Sponsored by:

GT3 vs Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 10:40 PM
spyder fan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question GT3 vs Turbo S

Which would you chose, a lightly used 2015 GT3 with Carbon Ceramics or a 2017 Turbo S coupe? Which do you think will have better value retention? Thanks!
Old 12-30-2015, 10:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

They are different cars in several important ways so personal preference and how you will be driving the car is part of the equation, but my choice is the GT3 especially after having driven both (well, a 2015 TTS) on track. YMMV. As for retaining value, I think the GT3 will do much better in both the short and long run.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:05 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

Both are excellent cars. I recommend buying the Turbo versus GT3 session at the Porsche Atlanta experience center. After 90 minutes driving them back to back on the track, skid pad, etc. you maybe able to decide which you like better. I found I liked both but finally chose based on that trip.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:17 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

The GT3 would depreciate less than the 2017 TTS simply because the numbers produced are far fewer and
the available supply likely to be far smaller. But you are asking the wrong question. The cars could not be more different. The GT3 is a nimble and responsive car, relatively noisy and loads of fun to drive with no seats in back for kids, with greater driver involvement, noisier and harder riding than the TTS.
The TTS is the "Swiss Knife" of Sports Cars, quieter and smoother riding than virtually any other Supercar,
incredible acceleration, excellent Audio and Entertainment Systems, easy and relaxing to drive, a car you can drive across the entire continent comfortably and with its 4WD will plow through almost any road hazard and get you there refreshed. Your wife can comfortably shop for groceries with econobox driving simplicity when you are not running rings around most cars on the racetrack with you. It is only after you drive both cars that you will be able to make a reasonable choice between them - and that will likely be based more on your passion than your pocketbook. You can't go wrong with either car and will find it as difficult as the proverbial Kid in the Candy Store (and I) to limit myself to only one. Your Needs, Wants, Dreams and Desires will determine your choice - and no one can make that choice for you. Either way, I wish you the best of luck and happiness in your choice and in the New Year.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:33 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,781 Likes on 4,774 Posts

The depreciation rate on a TTS would make a McLaren blush.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:39 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I chose the GT3. It was what I thought/knew I wanted anyway, but it was worth considering the TTS anyway. Surprisingly different cars given how much they share. While depreciation cannot be ignored, it probably ought not be the driver for purchasing either car, IMO.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:57 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

You could pick up a GT3 drive it for a month and probably not loose much if any on the transaction if you decided on the turbo. I don't think the same could be said for the acquiring the turbo first.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:59 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
The GT3 would depreciate less than the 2017 TTS simply because the numbers produced are far fewer and
the available supply likely to be far smaller. But you are asking the wrong question. The cars could not be more different. The GT3 is a nimble and responsive car, relatively noisy and loads of fun to drive with no seats in back for kids, with greater driver involvement, noisier and harder riding than the TTS.
The TTS is the "Swiss Knife" of Sports Cars, quieter and smoother riding than virtually any other Supercar,
incredible acceleration, excellent Audio and Entertainment Systems, easy and relaxing to drive, a car you can drive across the entire continent comfortably and with its 4WD will plow through almost any road hazard and get you there refreshed. Your wife can comfortably shop for groceries with econobox driving simplicity when you are not running rings around most cars on the racetrack with you. It is only after you drive both cars that you will be able to make a reasonable choice between them - and that will likely be based more on your passion than your pocketbook. You can't go wrong with either car and will find it as difficult as the proverbial Kid in the Candy Store (and I) to limit myself to only one. Your Needs, Wants, Dreams and Desires will determine your choice - and no one can make that choice for you. Either way, I wish you the best of luck and happiness in your choice and in the New Year.
Great analysis, Spence! I concur.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:07 AM
RCorsa
Pro

Received 436 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by jfr0317
Great analysis, Spence! I concur.
+1. I looked at both and eventually went with the TTS as I have a red hot Italian babe for the weekends/track days.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:09 AM
Gotboost?
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RCorsa
+1. I looked at both and eventually went with the TTS as I have a red hot Italian babe for the weekends/track days.
What a great combo! A reliable fast wife during the week and a hot & sexy mistress for the weekends...
Old 12-31-2015, 04:45 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spyder fan
Which would you chose, a lightly used 2015 GT3 with Carbon Ceramics or a 2017 Turbo S coupe? Which do you think will have better value retention? Thanks!
Judging by your sig, I'm guessing you've got a GT3 that you're entertaining the idea of trading for the TTS also may have a GT4 on order? If that's the case, then I'd wait for your GT4 to come in. Because based on how much you enjoy the GT4 may help you decide if you'd be willing to part with the GT3 because of the driving enjoyment you get out of the GT4 being manual and being able to row thru the gears and might actually scratch the itch for a fun/weekend/canyon/track car. If that's the case and you'd also like a great luxury/Grand Touring car, then the GT4 and TTS could be a fantastic combo to have. That being said, I think you'll miss the sound of the GT3 and the high revving character of it's engine and it's connectedness to the road. The TurboS, you should definitely test drive one before you're ready to get one. I'm sure the '17 will be a fantastic car, just as all other Turbos preceding it have been but will be an entirely different experience than the GT3. As for Depreciation, it's not even close, the GT3 will depreciate very little, especially now that all cars will be Turbo'd, so the Normally Aspirated GT3's will really hold their value. If you look at any version of the GT3 and compare it to the same year Turbo, the GT3's have held their values quite favorably in comparison to the Turbo's. Infact, pretty much all GT3's sell for more than the same year Turbos even though their MSRP was usually quite a bit less when new. Trends can change, but most likely this particular trend will/should hold true for all GT3's. 991 GT3's are trading near, at or even slightly over their MSRP, 997.1 and 997.2 GT3's are also both trading near their MSRP in some cases and 996 GT3's aren't far off either. All have been trending upwards in the last year and a half or so. So I really don't think you'll ever lose much on keeping the GT3, especially if the rumors of the next iteration of the GT3 get a pair of turbos strapped to the engine. Turbo's on the other hand, they seem to have HUGE and I mean HUGE depreciation values. Which is great for people like myself who look to the secondary market. 996 TT's that had MRSP between 120-170k can now be had for 35-45k and 997's which went from about 130-185k can now be purchased for between about 55-80k and even early 991's that went from about 140-210k can now be purchased in the 110k range and are still declining. Turbo's usually do go back up eventually, look at the 930's, 965's and the astronomical amounts that 993's are getting, but sometimes they can take a while to go back upwards, the 993 was an anomaly being the lasts air-cooled Turbo and the first with twin snails under the decklid. Hope this all helps you out a little. As for what you really want, best way to decide is to get them and keep them all!
Old 12-31-2015, 07:46 AM
csfastp
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

No question it would be a GT3. I own both and the TTS looses value every day and the value is not loosing value now. The 2 cars are very different and I like to drive both cars. So my pick would be buy a GT3 . I would by another GT3 but i have a wife says no more cars but I am working on her. What ever you buy you will enjoy.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:52 AM
scb997
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by spyder fan
As others have said, it depends on where your happy place is

My GT3 is my daily driver and I autocross with the local PCA Regions. I used to have a 2009 C4S (which I sold when my GT3 hit the port). I'm pretty wired to love high revving engines. Prior to my C4S, I had an RS-4. That engine was amazing. While I was autocrossing the C4S, another member of the club had a 997.1 GT3 and a 997.2 TTS (to the best of my memory). At that time, we ran in the same class (S8). If he drove the GT3, he was faster, if he drove the TTS, I was faster.

I passed on the GT3, back then, because I was sure that the clutch would be too much for the stop and go traffic I spend an hour in every evening. The clutch in the C4S was fine for that.

So, when the 991 GT3 came out with PDK (and I was considering a PDK anyway) and had a 9k redline, I boogied over to my dealer and put down a deposit. I ended up with their first allocation and have over 25k miles on it.

At the Porsche Experience Center (with the GT3 stop sell/recall group), I drove both the GT3 and TTS very briefly on their handling track. The TTS was clearly more powerful/faster, the GT3 more emotional. For me, that confirmed that I bought the right car

Scott
Old 12-31-2015, 09:10 AM
siswati
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Couldn't have said it any better myself, other than to point out that after a 300 mile drive in the GT3, chances are your back is going to kill you, irrespective of the seats. Whereas with the TTS you could easily drive 3,000 more! But for me, no contest. Performance over Luxury, and yes there are thousands of TT's on the road here in S.FL - not so many GT3's
Old 12-31-2015, 09:41 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 956 Likes on 427 Posts

Since I've owned both now, I feel I can discuss this. If you want a great comfortable daily driver that can be your only car, get the Turbo. It's fast when needed, but not too harsh. However it misses something- it's hard to put to words; I didn't think it felt exotic or special enough maybe? Because it's not loud and fairly insulated you miss the snorts, anger and fear that come with owning an exotic. That's what i missed, so I had to get a GT3 - it has those qualities and I simply love hearing, driving and looking at it! Is it louder and rougher, hell yes- but that's an integral part of its charm.

When my kids are older and I don't have to cart them to and from school, activities and such - I will definitely get another Turbo as my DD bc its a great car. But for a weekend toy, it didn't check the right boxes for me. Good luck! We are so lucky to actually afford to have these choices.
The following users liked this post:
yojimbo007 (07-25-2019)

Quick Reply: GT3 vs Turbo S