Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why no GT3 RS for me, why try to sell me things I dont want-venting

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 11:52 PM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to put it out there as an analogy. There are many people who going back to their very early childhood, collected baseball cards. For the most part kids got baseball cards to collect their favorite players and become stat geeks which were printed on the backs of the cards. They were traded back and forth and who was the better player was often debated back and forth. This was done almost exclusively by kids, which is why their condition was often less than mint. Rookie cards of those players that had Hall Of Fame careers became collectible to adults who were sentimental about their favorite players growing up and collected them. As these Rookie cards became worth more, then people started looking towards finding the next big Rookie card rather than trying to collect the current all stars or favorite team's players. Knowing that chasing rookie cards alone wasn't going to sell baseball cards, companies started making inserts of current star players. These inserts were produced in much smaller numbers and the collectors started buying the packs of cards in hopes of stumbling upon the rare inserts. This model worked quite well in the early 90's an some of the inserts with pieces of Game Worn Jersey's are worth quite a lot! By the late 90's and early 2000's, every company had like 20 different insert sets (Diamond Club, Platinum Club, Platinum Diamond Club, etc.) that almost every pack had an insert because nobody wanted a pack of regular cards anymore and if it didn't have some kind of insert within the series, nobody would buy them. Mid 2000's to 2010's, people have had insert fatigue. I've been an avid collector since my very early childhood. It was something me and my father enjoyed together and have amassed quite a valuable collection. But at some point, I got so tired of chasing inserts, that I lost all interest in the hobby. Sure the industry probably sold me a couple thousand dollars extra chasing Insert cards (many on the second hand market in card collecting shops), but then they lost me as a customer all together and I havent' spent a dime on ANY baseball cards in probably close to a decade. Baseball card collecting on a whole is losing ground, so while there are other forces at work like the decline of the sport in general when compared to the growth of Football and Basketball (sports that don't have nearly the same card collecting history), I have to think a big part of the decline of the card industry is because they tried to make it too exclusive in their primary market. And yes, technology plays a part of this, but the facts are, people like something that's tangible. I feel like Porsche is playing this same "Insert" game.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:08 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=997rs4.0;12875998, If I know Porsche? I expect to see 2017 991.1rs. Similar to 991gt3. 2014-2016. Who would have guessed that? But, my Chrystal ball is no better than yours. Let's just wait and see . Cars are still rolling of the production line. If they are $300k by end of production I'll have to eat my hat.[/QUOTE]

^+1
Me thinks same and I'm perfectly happy to track my well set up 04 GT3 in the interim.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:25 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by superquant
Well explained

OP what is your history of ownership? you can't really expect to roll up on the latest and greatest and get what you want because you have a bit of money in the bank. plenty of others like that in the world and not enough supply. the exclusivity is literally party of the selling proposition.

to me exclusivity means nothing, I buy the car for me, just me, as for ownership, bought multiple cars from dealer, not his fault, he just cant get allocation, seems all the big time price gougers get rewarded with all the cars
Old 12-27-2015, 12:29 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Then you are buying the cars for the wrong reason. Your comment makes me think that you don't truly understand or appreciate the history of the company dating back to the early years and it's racing history. I'm not saying you don't appreciate the cars, but to many of us, part of the allure to the cars beyond performance numbers, is the history of the company. Though they've never been inexpensive, they've always been the supercar that was attainable, infact, they even built their racing history upon this premise and sold to customers that competed directly and often even outpaced Factory efforts. So for the person just looking for exclusivity (some would call it snobbery), then sure, they're doing a good job attracting that crowd, but that's not the demographic who made Porsche's history into what it is today and it's also the crowd least likely to actually go out and enjoy the car regularly and use it for it's intents and purposes.

EXACTLY
I agree with this completely, I buy this car for the history the feeling that its about performance not posing, the message it sends is Im confident enough to buy a high quality product that isnt a spectacle, I paid more for a GT model, that means I appreciate the mechanical changes and dont care about the loss of luxury items, it means im the kind of guy who wears a Rolex submariner not a Casio G Shock (nissan GTR, no offense meant GTR owners)
Old 12-27-2015, 12:32 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
In all fairness, the Porsche of today has a much broader audience than it ever did. I honestly question their ability to fully meet demand for the RS on top of producing GT3s in addition to literally 20 variants of the 991. How much of the RS is bespoke and hand built? There may be true production constraints to consider.

The rest of the story is market demand and dealers taking advantage. That's a separate issue from the supply side.
hood and wing (dont know about install procedure for roof) all are installed on assembly line just like any other 911 or Boxster there, where the RS is taken off line is at he window station, the plexiglass windows must be installed by hand, however we in the USA get the regular windows installed by robot-so send us some more please
Old 12-27-2015, 12:47 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,199 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
hood and wing (dont know about install procedure for roof) all are installed on assembly line just like any other 911 or Boxster there, where the RS is taken off line is at he window station, the plexiglass windows must be installed by hand, however we in the USA get the regular windows installed by robot-so send us some more please
4.0 engine, clubsport package, magnesium roof, carbon panels for turbo body...I can't imagine these are not challenging to produce in volume. RS could be a loss leader, for all we know.

I think the sin is not in supply, but in the way Porsche allows their dealers to play the Ferrari game. They could easily squash this behavior, but they choose not to.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:50 AM
916Bob
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I had RS Derangement Syndrome myself a few months ago. I found though, that it was quite easy to get over by simply buying another, arguably better car. And we live in a very wonderful car time folks. There are so many stunningly capable cars available right now... some even less expensive, some even more fun. Besides, as I see it, the more real world reviews I see of the new RS, the more I wonder if it isn't just a wee bit (perhaps even massively), overhyped. So my suggestion is to move on, don't look back, and for heavens sake, find something else to enjoy...
Old 12-27-2015, 01:06 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

4.0 engine, clubsport package, magnesium roof, carbon panels for turbo body...I can't imagine these are not challenging to produce in volume. RS could be a loss leader, for all we know.

I think the sin is not in supply, but in the way Porsche allows their dealers to play the Ferrari game. They could easily squash this behavior, but they choose not to.
This
Old 12-27-2015, 01:11 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,792 Likes on 2,160 Posts

Bingo...I bet if PCNA reduces or doesn't allocate any future GT cars to let's say the worst stealer out there (Auto Gallery) that would provide plenty incentive for stealers to start acting as good dealers. But alas, PCNA chooses to close their eyes and look the other way. Wait, I thought they didn't want halo cars to not sit on dealer lots?
Old 12-27-2015, 02:16 AM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 211 Posts

I think the GT3 RS fiasco has left everyone that does not have a car and actually wants a car with a sour taste.
Of course the owners that already have it want them to limit it more/keep it more exclusive.

I have a feeling there going to keep making them. Seems like every few months the rumors are they are going to stop for X reason and then they just continue to make them.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:40 AM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
to me exclusivity means nothing, I buy the car for me
While I wont say exclusivity means nothing to me, I will say "specialness" and driving pleasure mean far more. That said, I also know that I am not in the target demographic for the (small number of) cars I own. I know this partly because I have helped define and reach the targets for such cars. Target demos change. I appreciate and am highly aware of Porsche's heritage and targets; I've used them as benchmarks, and they are an element of a hobby I enjoy. These things change over time. The heritage is to some extent a legacy that doesn't necessarily define the future preferences of those managing the marque. The brand managers don't have the control they once did as the brand shifts beneath them and business requirements tighten inexorably. This is true for virtually every manufacturer. Porsche dealers are behaving more in the Italian manner, and this was inevitable once so many of them began to deal Porsche as well as Italians and a certain sameness began to permeate the premium performance market. It was even more inevitable when they found their product was in quite such demand.

I wasn't suggesting the ethos is right, I was merely providing my perspective on how it appears to be. If your dealer has genuine allocation problems and your relationship with them doesn't result in their working around that problem, find a different dealer. If the brand has left you in the lurch, find a different brand. If it is purely the specific car you are after, work through the secondary market. None of these are satisfactory solutions, but they are potential solutions. I appreciate your frustration more than you can understand; it has cost me a good deal to work out my own solution.

FWIW, PCNA is likely limited in the degree to which they can prevent their dealers playing Italian games. Importer-distributors never seem to have the degree of control they want over dealers. It a symbiotic relationship of mutual frustration and disdain.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:52 AM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Then you are buying the cars for the wrong reason.
I suspect that from a manufacturer's perspective the only wrong reason for buying one of their cars is to flip it commercially outside of their network with a margin beyond theirs. They just want the money. For the marques, the brand heritage, etc, is sadly little more than a marketing tool to get more money over a longer and longer period. One can be quite depressed by the degree to which the people leading such companies really see the product as little more than widgets, the brand as nothing but a sometimes inconvenient story with which to get them sold.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:59 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Banango
While I wont say exclusivity means nothing to me, I will say "specialness" and driving pleasure mean far more. That said, I also know that I am not in the target demographic for the (small number of) cars I own. I know this partly because I have helped define and reach the targets for such cars. Target demos change. I appreciate and am highly aware of Porsche's heritage and targets; I've used them as benchmarks, and they are an element of a hobby I enjoy. These things change over time. The heritage is to some extent a legacy that doesn't necessarily define the future preferences of those managing the marque. The brand managers don't have the control they once did as the brand shifts beneath them and business requirements tighten inexorably. This is true for virtually every manufacturer. Porsche dealers are behaving more in the Italian manner, and this was inevitable once so many of them began to deal Porsche as well as Italians and a certain sameness began to permeate the premium performance market. It was even more inevitable when they found their product was in quite such demand.

I wasn't suggesting the ethos is right, I was merely providing my perspective on how it appears to be. If your dealer has genuine allocation problems and your relationship with them doesn't result in their working around that problem, find a different dealer. If the brand has left you in the lurch, find a different brand. If it is purely the specific car you are after, work through the secondary market. None of these are satisfactory solutions, but they are potential solutions. I appreciate your frustration more than you can understand; it has cost me a good deal to work out my own solution.

FWIW, PCNA is likely limited in the degree to which they can prevent their dealers playing Italian games. Importer-distributors never seem to have the degree of control they want over dealers. It a symbiotic relationship of mutual frustration and disdain.
You know, when enough dollar signs get thrown around it increases the incentive for parties to act badly (i.e. being short sited) and not think about the long term (think about how realtors get very motivated to "push" buyers to buy a property if there are enough dollar signs). How do you think we ended up with the Great Recession? Bankers, lenders, realtors, appraisers, etc all acting baldly. Again, PCNA controls the allocation of cars to dealers so if they wanted to punish dealers behaving badly they just throw a bunch of oddly configured white elephants to them that are difficult to sell. PCNA needs to be the parent and dish out some tough love, via the power of allocations, to the stealers who are acting badly.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:04 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by poofyo101
I have a feeling there going to keep making them. Seems like every few months the rumors are they are going to stop for X reason and then they just continue to make them.
Porsche can kill 3 birds (squash the flippers/speculators, more revenues, and satisfy their loyal customers) with one stone (produce more RSs). I think they'll opt to do what's in their best financial interest, but we shall see. I'll give Porsche the benefit of the doubt that part of the limitation of the production in the RS is partially given by 3rd party vendor parts supply but given enough time and money that can be overcome.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:29 AM
blackbull
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oc997
That's actually harder to get than a RS and it's pretty much already sold out to 918 owners.
Here's a thought...once the "R" becomes available GT3 owners could swap in the entire drivetrain or just get the tranny brackets, computers etc. then swap!!

Quick Reply: Why no GT3 RS for me, why try to sell me things I dont want-venting