Garage cabinets

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 01:04 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
^^^ Like your style, looks FUNCTIONAL!
Yeah, it is a working garage, so to speak. Blocked by the Cayenne in the pic is the 964 3.6 motor under the work bench up front. Lots of stuff in that garage. I do need to tidy it up.

Missing in the pic is the super rare 964 Cup aluminum hood that was hanging on to the wall until a week or two ago. It'll be back up there in a few weeks. Best wall art: unobtainium Porsche parts.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
Mike,

I've done more research on cabinets than I'd car to admit........
Money, thanks for sharing your research with me. It's a big help. Your Saber cabinets look very nice and are in the sweet spot for what I'd like to spend although the Lista, Moduline, and Snap-On cabinets some of you guys have are tempting and fun to drool over. In fact, thanks to everyone for the great feedback and pictures. You can always count on the RL community for the straight scoop.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:03 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Money, thanks for sharing your research with me. It's a big help. Your Saber cabinets look very nice and are in the sweet spot for what I'd like to spend although the Lista, Moduline, and Snap-On cabinets some of you guys have are tempting and fun to drool over. In fact, thanks to everyone for the great feedback and pictures. You can always count on the RL community for the straight scoop.
Mike, while nothing in this thread compares to the Snap On EPIQ cabinets I have, you will pay big time for them. For the more cost effective cabinets, that I purchased prior to the Snap on, are the New Age ones-
http://newageproducts.com/cabinets-landing/

Notice that blue over hanging cabinet over my snap on, thats a new age. I've also heard good things about Moduline and of course Lista have a great reputation
Old 12-28-2015, 03:06 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Originally Posted by mooty
sabercabinests
snap on
lista

i am doing research as well. i need to add more stuff
Mooty, for some one as uncompromising as yourself, when it comes to quality, just get the snap on EPIQ and be done with it. Don't waste your time on any others, if cost is not an issue. Yeah, they cost as much as a decent car, but life is short, **** it! Nothing like pulling into the garage ever day to be greeted by a beautiful white snap on!
Old 12-28-2015, 03:10 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

I used Gladiator cabinets in my last garage, but ended up doing research similar to Money and ended at Saber cabinets for my current garage.

The Gladiator cabinets have better / smoother slides than the Saber (even though both are ball bearing, the Sabers have some drag), but I think the Sabers are totally fine for a home garage.

Here they are installed:

I have lots of intermediate assembly pictures of the cabinets (and the garage) posted here in case you're interested in more info: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=280126
Old 12-28-2015, 03:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gt3Fan
Mike, while nothing in this thread compares to the Snap On EPIQ cabinets I have, you will pay big time for them. For the more cost effective cabinets, that I purchased prior to the Snap on, are the New Age ones-
GT3Fan, those Snap-On's are fantastic but I figure this garage project is going to cost me around $80K and I'm trying to keep costs under control just a little.....

Originally Posted by Mech33
I used Gladiator cabinets in my last garage, but ended up doing research similar to Money and ended at Saber cabinets for my current garage.

The Gladiator cabinets have better / smoother slides than the Saber (even though both are ball bearing, the Sabers have some drag), but I think the Sabers are totally fine for a home garage.

Here they are installed:
Sweet set up, Mech33! I'm also going with an in-floor lift (the Bendpak SP7X, I think). I'll check out your link (and Money's) to get an idea of the work in progress. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:07 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

GT3Fan, those Snap-On's are fantastic but I figure this garage project is going to cost me around $80K and I'm trying to keep costs under control just a little.....

Sweet set up, Mech33! I'm also going with an in-floor lift (the Bendpak SP7X, I think). I'll check out your link (and Money's) to get an idea of the work in progress. Thanks.
I hear that, the SnapOn EPIQ alone will run you 15-35K depending on the size. I know the other cabinets in this thread, are far cheaper and some are really nice. I really liked the New age blue cabinets I have and they matched my saphire blue GT3, very closely! I think they come in red as well.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:15 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Sounds like a fun project. I looked at the SP7X and loved that it was name brand, but it seemed like it required an open cutout of concrete between the two platforms. Some folks built covers for that area, but seemed like a pain if true. Also the platform cutouts themselves are larger as it seems like you have to include space for the ramps that are flat in the in-ground config but are really just remnants from the lifts ability to be mounted above ground.

There are a few other German and Italian lifts that look identical to the EE-6503 lifts that may be overall higher quality than the Ever-Eternal model, but no maor complaints with mine so far...
Old 12-28-2015, 05:24 PM
Matt-R20
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 59 Posts

I used a small company called Metalline Cabinets in Fullerton, Ca. I found them at SEMA, probably 10 years ago. They had a few things I really liked:

1. They are American made and local (for me anyway)
2. All steel construction and use conventional Blum hinges and guides (kitchen stuff). Think soft close doors etc.
3. They are like a big erector set, in my case I actually assembled them. What's nice is they have a steel H frame and then each frame can become a cabinet or drawers. This is nice because you can change them around.
4. I wanted cabinets I can take with me like tool boxes and because you can reconfigure, I can put these into a different garage down the road in a different format, the counters may be no good, but the cabinets can be reused. Also, I have the same stuff in my shop and my home so at some point it can all come together into one big shop some day.
5. They have standard colors, but will custom powdercoat to any color you want. In my case I went with hammered gray.

No matter what you will spend a bunch of dough so I'd rather spend it once and be able to reuse and enjoy. Here's some pics.

Also, don't forget when you are getting nice cabinets you still need a place to beat on stuff. My buddy made me a great steel table, weighs almost 1,000 pounds and its on casters so I can move it anywhere. No worries about damaging my nice pretty stainless counters......

Old 12-28-2015, 05:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Sounds like a fun project. I looked at the SP7X and loved that it was name brand, but it seemed like it required an open cutout of concrete between the two platforms. Some folks built covers for that area, but seemed like a pain if true. Also the platform cutouts themselves are larger as it seems like you have to include space for the ramps that are flat in the in-ground config but are really just remnants from the lifts ability to be mounted above ground.

There are a few other German and Italian lifts that look identical to the EE-6503 lifts that may be overall higher quality than the Ever-Eternal model, but no maor complaints with mine so far...
It does appear that there's a narrow cutout between the two lift sections of the Bendpak but from their video it seems to be filled in and covered by a portion of the unit itself. Since my expansion will be brand new my concrete pour can be done to accommodate this without additional cutting of an existing floor like you would have required. I have a lot more research to do, however, and I'm not yet married to any particular brand of lift, cabinet, or what have you. Thanks for the follow-up info....
Old 12-28-2015, 05:44 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Msmatt
I used a small company called Metalline Cabinets in Fullerton, Ca. I found them at SEMA, probably 10 years ago. They had a few things I really liked:

1. They are American made and local (for me anyway)
2. All steel construction and use conventional Blum hinges and guides (kitchen stuff). Think soft close doors etc.
3. They are like a big erector set, in my case I actually assembled them. What's nice is they have a steel H frame and then each frame can become a cabinet or drawers. This is nice because you can change them around.
4. I wanted cabinets I can take with me like tool boxes and because you can reconfigure, I can put these into a different garage down the road in a different format, the counters may be no good, but the cabinets can be reused. Also, I have the same stuff in my shop and my home so at some point it can all come together into one big shop some day.
5. They have standard colors, but will custom powdercoat to any color you want. In my case I went with hammered gray.

Also, don't forget when you are getting nice cabinets you still need a place to beat on stuff. My buddy made me a great steel table, weighs almost 1,000 pounds and its on casters so I can move it anywhere. No worries about damaging my nice pretty stainless counters......
Very nice, Msmatt. I'll check them out too. Good point about needing a place to beat on stuff. Although not in the same league as your 1000 lb steel table, I built my own sturdy workbench some years ago and it's still in good shape. I'll have to see if it fits in at all with my new garage, though.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:40 PM
Bucketlistx911
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Cabinets

I installed a few custom wood cabinets. Countertop with a brushed aluminum finish laminate. Very inexpensive about $4,000. The big black snap on box a monster bought used for $2,200 like new. Plenty of storage. Have a workbench on the opposite side for heavy work, with vise and grinder etc. It all works on a very reasonable budget. Of course there is a flat screen and a nice definitive surround sound system, cost more than cabinets!
Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2016, 12:42 PM
Bucketlistx911
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Garage photo 2

View to side
Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2016, 12:49 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a fun project. I looked at the SP7X and loved that it was name brand, but it seemed like it required an open cutout of concrete between the two platforms. Some folks built covers for that area, but seemed like a pain if true. Also the platform cutouts themselves are larger as it seems like you have to include space for the ramps that are flat in the in-ground config but are really just remnants from the lifts ability to be mounted above ground. There are a few other German and Italian lifts that look identical to the EE-6503 lifts that may be overall higher quality than the Ever-Eternal model, but no maor complaints with mine so far...
Actually the ramps for the above ground installation are not used with the flush mount setup. The pit is sized for only the platform, since the ramps are not used. The only open part of the pit spans between the platforms and is about 6" wide. I still need to get a metal cover made.

Mike, when I have mine made and test fitted, I can ask him to make another. He can also powder coat to match.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:56 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also did wood cabinets throughout.

Name:  Sonder%20Haus%20Garage%20tile%20layout%20green_zpsyst0vcre.jpg
Views: 2317
Size:  268.2 KB

Quick Reply: Garage cabinets