he said " he was laughing at people fantasizing about a Turbo RS because of the side scoops ". I was laughing too. My favorite used to be a boy's wet dream of a KERS system.
The same scenario is happening now : lots of assumptions,shady sources,secret handshakes,aliens and secret societies. But it's fun nonetheless.
I think many feel the need to prove their " weight " here on Rennlist. I guess providing some sort of secrecy cloud around them and their " sources " makes them look and feel interesting. Kind of like a secret agent : it's cool. Enjoy your games gentleman!

Sometimes if you are very passionate about something (business, girls, NA GT cars) that passion can skew you from the reality. Sure we would all love NA cars forever but unfortunately that is not possible. Besides the emission issues (even more pressure now from US Gov.) you have bigger issue and that's performance . If Porsche wants to compete with other car manufactures on the track they HAVE to turbo....fact!

I have NO "special sources" this is just common sense. The good news is Porsche has been using tubos longer than any other car manufacture, they know what they are doing.

IMO
Old 01-14-2016, 07:31 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Porsche is not the fastest out there in the current iteration,yet everyone in the industry,including journalists are looking at them as the reference when it comes to track performance,involvement and desirability. Sheer speed and the Ring time will not be the decisive factors anymore in the future. When are they going to reach the limit,when will more power be too much power and when will fast be fast enough? Very very soon!
Old 01-14-2016, 08:16 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What ever is going to happen, will surely be interesting.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:45 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I continue to believe that as long as FIA/WEC sanctions a NA GT3 class that Porsche will continue offering NA cars. The issue becomes cost. A reliable flat 6 is pretty much maxed out at 4.0L. So how will they be able to continue improving times? Less weight is very co$$$tly. Could a slightly larger engine that spins at say 9250-9500 be developed? Also possible but also $$$$. It is a conundrum. Have we reached a plateau in performance?
Old 01-14-2016, 08:56 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jem7v
Instead of all of you though thinking they are going turbo. Did you all ever consider they are going to go hybrid? Use the electric motor to give the added boost and fuel economy without destroying the car with turbochargers.
maybe hybrid augmentation in the future... but the key to porsches (sports cars) today is their relative lightness compared to other so called performance marques like bmw, jag, audi, merc - ALL of those makers' sports cars are at least 300-600 lbs heavier in their current iterations

i think this is one big reason why porsches handle so much better and have such better feel

so yes they will undoubtedly go hybrid but that means motors and battery packs = more weight... for hp and torque produced per kg of weight added i think a turbo systems are more effective. obviously the nature of the additional power (torque vs hp, lag vs no lag) are other salient issues

i am sure PAG and PAG MS understands this oh so well... I do have faith they will produce as good a nex-gen product as possible weighing these complicated tradeoffs...
Old 01-14-2016, 09:13 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

This is the reality - a NA 991.2 GT3 will probably be slower than a 991.2 C2S running MPSC2s around the ring.

911R isn't being sold on the basis of ring times as they can't justify it anymore with a NA power unit, so they've taken a different approach marketing it as an analog street driving experience.

I'm excited about the GT2 RS with a 4.0TT, I think it'll be a lot of fun...991.2 GT2/3 will be a 3.8TT from the TTS.

Last edited by NateOZ; 01-14-2016 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-14-2016, 09:39 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=NateO I think it'll be a lot of fun...991.1 GT2/3 will be a 3.8TT from the TTS.[/QUOTE]

^^^
Did you mean 991.2............?

Quick Reply: Next GT3--expect sub-7:18 Ring time