Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 02:45 AM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
2-rear seats (if you need/want them)
3- better rear visibility
I have to question the rear seat efficacy. We have an 11-year old who is, to put it mildly, petite. She has spent much of her car life in the back seat of an E46 M3 - from the day it brought her home from hospital. It's not the most spacious rear seat, but she is on the 8th centile for size! Out of curiosity, and becaus we are enjoying the GT3 *so* much, we went and looked at a TTS and I had her sit in the back seat. She announced that she could probably only sit back there for about an hour. It often takes us that long to cover 20 miles around here. There are seats back there, and the 991 platform is a lovely piece of packaging, but I am not convinced those are much more than upholstered luggage racks.

Re: rear visibility, that wing, and LEOs - I have wondered whether a rear parking camera that doubles as a rear view (like an 80s Gemballa!) might help?
Old 01-04-2016, 04:11 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Banango
I have to question the rear seat efficacy.

Re: rear visibility, that wing, and LEOs - I have wondered whether a rear parking camera that doubles as a rear view (like an 80s Gemballa!) might help?
Agree with both you and AC. The rear seats are next to worthless IMHO, because either the car seat takes up space or if kid is big enough not to need a carseat, then you have to move your seat forward enough that it's not comfortable/less fun to drive. Another reason that a GT3/RS is the Porsche to own.

If I had young kids, I'd just buy an SUV or E92 M3 to drive them and me around in.

Regarding rear parking camera- I remember a post from a year ago by Mark who lives in the Northwest. He had installed a parking camera on his car that double as a rear camera for LEO. I seriously need to look into that. My GR GT3 attracts a lot of attention from cops, and I hate that i can't always see them behind me.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:33 AM
991 GT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Agree with both you and AC. The rear seats are next to worthless IMHO, because either the car seat takes up space or if kid is big enough not to need a carseat, then you have to move your seat forward enough that it's not comfortable/less fun to drive. Another reason that a GT3/RS is the Porsche to own. If I had young kids, I'd just buy an SUV or E92 M3 to drive them and me around in. Regarding rear parking camera- I remember a post from a year ago by Mark who lives in the Northwest. He had installed a parking camera on his car that double as a rear camera for LEO. I seriously need to look into that. My GR GT3 attracts a lot of attention from cops, and I hate that i can't always see them behind me.
Ditto this. I also have a GR 3. Would like a nice camera system but would not want it visible. If someone has figured out the best or a good configuration please share.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:43 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 991 GT3
Ditto this. I also have a GR 3. Would like a nice camera system but would not want it visible. If someone has figured out the best or a good configuration please share.
Doesn't Nav-Tv offer a back up system for the GT3? I will do a search latter because I think I remember reading a post here or in the 991 section.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:41 PM
odwa
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

NAV TV, had installed on my 2015 GT3 10 months ago. You can use it as a rear camera while driving, double press rear defrost button will activate it.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:09 PM
991 GT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the info. I guess I need to find a solid installer now. What's the est cost?
Old 01-04-2016, 01:21 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by fskof
Doesn't Nav-Tv offer a back up system for the GT3? I will do a search latter because I think I remember reading a post here or in the 991 section.
They sure do. I have front and back cameras from NAV-TV that display on the PCM
Old 01-04-2016, 01:29 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,793 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Originally Posted by odwa
NAV TV, had installed on my 2015 GT3 10 months ago. You can use it as a rear camera while driving, double press rear defrost button will activate it.
Yes, but the view is too low to really use as a true rear view camera. When driving (forward), the view from the backup camera is more road and pavement than anything else.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:47 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 991 GT3
Thank you for the info. I guess I need to find a solid installer now. What's the est cost?
Search back about 6 months or so - there were several different threads when guys got them installed.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:59 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
But the GT3 is more special, in my opinion. It's the ultimate driver's car. It's unique. Far fewer on the road. Louder. More raw. Just plain special. But it is more a toy. It is the car you take out on the weekend, and then spend hours washing and detailing it. You don't daily drive it, because it's your baby. It's the car you hang out in the garage with, having a few beers with your buddies, and just appreciating it.
I agree with first half of this paragraph but don't see any issue with DD a 3 at all. It's very comfortable to me and makes the whole pleasure of DD so much better listening to that engine every day!! I don't baby mine and not good at washing it - like to keep it looking sharp but a quick dry wash and I'm good. Only gets a wash after track days. A 3 or RS is the only 911 to have
Old 01-04-2016, 03:10 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,793 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
I agree with first half of this paragraph but don't see any issue with DD a 3 at all. It's very comfortable to me and makes the whole pleasure of DD so much better listening to that engine every day!! I don't baby mine and not good at washing it - like to keep it looking sharp but a quick dry wash and I'm good. Only gets a wash after track days. A 3 or RS is the only 911 to have
Ditto this.

I DD mine and have over 14k on the ODO and counting.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:15 PM
blackonblack
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Used S-Class to daily,
DB9 Volante for open top GT

997 or 991 GT3 Manual
16m or Scuderia
CLK63 Black Series

In love with the Turbo also, but the GT3 is a bit more special. I also think generally people appreciate GT3s, whereas the Turbo could easily generate any hate that porsches usually generate.

With the GT3 its like you're showing your passion for motorsport and the Porsche brand, whereas with the Turbo you pretty much just look like you're in a flashy porsche. Sure, there's some overlap here.

For DDs, I'll take a Benz -- the Benz image is well respected and works for celebs as well as businessmen. A black Aston -- Astons are formal, classy and elegant. If I was a celeb or a fashion designer, it'd be a Lambo over an Aston.

If I want a Ferrari, Porsche or even sports car Benz, I'll take the track versions that show that I appreciate the brands, not that I want to show off in the cars. Just my opinion, and sort of funny that I've based it on image.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:29 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I am just not a fan of the Turbo styling. Now, if they came stock like this....

Old 03-26-2017, 01:32 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Always wondered why they don't offer SPASM in the TTS. The car looks like a 4x4 stock.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:54 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I am just not a fan of the Turbo styling. Now, if they came stock like this....

Agree! But still won't sound like a NA car

Quick Reply: GT3 vs Turbo S