Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty...GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 03:33 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I recently purchased an extended warranty for my 2014 GT3 from Warranty Solutions. FWIW, in the process of researching the purchase I discovered:

1. Not all warranty companies will cover the GT3. For example, I was unable to buy an extended warranty when I bought the car because my dealer's affiliation was with Fidelity, and Fidelity doesn't provide GT3 coverage.

2. Although my understanding is that some ROW customers can extend the factory warranty though their dealers, that doesn't seem to be the case in the US which is why dealers use third party companies. It's also not possible to get Porsche CPO coverage as that only applies to used vehicles. My dealer was willing to buy and sell my car back to me for $1 to get around this but I would have been subject to significant state sales taxes from the transaction.

3. My extended warranty doesn't include track usage. Read the fine print: I'd be surprised if any extended coverage does.

4. Extended coverage starts the day you buy the policy in most cases, so my 6 year policy runs concurrent with the 3 remaining years of the factory coverage then extends for 3 years beyond that to 2022. I didn't want to risk waiting because of my concern that companies might begin to refuse to cover GT3's as engine issues become more common knowledge. In fact the company I bought from is dropping the GT3 when their new policy packages come out in April.

5. I looked at some policies that were cheaper than the one I bought but which didn't provide coverage that was as comprehensive. Make sure to read the coverage information carefully to be sure you're getting what you think you're paying for.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:55 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I recently purchased an extended warranty for my 2014 GT3 from Warranty Solutions. FWIW, in the process of researching the purchase I discovered:

3. My extended warranty doesn't include track usage. Read the fine print: I'd be surprised if any extended coverage does.
Bummer, as track use is the biggest risk to the engine, and biggest stressor of other components.

Track use is the main reason I would want an extended warranty.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:22 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

We can buy an extension of the factory warranty in NZ on year by year basis until the vehicle is 10 years old from date of first sale. I have not read the fine print but I doubt it would cover track use. It is not cheap running around $1800 USD pa...
Old 03-26-2016, 06:50 AM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ended up purchasing an easy care total care warranty for my gt3. $4k for 6yr/60k mi with $500 deductible. This extends my warranty for 3 yrs past my factory warranty. It also includes wheel and tire coverage
Old 03-26-2016, 10:05 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OK guys. I will call him later this AM, ask all your questions and will respond to all those who requested. Heading out the door at 6:30AM for our weekly ride right now and he does not get in until 10:00AM
Old 03-26-2016, 10:08 AM
16'991GT3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's say I leased my gt3, when I buy it out at the end of the lease would that qualify it as cpo? Anybody know?
Old 03-26-2016, 10:25 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
OK guys. I will call him later this AM, ask all your questions and will respond to all those who requested. Heading out the door at 6:30AM for our weekly ride right now and he does not get in until 10:00AM
Thanks Silver! Mine has 3700 miles, I am second owner. It is a 2015. Really just curious what the years/cost options are, and can they deal with someone out of state (Colorado). Assuming all warranty work could be done at any dealer. If no issues on these items, I would like to see the fine print.

Have fun. A foot of snow here!
Old 03-26-2016, 10:26 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by OCturbo
I ended up purchasing an easy care total care warranty for my gt3. $4k for 6yr/60k mi with $500 deductible. This extends my warranty for 3 yrs past my factory warranty. It also includes wheel and tire coverage
This will be the direction I go if nothing else works out.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:28 AM
robmypro
Race Director

1. Not all warranty companies will cover the GT3. For example, I was unable to buy an extended warranty when I bought the car because my dealer's affiliation was with Fidelity, and Fidelity doesn't provide GT3 coverage.

2. Although my understanding is that some ROW customers can extend the factory warranty though their dealers, that doesn't seem to be the case in the US which is why dealers use third party companies. It's also not possible to get Porsche CPO coverage as that only applies to used vehicles. My dealer was willing to buy and sell my car back to me for $1 to get around this but I would have been subject to significant state sales taxes from the transaction.

4. Extended coverage starts the day you buy the policy in most cases, so my 6 year policy runs concurrent with the 3 remaining years of the factory coverage then extends for 3 years beyond that to 2022. I didn't want to risk waiting because of my concern that companies might begin to refuse to cover GT3's as engine issues become more common knowledge. In fact the company I bought from is dropping the GT3 when their new policy packages come out in April.

5. I looked at some policies that were cheaper than the one I bought but which didn't provide coverage that was as comprehensive. Make sure to read the coverage information carefully to be sure you're getting what you think you're paying for.
Number 5 is really important. I found some policies that looked good, until I found out they had a $10k lifetime max payout. Make sure you ask that question.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Number 5 is really important. I found some policies that looked good, until I found out they had a $10k lifetime max payout. Make sure you ask that question.
Good point, Rob. My policy has a lifetime maximum equal to the original purchase price of the vehicle which gives me a reasonably healthy margin to work with.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:28 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Good point, Rob. My policy has a lifetime maximum equal to the original purchase price of the vehicle which gives me a reasonably healthy margin to work with.
That is great, Mike. Some of the warranty companies out there are flat out scams. Buyer beware!
Old 03-26-2016, 02:31 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
It's a pure extension of the OEM warranty?

In other words, does it include track (or "circuit") use like the OEM warranty?
Just talked with Rick Brown. He said yes its extension of OEM but does not include track. He says even the factory does not cover track. You need to tow out off the track if you have any issues. He will scan the warranty paperwork and send it to me later this morning and I will post it here. It will have his email and phone # when he faxes the paperwork.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:33 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Originally Posted by robmypro
Thanks Silver! Mine has 3700 miles, I am second owner. It is a 2015. Really just curious what the years/cost options are, and can they deal with someone out of state (Colorado). Assuming all warranty work could be done at any dealer. If no issues on these items, I would like to see the fine print.

Have fun. A foot of snow here!
Welcome Rob. Rick Brown said no problem with out of state. It coves all of US and you can get it from him. He will scan the warranty and send it later this AM. I will post it here when I get it. Later.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:34 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by silverrules
Just talked with Rick Brown. He said yes its extension of OEM but does not include track. He says even the factory does not cover track. You need to two out off the track if you have any issues. He will scan the warranty paperwork and send it to me later this morning and I will post it here. It will have his email and phone # when he faxes the paperwork.
You are awesome! Thanks man. BTW, how was the ride this morning? Go ahead and twist the knife. Blizzard here.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:36 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Rick Brown# is 916-625-8300. He never sent me the scan so I scanned all doc's myself. I called him like 3 times for the scan. He is probably busy closing deals on a busy weekend. Anyhow, the ride this morning was plain awesome with one close call that almost sent the RS to junk yard but I was able to make the turn It would have been another GT3 RS trashed thread with hate notes.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=folder%2cpdf

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty...GT3