Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Overfill Porsche 991 GT3 911 – Easy removal of excess oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 06:02 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I did my first DIY oil change on my 2015 991 GTS. I have purchased an oil container for disposal and to my surprise the container comes with a measuring scale in Liters and US Quarts. I use it to get a rough estimate of how much oil I have taken out +/- the residue on the oil pan and I put the same amount in. I trust this method better than the measuring sensor.
Attached Images    
Old 05-11-2016, 06:08 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

The only thing you will be missing is the amount in the oil filter. I fill the filter with oil before I start the oil change. That gives the media time soak up the oil.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:49 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
The only thing you will be missing is the amount in the oil filter. I fill the filter with oil before I start the oil change. That gives the media time soak up the oil.
I do the same, I pour about half a quart into the oil filter just to get it wet.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:35 PM
siswati
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrhamamg
Hi guys,

I'm trying to follow OPs instructions however I can't seem to hit oil. Oil temp warmed to 160, same devices he purchased, but I can't seem to wiggle the tube it to hit any oil. Any thoughts on this?

I should add that I seem to be hitting something blocking me from going further down. Once I hit this "blocker" and pull the tube out, there's not even any oil on the tip of it. Also, the oil cap is completely clean and has no oil residue on it. Somehow I think something is blocking it...
Hi Mrhamag. Seeing as how I got this thread started let me respond - From the oil filler opening, you need to "wiggle" and "rotate" the PVC tube forward (towards the front of the car) and to center (towards the center of the engine). It will take some experimentation. After encountering blockages every step of the way, you will find the one sweet spot where the tube will continue downwards and will end up in oil. Just be gentle and take your time. I had heard that there was NO WAY to get it into the oil, but I struck oil after about 5 minutes of wiggling, rotating, reinserting etc. Stick with it, you will get it.

My PVC tube had a slight curve in it from the pack I bought it in, maybe this curve helped find the "opening".

On a side note, while removing the oil got me back into the green gauge area again, after about 2 months my oil level sensor failed, so this sensor has its issues.

Good luck
Old 05-11-2016, 10:31 PM
mrhamamg
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by siswati
Hi Mrhamag. Seeing as how I got this thread started let me respond - From the oil filler opening, you need to "wiggle" and "rotate" the PVC tube forward (towards the front of the car) and to center (towards the center of the engine). It will take some experimentation. After encountering blockages every step of the way, you will find the one sweet spot where the tube will continue downwards and will end up in oil. Just be gentle and take your time. I had heard that there was NO WAY to get it into the oil, but I struck oil after about 5 minutes of wiggling, rotating, reinserting etc. Stick with it, you will get it.

My PVC tube had a slight curve in it from the pack I bought it in, maybe this curve helped find the "opening".

On a side note, while removing the oil got me back into the green gauge area again, after about 2 months my oil level sensor failed, so this sensor has its issues.

Good luck
Thank you for chiming in. I spent an hour turning and pushing etc and couldn't get past the final point of resistance. I don't have an overfill, just wanted to take a sample to send to black stone labs for analysis. Taking it for oil change next week so I guess I'll cross my fingers and hope they keep a sample for me.

Guess this is just another failed oil drilling expedition
Old 12-06-2016, 04:51 AM
GT63TT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my oil change. I added 6 quarts before starting the car. The cluster indicated at min. level so I added another quart. Once added the light said overfill. I assume I've added 1/2 a quart too much. What should I do?
Old 12-06-2016, 06:15 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would loosen the oil pan plug just enough to let a bit of oil to drain. Very simple and fairly easy without very much of a mess.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:42 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

It's possible the tubing you have is too stiff. Also if you get the tube in as far as you can and just leave it for a couple of minutes the engine will heat the tube and make it a bit more compliant.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:26 PM
vichang4
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question I did it once!

The first time my high oil light came on I used a suction pump and a single long tube and was able to extract some oil. Since that time I have been unable to get deep enough even after 3 or 4 separate attempts. I thought I must have dreamed about the first successful attempt, but now I know my sanity is still intact.

Or am I imagining this entire thread????
Old 12-31-2016, 02:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
I would loosen the oil pan plug just enough to let a bit of oil to drain. Very simple and fairly easy without very much of a mess.
Agree....this is what I've done. If you're slow and careful unscrewing the plug "just enough", it's easy to let the oil dribble into a graduated container so you can measure out exactly how much oil you want to drain.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:34 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Agree....this is what I've done. If you're slow and careful unscrewing the plug "just enough", it's easy to let the oil dribble into a graduated container so you can measure out exactly how much oil you want to drain.
Mike, where you been? I was getting a little worried about you. Nice to see you back.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Mike, where you been? I was getting a little worried about you. Nice to see you back.
Thanks, bronson. Been busy with other things and although I've checked in from time to time, I haven't had anything intelligent to add. (When did that ever stop me before, right? ). Anyway, Happy New Year to you!
Old 01-02-2017, 02:14 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but Blackstone sells a nice little vacuum pump which holds one of their sample bottles. If you can get the hose in it makes getting a sample simple. I've used it for samples between oil changes.

I might have accidentally inserted that vacuum pump in my ear the day I traded my GT3 for the GT4. Can't remember.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:05 PM
GT63TT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
Drove over 1000 miles on a yellow light. I called service advisor the day of the light and was told to address at my next oil change. Realize the yellow light triggers at a really low range. I believe the range for a yellow warning light is from 200-800 cc. No engine is blowing out from this amount of overfill. Not to stereotype but lots of OCD with GT3 owners.
So I guess I shouldn't worry. I believe mine is overfilled but by a very very small amount. Only when the car gets hot does it indicate overfill. w that said I've ordered the tools to remediate set issues based off OP.

I wonder; will the oil burn off and eventually even out for me. Once again its a very minor overfill.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:20 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GT63TT
So I guess I shouldn't worry. I believe mine is overfilled but by a very very small amount. Only when the car gets hot does it indicate overfill. w that said I've ordered the tools to remediate set issues based off OP.

I wonder; will the oil burn off and eventually even out for me. Once again its a very minor overfill.
You have to run it hard on long rides, just going for many short leisurely rides could actually make it worse with potential condensation building up, thus making the reading higher.

Quick Reply: Oil Overfill Porsche 991 GT3 911 – Easy removal of excess oil