Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for Porsche Exerience Center in Atlanta?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 10:33 AM
oc997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for Porsche Exerience Center in Atlanta?

I am thinking about going to the Porsche experience center in Atlanta and wanted some advice for those that have been there.

I am looking to learn proper driving techniques as i plan to track my GT4 next year and want professional instruction.

I was looking at their 1 day driving program as I wasn't sure the 2 day was necessary and my wife may get bored on the second day.

I am hoping to drive either the GT4 or 991 GT3 but not sure if I can even pick the cars.

Can anyone give me some tips and advice on this before I book?
Old 12-31-2015, 10:41 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

Imo, if you want instruction you should consider the Porsche driving school at Barber in Birmingham AL. It really is excellent and their instructors are superb.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:02 AM
oc997
Racer

Thank you seems like a lot of people are saying same thing.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:19 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Agree with Haku. I did the experience center last May with a group of the GT3 owners cars that were delayed due to the engine debacle. We drove all the cars with a pro driver, but it's not really instructional, but gets you familiar with the many selection of vehicles. It was a fun day, but not concentrated on one area of driving.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:20 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
Imo, if you want instruction you should consider the Porsche driving school at Barber in Birmingham AL. It really is excellent and their instructors are superb.
+1

Barber would be much better if you're looking to learn how to drive on the track.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:53 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Agree with Haku. I did the experience center last May with a group of the GT3 owners cars that were delayed due to the engine debacle. We drove all the cars with a pro driver, but it's not really instructional, but gets you familiar with the many selection of vehicles. It was a fun day, but not concentrated on one area of driving.
Exactly.
As others said to get safe instruction on track just go to the usual PCA PBOC CHIN events with instructors, if you are well advanced hire some of the coaches. All well worth it.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

oc997, you mention one and two day programs at the Porsche Experience Center; are you confusing it with the PSDS? I thought the Experience Center only offered test drives by the hour, not comprehensive instruction, even if you are driving with a coach.

Regardless, I agree with the other comments about PSDS. The Experience Center's short track is fine for getting the feel of a car but isn't really set up for teaching. The PSDS at Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama is a great venue with great instructors. I did the 2 day Performance and Masters sessions this year and will be doing the 3 day Masters Plus in July. Highly recommended if you want to learn how to get more out of your GT4.

BTW, the GT4's had just arrived for my Performance class in August and we got to drive them. For my Masters class in October they had also received GT3's and TTS's so we got to drive them, the GT4's again, as well as turbo Panameras and manual GTS's. You don't get to "choose" what to drive but you should have the opportunity to drive pretty much everything in their current fleet.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:07 PM
oc997
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
oc997, you mention one and two day programs at the Porsche Experience Center; are you confusing it with the PSDS? I thought the Experience Center only offered test drives by the hour, not comprehensive instruction, even if you are driving with a coach.

Regardless, I agree with the other comments about PSDS. The Experience Center's short track is fine for getting the feel of a car but isn't really set up for teaching. The PSDS at Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama is a great venue with great instructors. I did the 2 day Performance and Masters sessions this year and will be doing the 3 day Masters Plus in July. Highly recommended if you want to learn how to get more out of your GT4.

BTW, the GT4's had just arrived for my Performance class in August and we got to drive them. For my Masters class in October they had also received GT3's and TTS's so we got to drive them, the GT4's again, as well as turbo Panameras and manual GTS's. You don't get to "choose" what to drive but you should have the opportunity to drive pretty much everything in their current fleet.
Thanks guys i am already looking into dates can't wait to tap the true potential of these cars.

Quick Reply: Advice for Porsche Exerience Center in Atlanta?