Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 ECU Tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 06:20 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As one of the guys that just experienced an engine problem, all I can say is that I was very glad I didn't have to deal with the anxiety of having modded the ECU. Although I didn't end up needing a new engine, I imagine Porsche would love to have a reason not to fund a replacement. I think ECU mods, headers and slicks will be great post-warranty mods but it just doesn't seem worth the risk at this point.
The following users liked this post:
anoni.bob (11-05-2022)
Old 12-23-2015, 06:34 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts

49lbs isn't going to make a big difference on this car and I doubt most people can tell the difference.

Likewise, where's the dyno chart of a tune that promises over 25hp without hardware mods?
Old 12-23-2015, 06:39 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tqevo
49lbs isn't going to make a big difference on this car and I doubt most people can tell the difference.

Likewise, where's the dyno chart of a tune that promises over 25hp without hardware mods?
Its not 25 without exhaust mods.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:12 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts

The OP is unclear. What mods? Again, where's the dyno?
Old 12-23-2015, 07:44 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 157 Likes on 81 Posts

33 more HP from the GT3 with just an ECU tune and an exhaust. And here Porsche themselves only got an extra 25 in the RS with an ECU tune, engine mods, and more displacement. Yikes. Guess they're just not trying hard enough...
Old 12-23-2015, 09:26 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 149 Posts

As far as porsche voiding warranty, I've spoken to a number of techs and others both PCNA and PAG, they all say they have to prove that the failure was caused by the changes made to the ECU if they deny a warranty claim. To that end, I completely understand those that don't want to risk it. This is why we're looking at tuning the car the way we are. Undetectable, doesn't advance the flash counter, leaving the CEL alone (our exhaust doesn't need it, even without cats), and only changing the few things necessary for the headers/engine to perform at their optimum (no rev limit changes, no extra ignition advance etc...).[/QUOTE]

i may be in a very small minority here but i think this is unethical - porsche should not be responsible for paying for repairs / new engines etc if we choose to change the ECU operating parameters. i am all for tuning when it makes sense, but i expect to pick up the repair costs if i do; putting a car back to stock and expecting porsche to fix it does not seem quite right to me.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
As far as porsche voiding warranty, I've spoken to a number of techs and others both PCNA and PAG, they all say they have to prove that the failure was caused by the changes made to the ECU if they deny a warranty claim. To that end, I completely understand those that don't want to risk it. This is why we're looking at tuning the car the way we are. Undetectable, doesn't advance the flash counter, leaving the CEL alone (our exhaust doesn't need it, even without cats), and only changing the few things necessary for the headers/engine to perform at their optimum (no rev limit changes, no extra ignition advance etc...).
[/QUOTE] I may be in a very small minority here but i think this is unethical - porsche should not be responsible for paying for repairs / new engines etc if we choose to change the ECU operating parameters. i am all for tuning when it makes sense, but i expect to pick up the repair costs if i do; putting a car back to stock and expecting porsche to fix it does not seem quite right to me.[/QUOTE]

Agreed...but many douchebags want to play but not pay
Old 12-23-2015, 09:44 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

i may be in a very small minority here but i think this is unethical - porsche should not be responsible for paying for repairs / new engines etc if we choose to change the ECU operating parameters. i am all for tuning when it makes sense, but i expect to pick up the repair costs if i do; putting a car back to stock and expecting porsche to fix it does not seem quite right to me.
Agree with you only if the ECU tuning caused something to damage the motor. If there is a motor failure due to an issue with components used by Porsche in the build (i.e the last engine recall) then your argument goes out the door. The motor issue was not caused by improving on the fuel/air mixture via the ECU but the faulty rod bolts supplied by Porsche. Another example would be the 997 GT3/RS with the recall to have the intake manifold replaced because there was a chance a bolt could come lose and be sucked into the motor. This would be careless on Porsches part and would be up to them to replace the motor not you just because you had an ECU tune and turned the car back to stock.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:51 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Agree with you only if the ECU tuning caused something to damage the motor. If there is a motor failure due to an issue with components used by Porsche in the build (i.e the last engine recall) then your argument goes out the door. The motor issue was not caused by improving on the fuel/air mixture via the ECU but the faulty rod bolts supplied by Porsche. Another example would be the 997 GT3/RS with the recall to have the intake manifold replaced because there was a chance a bolt could come lose and be sucked into the motor. This would be careless on Porsches part and would be up to them to replace the motor not you just because you had an ECU tune and turned the car back to stock.
Absolutely, Porsche should still have to prove a modification caused the failure, but any changes should be disclosed to porsche and not hidden or removed to allow a fair diagnosis. i am sure Porsche would not be able to deny a recall due to any modifications as the part has proven to be faulty for all cars.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:06 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Absolutely, Porsche should still have to prove a modification caused the failure, but any changes should be disclosed to porsche and not hidden or removed to allow a fair diagnosis. i am sure Porsche would not be able to deny a recall due to any modifications as the part has proven to be faulty for all cars.
Agree with this.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:23 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 432 Likes on 183 Posts

Simple solution. have you tune done by Champion Motorsports.
They warranty any failure due to their tune/mods.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:38 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl911
Simple solution. have you tune done by Champion Motorsports.
Can't locate anything on their site regarding a ECU flash/tune?
Old 12-24-2015, 03:50 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl911
Riiiiight. If you think Porsche is fast at blaming something else for a failure, just wait until there is a $75k engine replacement bill that Porsche claims is the tune and the tune vendor blames on Porsche.

Quick Reply: GT3 ECU Tuning?