Sponsored by:

Ferrari of Palm Beach had 6 488s

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 08:58 AM
991 3Turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Your opinion is your own. Mine is mine. I've driven a 458 and a 650S both on regular road and on a track. The 458 stirs the senses and the soul much more than the 650, though the 650 was slightly faster around the track. I made this decision myself from personal experience in both cars.

If all the magazine reviewers agree with me, then I suppose we both have good taste.

A Mclaren is an amazing technical achievement, but it lacks the character, beauty, sound, and soul of a Ferrari and so it doesn't interest me. If you like Mclarens, then good for you, but that's just your opinion.

With the turbo 488, Ferrari has taken a big step toward making their mid-engine flagship indistinguishable from the Mclaren and that is cause to mourn. The posers who always have to own the newest Ferrari will still buy their 488s, but I will be happy to purchase a low miles 458 in 2 years and I expect I will never sell that car.

I say hogwash also. Chris Harris LOVES the Mac. Says for an overall street and track car its amazing. He has been driving a long term loaner and loves it.

I personally love the Mac. Just can't insure one or I would have one now in the garage.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:57 AM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a 458 spider and on the shortlist for the 488 spider. Definitely stirs the soul like no other marquee. There is something mystical about owning a mid engine Ferrari. I miss that 562hp wail, like a banshee. I will wait to test drive one before rendering an opinion on turbo. I heard the 488 looks awesome in the flesh from a close friend.

That being said the gt3 is a superior DD. Better visibility, smoother in auto mode and most importantly less attention garnering. I went to the grocery store twice last week as well as my boxing lessons. No stress.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:35 AM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Another bonus point for the gt3 is not suffering mileage and resale anxiety like with fcars. There are all these algorithms that take into account depreciation based on years and mileage for mid engine fcars. Colleagues used to comment that I was driving my spider too much. Ridiculous.

In fairness, I did get out of the spider before the 488 arrived in dealerships and resale took a hit. Otw I would still have one in the garage.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:36 AM
FRP||
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
If you're on the 991 GT3 forums and can't accept a turbo in a performance car, you're probably a troll. The 991 GT3 owners are generally the people that accept the future of cars and motorsports. I'm sure you guys said the same thing when they killed the manual option in Ferrari's. It's the future. Who cares about the turbo. In 10 years, that same Ferrari will be 100% electric, and it will be amazing.
This is nonsense. Having a preference that falls outside the inane, politically driven emissions bs absolutely does not make one a troll. If anything your post falls squarely in the troll category.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:35 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, and Mclarens have been powerful, yet soulless from the beginning.

I'll take a 458 in 2 years thank you very much. The 488 doesn't interest me.

You drive a Ferrari for the overall experience, not for the track times.
Sounds like both the 570 and 675 are anything but soulless, I'm really loving these two models from mclaren. I drove a 12c and didn't like it but it looks like mclaren is learning at an incredibly fast rate with their new models which appear to be highly emotional. I drove a 458 at quite high speed I might add and found it actually quite soulless, not as bad as the 12c but nothing special either, especially at low speeds.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:36 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by FRP||
This is nonsense. Having a preference that falls outside the inane, politically driven emissions bs absolutely does not make one a troll. If anything your post falls squarely in the troll category.
Well said!
Old 12-12-2015, 07:51 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
Maybe. I just know that I MUCH prefer my normally aspirated motored 911s to my Turbo. Linear acceleration and exhaust note are no joke. The Teslas leave me COLD -- I'm not a fan of a car that sounds like a hair dryer.
Everything I've read leads me to believe that the 488 feels and sounds naturally aspirated. And that Ferrari spent alot of time and money making sure that was the case.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:35 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 432 Likes on 183 Posts

What i do not understand, is why did they program the ECU to drive like a NA engine. Seem like it is defeating the purpose of the turbos!
But then, I am sure a tuner can fix that.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:49 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by zirrah
Everything I've read leads me to believe that the 488 feels and sounds naturally aspirated. And that Ferrari spent alot of time and money making sure that was the case.
Agree. Everything I've read indicates Ferrari has made the 488 feel like driving a NA car, more than any other turbo car in the world.

That is an achievement to be celebrated, but I will still mourn the loss of the Ferrari screaming mid-engine flat-plane V8.

Hopefully some of the other car companies can learn from this to make other turbo cars more enjoyable to drive. I've preferred the NA version over the turbo version of every car I've every driven from every car manufacturer. I enjoy torque and I've really tried to like turbo cars, including Porsche's, but none of them have been that satisfying to drive for me personally. YMMV

Last edited by Drifting; 12-13-2015 at 05:08 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:53 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree. Everything I've read indicates Ferrari has made the 488 feel like driving a NA car, more than any other turbo car in the world.

That is an achievement to be celebrated, but I will still mourn the loss of the Ferrari screaming mid-engine flat-plane V8.

Hopefully some of the other car companies can learn from this to make other turbo cars more enjoyable to drive. I've preferred the NA version over the turbo version of every car I've every driven from every car manufacturer. I enjoy torque and I've really tried to like turbo cars, including Porsche's, but none of them have been that satisfying to drive for me personally. YMMV
Old 12-13-2015, 01:02 PM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Videos of the 488 exhaust sound are not what you expect from a Ferrari though. It doesn't have the high pitch wail of of the 458 or the Scud at all. It sounds "good" but doesn't have the spine tingling banshee wail to me.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:52 AM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

They where at PBIR doing dealer teaching the other day
Old 12-14-2015, 12:21 PM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
Gorgeous car....too bad it's a Turbo IMO....
Even Ferrari has to go Turbo now to keep up with the Competition.
They haven't had a Turbo since the F40.

I saw someone write that they had somer inside knowledge. Something to the effect that Porsche will offer a 911 GT3 of some sort near the end of the 991.2's run that they will offer a Forced Induction.

Another bonus point for the gt3 is not suffering mileage and resale anxiety like with fcars. There are all these algorithms that take into account depreciation based on years and mileage for mid engine fcars. Colleagues used to comment that I was driving my spider too much. Ridiculous.

In fairness, I did get out of the spider before the 488 arrived in dealerships and resale took a hit. Otw I would still have one in the garage.
I love Ferrari's, Absolutely. But from exactly what you stated it is not a driver's car it's a collector's car. Can't afford one, yet, but if I could ever buy an F12 Berlinetta it would rack up the miles. There would only be a very small number of car's I would collect and rarely drive. If I am not going to drive it then it should be in my Portfolio and cars, some, behave as such.

Last edited by The New 911; 12-14-2015 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Ferrari of Palm Beach had 6 488s