Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
I said clearly mid range torque
but cat air restricting a 9krpm capable
engine will release a tiger once ecu "remapped"
either at high revs so all matters 508 HP as well

if you lose emissions and mpg who cares
...and what if you tune a 991RS? Will you get 525hp and more torque?
Old 12-23-2015, 03:58 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

RS tuning not worth the 100k saving
as for the GT3 case

seriously the purpose of the thread
is to collect GT3 owners experiences

the spicey to beat on track a stock RS with 5k
is value added but not the topic
Old 12-23-2015, 04:14 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

Unleash the dragon
I only put 100 octane race gas
Street car but I drive on track only
Emitting more exhausts
Old 12-23-2015, 12:09 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most efficient burn (and cleanest) is with lower fuel volume than max power at any given RPM. Given all the push for emissions, where do think Porsche set these?

Heat generated is also lower at max power vs max efficiently.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:00 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 888 Likes on 336 Posts

So you think putting a piggyback computer on a $150K car with known engine fragility is a good idea for 25hp? Ok.

If you want to tune a car for more hp, the TT/TTS is a much better platform.
The following users liked this post:
Apan19 (05-08-2020)
Old 12-23-2015, 01:11 PM
Ryan Gates
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had EvoMS tune the ECU after installing the Akrapovic Evo Race exhaust. With the car breathing easier the ECU needed to be mapped accordingly, defeating the CEL was a bonus. It's not a night and day difference power-wise with the tune (and exhaust), but there was some to be gained. Porsche of Minneapolis' new facility has a dyno... I would like to get a stock 991 GT3 to compare with while we're bored this winter.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:22 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll keep my warranty, personally
Old 12-23-2015, 02:22 PM
SDGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Well here is my $.02. Having warranty experience with Porsche I can state with 100% confidence that you will negate all warranty with any changes to the ECU and frankly I would side with Porsche on this. Since most people are not able to drive their GT3 to the full potential...me included...I would spend the money on coaching. Going faster in a straight line is cool for a short time but is a skill virtually all drivers have. I would suggest a muscle car from the 70s for that purpose!
Old 12-23-2015, 02:33 PM
Ryan Gates
Track Day

Originally Posted by SDGT3
Well here is my $.02. Having warranty experience with Porsche I can state with 100% confidence that you will negate all warranty with any changes to the ECU and frankly I would side with Porsche on this. Since most people are not able to drive their GT3 to the full potential...me included...I would spend the money on coaching. Going faster in a straight line is cool for a short time but is a skill virtually all drivers have. I would suggest a muscle car from the 70s for that purpose!
My goal certainly wasn't to gain horsepower, as you said there are much better cars for that. The goal was to ensure the car is running properly with the installed freer flowing Akrapovic Evo Race system (headers, HF cats, center muffler). Any gains were a bonus. The real bonus was the 49lbs. of weight removed from the rear of the car with the exhaust and subsequently clearing the CEL with a tune.

I totally see both sides, but in our case the tune was a necessity.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:21 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

A lot of you are giving your .02 cents and thats fine. You have valid points, and you choose not to flash your ECU, fine, its your car. However, don't knock the advantages until you've actually driven the car with the flash. It's not dick measuring contest that you can say "I have 500+ HP" now, it's the overall drivability and liveliness of the engine now that it was lacking....Especially mid range.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:04 PM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SDGT3

I couldn't agree anymore!
Old 12-23-2015, 05:08 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Be careful with piggybacks. Flashing the ECU itself is fine as the car still get's true sensor input and can react to things out of the norm. A piggy back is changing the voltages going into and out of the ECU, not a good recipe for the car being able to recognize a fault condition and reacting appropriately to it.

As far as porsche voiding warranty, I've spoken to a number of techs and others both PCNA and PAG, they all say they have to prove that the failure was caused by the changes made to the ECU if they deny a warranty claim. To that end, I completely understand those that don't want to risk it. This is why we're looking at tuning the car the way we are. Undetectable, doesn't advance the flash counter, leaving the CEL alone (our exhaust doesn't need it, even without cats), and only changing the few things necessary for the headers/engine to perform at their optimum (no rev limit changes, no extra ignition advance etc...).
Old 12-23-2015, 05:37 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
So you think putting a piggyback computer on a $150K car with known engine fragility is a good idea for 25hp? Ok.

If you want to tune a car for more hp, the TT/TTS is a much better platform.
+1 given how many have gotten engine replacements here in Texas, this is the last car I would mod in any way - including headers. I wouldn't want to get into a pissing match with pcna about keeping my car functional.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:02 PM
Banned

If the car isn't fast enough for you then you suck at , braking,corner entry speed ,corner speed and corner exit speed.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:03 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

removing Euro6 emission Lady burocrat restrictions from GT3 monster
doesn t bother nor will affect the engine in any form

Quick Reply: GT3 ECU Tuning?