Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MotorTrend: Viper ACR versus C7 Z06 versus RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 05:20 PM
gt2urbo
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a 991 gt2 will likely not have the aero or front grip to compete with the acr.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:02 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

The good thing is Porsche will answer. I love all this competition because we, as Customers, are the winners - as long as they do not freakin make limited runs which appears to be the new program across the board with all these MFGs now
Old 01-07-2016, 06:10 PM
gt2urbo
Banned

porsche has no answer... lol is that why the rs prices are 150k over sticker? i thought we wanted manuals in our gt3s?
Old 01-07-2016, 06:28 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gt2urbo
porsche has no answer... lol is that why the rs prices are 150k over sticker? i thought we wanted manuals in our gt3s?
What are our options then?! A Ferrari 458 S like in your avatar that would get annihilated or perhaps a 488 that costs even more $$ and would still get trounced? Or must we succumb to the viper lol
Old 01-07-2016, 06:56 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by gt2urbo
a 991 gt2 will likely not have the aero or front grip to compete with the acr.
Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
The good thing is Porsche will answer. I love all this competition because we, as Customers, are the winners - as long as they do not freakin make limited runs which appears to be the new program across the board with all these MFGs now
Porsche won't answer. They never have and never will compete directly with American competition.

The ACR on street legal Kumho tires might even trouble a GT America race car
Old 01-07-2016, 07:23 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,953 Likes on 555 Posts

Bow to the viper. Join the DARK SIDE. HARNESS YOUR ANGER
Old 01-07-2016, 07:28 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

LOLOLOLOL

No matter what, there is always a faster car somewhere. I would say the ACR is a home run "good bye" story for Dodge. How does 8.4 liters of N/A madness pass emissions and then Porsche has to go turbo 3.0 L? It is on the edge of being a street car. And once you get to that point, there are lots of cars to choose between if going track car only.

Most impressive to me is how the aero makes those street tires work so well. Does it have a track warranty?
Old 01-07-2016, 07:41 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
LOLOLOLOL

No matter what, there is always a faster car somewhere. I would say the ACR is a home run "good bye" story for Dodge. How does 8.4 liters of N/A madness pass emissions and then Porsche has to go turbo 3.0 L? It is on the edge of being a street car. And once you get to that point, there are lots of cars to choose between if going track car only.

Most impressive to me is how the aero makes those street tires work so well. Does it have a track warranty?
My question is who here honestly besides very high level drivers would even have the ability/***** to take advantage of the aero of the viper? Guys like Randy P, of course but your hobbyiest track rat, I highly doubt it but maybe I'm wrong!
Old 01-07-2016, 07:58 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Z06 looked as if it was struggling badly with the nannies off. Maybe they needed someone who could drive it flat out, like a mother**cker?
Old 01-07-2016, 08:19 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I'd still take Mr Purple.
Yes slower, but it drives, sits, looks and sounds so nice.

Z06 is not worthy and I don't fit. If I would I'd take a Z51 over a Z06.
As tested the MSRP Viper isn't cheap enough to go rude, crude and uncomfortable for me.

Hell of a track day bully though and I can't help wondering what could have been if hey had build it right from the start instead of at first offering the half baked Viper for $120k..
Me thinks there would have been a line out the door like for the RS, instead of unsold cars sitting at dealer, discounted $20k after a year and to be discontinued a year after they got it right to move the last inventory..

The 350R on the other hand, if that proves track durable (and I read about Z06 temps, so still iffy) I may trade the GT4 in at a Ford dealer.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:32 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I'd still take Mr Purple. Yes slower, but it drives, sits, looks and sounds so nice. Z06 is not worthy and I don't fit. If I would I'd take a Z51 over a Z06. As tested the MSRP Viper isn't cheap enough to go rude, crude and uncomfortable for me. Hell of a track day bully though and I can't help wondering what could have been if hey had build it right from the start instead of at first offering the half baked Viper for $120k.. Me thinks there would have been a line out the door like for the RS, instead of unsold cars sitting at dealer, discounted $20k after a year and to be discontinued a year after they got it right to move the last inventory.. The 350R on the other hand, if that proves track durable (and I read about Z06 temps, so still iffy) I may trade the GT4 in at a Ford dealer.
Yep^

But I still have to give it to Dodge. Amazing achievement to turn the Viper into what they did. How much does a Viper cost????

Porsche used to that company. Shooting way over the HP numbers and destroy everything on track. And they used to be cheap compared to competition. Now it seems like Shelby gt350 is a better deal than gt4. And Viper a whole lot more bang for the buck than gt3/RS. Time has really changed. We Europeans used to laugh about US muscle cars and their HP and straight line speed.

I need an RS "cup edition"! Crazy aero, and more ponys in the back. Don't care if it sucks on the road or has radio.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I'd still take Mr Purple.
Yes slower, but it drives, sits, looks and sounds so nice.

Z06 is not worthy and I don't fit. If I would I'd take a Z51 over a Z06.
As tested the MSRP Viper isn't cheap enough to go rude, crude and uncomfortable for me.

Hell of a track day bully though and I can't help wondering what could have been if hey had build it right from the start instead of at first offering the half baked Viper for $120k..
Me thinks there would have been a line out the door like for the RS, instead of unsold cars sitting at dealer, discounted $20k after a year and to be discontinued a year after they got it right to move the last inventory..

The 350R on the other hand, if that proves track durable (and I read about Z06 temps, so still iffy) I may trade the GT4 in at a Ford dealer.
I'd rather have Mr. Purple too (or a GT3), over either of the other two cars. The ACR is fast as hell on track, but it's a one trick pony; by all indications it's unlivable on the street. The Z06 is better in that respect but apparently has one tiny flaw; at the limit it tries to kill you.

The RS and GT3 are all-rounders that do everything well, on both the street and the track, with basically no vices except their price. In the end it comes down to what aspects of overall performance you value the most and what you are willing to give up to get something else.

I disagree that Porsche have changed their philosophy. It's pretty much the same as it's always been; build a car that you can use on track while also enjoying the drive to and from. Manufacturers like Dodge with the ACR have focused on the first part while making little attempt to deal with the second. No wonder the ACR is fast on track; that's it's one and only purpose. If Porsche were as single minded they could build a car to match or surpass it, but they've chosen another path that is consistent with their historical DNA of producing more versatile cars.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:48 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Yep^

But I still have to give it to Dodge. Amazing achievement to turn the Viper into what they did. How much does a Viper cost????

Porsche used to that company. Shooting way over the HP numbers and destroy everything on track. And they used to be cheap compared to competition. Now it seems like Shelby gt350 is a better deal than gt4. And Viper a whole lot more bang for the buck than gt3/RS. Time has really changed. We Europeans used to laugh about US muscle cars and their HP and straight line speed.

I need an RS "cup edition"! Crazy aero, and more ponys in the back. Don't care if it sucks on the road or has radio.
The 350 jury is still out..
I'm not one for a Street CUP like ACR but we know plenty of track junkies would be all over it. Maybe even me but the comfy RS for now is the sweet spot. I maybe getting old and soft...

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'd rather have Mr. Purple too (or a GT3), over either of the other two cars. The ACR is fast as hell on track, but it's a one trick pony; by all indications it's unlivable on the street. The Z06 is better in that respect but apparently has one tiny flaw; at the limit it tries to kill you.

The RS and GT3 are all-rounders that do everything well, on both the street and the track, with basically no vices except their price. In the end it comes down to what aspects of overall performance you value the most and what you are willing to give up to get something else. I think Porsche could build a car to challenge the ACR on track but they've chosen another path that is consistent with their historical DNA of producing more versatile cars.
The GT3 is cheaper the RS a bit more.
Repair and running cost could be the difference.

Forget the Z06 that's so far behind in development they'll never fix it right unless a total extreme make over like ACR.

The GT4 could pay for Porsche holding it back again if cheaper faster cars like the 350R prove solid and durable on track!
Old 01-07-2016, 09:06 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by fbirch
The Z06 looked as if it was struggling badly with the nannies off. Maybe they needed someone who could drive it flat out, like a mother**cker?
like this guy

Old 01-07-2016, 09:31 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'd rather have Mr. Purple too (or a GT3), over either of the other two cars. The ACR is fast as hell on track, but it's a one trick pony; by all indications it's unlivable on the street. The Z06 is better in that respect but apparently has one tiny flaw; at the limit it tries to kill you. The RS and GT3 are all-rounders that do everything well, on both the street and the track, with basically no vices except their price. In the end it comes down to what aspects of overall performance you value the most and what you are willing to give up to get something else. I disagree that Porsche have changed their philosophy. It's pretty much the same as it's always been; build a car that you can use on track while also enjoying the drive to and from. Manufacturers like Dodge with the ACR have focused on the first part while making little attempt to deal with the second. No wonder the ACR is fast on track; that's it's one and only purpose. If Porsche were as single minded they could build a car to match or surpass it, but they've chosen another path that is consistent with their historical DNA of producing more versatile cars.
I disagree,

Porsche RS DNA is track car that's street legal. Not sure how much experience you have with 964rs/993rs/996rs/997rs? 997rs is definitely softer and a better road car. But IMO RS is supposed to be rough and very track focused. I still think 991RS is an amazing car. But not following the RS DNA and to close to gt3 instead of cup car.

Quick Reply: MotorTrend: Viper ACR versus C7 Z06 versus RS