Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xpel advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 10:34 AM
Mike Calloway
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stealth Xpel looks awesome. I wonder how it looks on Agate Grey. OP I Recommend Xpel and have the Opti-Coat applied on top of it.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:43 AM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bills742
I live in Ellicott City, Maryland which is just up the road from you. I have my GT3 and Golf R completely wrapped by two different local installers. I've been trough 4-5 installers over the years so I feel like I know this territory pretty well! You're more than welcome to come by and check out the quality of the work on my cars. I'm happy with both, and they're relatively close in price.
Thanks! Yes we are pretty close, which shop did you like best?
Old 12-17-2015, 12:35 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
I want to put the NAV module for the rear camera, how much is it with installation? How do you select the front camera?!?
Having both cameras put in was over $2k but I imagine just doing the rear camera would be a lot less expensive both from a hardware and labor perspective. The front camera is activated by double tapping the oem defroster button, very trick!
Old 12-17-2015, 01:15 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

My Jet black gt4 is currently having Suntek applied to it. The installer showed me the difference between Xpel and Suntek and recommended Suntek on darker colored cars because of the orange peel effect that Xpel gives off. Xpel is thicker and harder to work with. It is also less shiny and has a very faint orange peel effect. Xpel offers better protection, while Suntek is easier to work with and looks better. My OCD would not tolerate the slight haze Xpel produces on black. Do the full front bumper, hood, mirrors, front fenders, side skirts, rear fenders and wing.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:15 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Fwiw, I had XPel Ultimate put on my car and you can see the lines when you look hard but you don't notice the film. Thus doing the whole car might be a way to avoid seeing the lines and never knowing it is there? I had C Quartz put over top and so far I'm very happy.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:28 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,788 Likes on 4,777 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
My Jet black gt4 is currently having Suntek applied to it. The installer showed me the difference between Xpel and Suntek and recommended Suntek on darker colored cars because of the orange peel effect that Xpel gives off. Xpel is thicker and harder to work with. It is also less shiny and has a very faint orange peel effect. Xpel offers better protection, while Suntek is easier to work with and looks better. My OCD would not tolerate the slight haze Xpel produces on black. Do the full front bumper, hood, mirrors, front fenders, side skirts, rear fenders and wing.
Funny, but I've heard the exact opposite between Xpel versus Suntek.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:20 PM
pmpsch
Instructor

Originally Posted by MoeGt3
Here is an RS that was done in Dubai, it has XPEL Stealth applied to the car. I know u are not having the whole car done. But looks too good and had to share it

That car looks very familiar. A real beauty. What's even better you don't have to wash it daily!
Old 12-18-2015, 12:52 AM
03LX470
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeGt3
Here is an RS that was done in Dubai, it has XPEL Stealth applied to the car. I know u are not having the whole car done. But looks too good and had to share it

That does look very nice. Who carries Xpel in Dubai?
Old 12-18-2015, 02:09 AM
bills742
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My go to shop now is auto armour in Columbia. Cliff has entirely wrapped four vehicles for me and people are astonished at the quality. You really would be hard pressed to know it's there. He uses SunTek.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:06 AM
MoeGt3
Racer

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I really like that. Never seen stealth XPel before. Wonder how that would look on a white car?
It is actually a very debatable topic cause we have a group of friends that own white 3's. I think it would look really sick if you can maintain it and wash it as recommended. Like a frost white Aventador looks sick in real life (Real paint not PPF Just as a small reference to get an idea ). Will show u a friends car because I am still to see anyone do a Stealth PPF on a white 3..

Originally Posted by pmpsch
That car looks very familiar. A real beauty. What's even better you don't have to wash it daily!
You wouldn't have to wash it every day but you would have to maintain it. Especially on a white car if you are going with the clear film over time it can start to turn yellowish. I think once a month you do need to wash and shampoo it in the correct manner at the car wash.

Originally Posted by 03LX470
That does look very nice. Who carries Xpel in Dubai?
The Xpel distributor is Trader-X in DIP and the head trainee himself is there. But there are other shops that carry the products. If you need some help send me a PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:48 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bills742
My go to shop now is auto armour in Columbia. Cliff has entirely wrapped four vehicles for me and people are astonished at the quality. You really would be hard pressed to know it's there. He uses SunTek.
Thanks, I emailed him Friday but haven't heard back yet (weekends must be crazy for them).

Anyway what is the general consensus on precut bumper films (with precut letters) and non edge wrapping?
Old 12-21-2015, 12:33 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I really like that. Never seen stealth XPel before. Wonder how that would look on a white car?
We are wrapping a white 991 gt3 with Xpel Stealth this week. I will be sure to share pictures and video.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:37 AM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
We are wrapping a white 991 gt3 with Xpel Stealth this week. I will be sure to share pictures and video.
Can I ask your opinion on Xpel precut bumper films (with precut letters) and non edge wrapping?
Old 12-21-2015, 08:21 AM
MoeGt3
Racer

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
Something Im looking forward to see
Old 12-21-2015, 10:10 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
Can I ask your opinion on Xpel precut bumper films (with precut letters) and non edge wrapping?
No good. While I understand someone not wanting the letters removed, the best looking install includes removal of the emblems and no relief for emblems. This is the best looking install that also has the least room for debris build up on edges.

Not wrapping the outside edges of a bumper is not okay with me.

Quick Reply: Xpel advice needed!