Sponsored by:

Xpel advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 11:12 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Xpel advice needed!

Hi guys, I just bought a Black 2016 GT3 (Pictures coming soon!) and I'm thinking to cover the bumpers with Xpel Ultimate. I haven't seen the product in person and don't know what to expect. I called my local Certified Installer and he asked me why I don't want to do the whole car.
I wanted to tell him I don't like plastic on my fornitures...I don't know, Ive never seen it in person and thought maybe the film is really obvious?
I can't stand the idea of staring at plastic...
I'm also doing the Opti-coat on the whole car.
I asked if he would cut the film to size but he said he uses precut sheets with holes for the rear letters and doesn't wrap the edges.
I didn't expect that, what's your take on this?
Old 12-16-2015, 11:22 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Lots of discussion on this on the GT4 forum with a lot of good info about the pluses and minuses of different products and coverages. Look for the 'paint protection film' thread. Rule #1 is the key to a good wrap is the installer. Find out who is best in your area before doing anything. Also, edges need to be tucked or it looks awful.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:19 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

+1
I would film the front of the car, mirrors, rocker panels with higher hips, area behind the rear wheel well, door edges. If you track your car do the front 10" of the roof and the edges of the windshield.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:01 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Get a paint correction / detail first. Then XPEL. As indicated above, get a good installer that will adjust the pattern and tuck where they can. My guy adjusted the pattern to be able to tuck. Can't do it everywhere. I've found that the leading edge of the door, leading edge on the rear quarter tend to build up residue if it isn't tucked in those places. Same with top of rocker panels.

This has XPEL on the fenders, hood, and front. I did a paint correction first. Can't even see the XPEL.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:16 AM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I had EXPEL done on :
Entire bumbers, hood, fenders, mirrors, rockers, rear quarter panels including wheel wells. I was told if I did anymore than that, might as well wrap entire car. My previous car was wrapped in 3m and this EXPEL is much better.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:25 AM
tono
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always used an installer that can wrap the edges. I use modern image in San Diego as their work has always been top notch. I have had XPel and 3m and prefer the 3M thus far. I am not a fan of the precut kits that do not protect the edges. At the very least I would do the front facia, hood, fenders, rockers, mirrors and front of rear quarters. These last ones tend to get beat up quite a bit on these cars.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:51 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,731 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Buy the installer, not the product.

Ask around your local area for recommendations. Then go and talk to the installer, look at his/her work (they should have actual cars in the shop in the process for you to look at).

Whether you get Xpel or Suntek is really a matter of which product your installer feels most comfortable using. Both are excellent and each has their pros/cons.

Again, bottom line, buy the installer. Not the PPF.

Congrats on the car. Enjoy.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:00 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Here's my thread on my jet black metallic GT4 getting a full xpel wrap. I wouldn't have a black car without a full wrap...

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/903568-jbm-detailing-and-xpel-wrap-in-progress.html
Old 12-17-2015, 02:21 AM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
Hi guys, I just bought a Black 2016 GT3 (Pictures coming soon!) and I'm thinking to cover the bumpers with Xpel Ultimate. I haven't seen the product in person and don't know what to expect. I called my local Certified Installer and he asked me why I don't want to do the whole car.
I wanted to tell him I don't like plastic on my fornitures...I don't know, Ive never seen it in person and thought maybe the film is really obvious?
I can't stand the idea of staring at plastic...
I'm also doing the Opti-coat on the whole car.
I asked if he would cut the film to size but he said he uses precut sheets with holes for the rear letters and doesn't wrap the edges.
I didn't expect that, what's your take on this?
You need to find a different installer that is capable of doing at least some custom work and wrapping.

Though I went for xpel on my white car, I would do Suntek on a black car.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:28 AM
MoeGt3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is an RS that was done in Dubai, it has XPEL Stealth applied to the car. I know u are not having the whole car done. But looks too good and had to share it

Old 12-17-2015, 08:21 AM
Birel22
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted a few more pics in my delivery thread. The last ones are of the completed product with film and coating. As stated above, paint correction is key. A good installer will make the film nearly invisible. An entire wrap is major $$$ and overkill IMHO.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...y-finally.html
Old 12-17-2015, 09:38 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeGt3
Here is an RS that was done in Dubai, it has XPEL Stealth applied to the car. I know u are not having the whole car done. But looks too good and had to share it
I really like that. Never seen stealth XPel before. Wonder how that would look on a white car?
Old 12-17-2015, 09:55 AM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys! Birel22 I think we got twins! Black with red stitching, same color rims but I have Dunlops on.

I've read many threads about protective films but I haven't seen one about precut films where even the letters are precut, isn't that gonna look funny? Installer told me there will be 1/8" around the letters. Or he can cut but the letters have to be removed (I knew that) and he'll have to order new letters because they'll get damaged during the process (didn't know that! And doesn't sound right).
Anyway your cars look top notch including the stealth matte finish! But again without seeing it in person it's just impossible to tell.
I'm in Northeast in the Northern Virginia Area and I would prefer going with an installer that has been recommended here, the one I've contacted is the one on the Xpel installer locator.
I can PM the quote I got for both bumpers and mirrors (haven't talked to him about detailing and coating) but I don't think I want to get a wrap that doesn't fold inside the seams because I don't want to constantly see those film edges where wax builds up.
AJW45 that last picture in your thread man! I want to put the NAV module for the rear camera, how much is it with installation? How do you select the front camera?!?
Can anyone personally recommend an Xpel shop in the Northern Virginia Area?
Old 12-17-2015, 09:56 AM
Birel22
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are a couple pics of XPEL Stealth on my brother-in-law's Sepang Blue R8 (coated with C-Quartz as well). Matte isn't for everyone but it definitely is a look that stands out!
Attached Images   
Old 12-17-2015, 10:22 AM
bills742
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I live in Ellicott City, Maryland which is just up the road from you. I have my GT3 and Golf R completely wrapped by two different local installers. I've been trough 4-5 installers over the years so I feel like I know this territory pretty well! You're more than welcome to come by and check out the quality of the work on my cars. I'm happy with both, and they're relatively close in price.

Quick Reply: Xpel advice needed!