Notices

GT350

Old 12-12-2015, 06:41 PM
mos996tt
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine was just dropped off this past week - track package...put a set of snow tires on since it is my DD an still breaking it in but will take to track in spring. Exhaust note is the reason i got the car...has sport switch so highway cruising is actually nice/no drone. Rowing gears with Sport on is intoxicating...sounds like my Maserati GTS but a little louder and more obnoxious and a manual Sharp handling and turn in, even with winter tires, and typical tail happiness to make it fun on backroads (doesnt push as much as i expected). Will report back with more details after it is broken in ... havent gone much past 5K yet.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:16 PM
lumber
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

^nice
Old 12-12-2015, 09:28 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 991 3Turbo
Unless you got one of the 2015 R's, of which there were only 37, there weren't any real production R's in 2016 built till the last few weeks so of course the prices are way elevated, but I haven't seen any at all even to bid on.

They will come available. I really do think this car is a long term collectable, and you could drive it every day. They even sell back seat kits for the car for $1995 which look factory.

I was offered two non-R's at MSRP(2016) at my dealer when they were first announced, but at 5000/year anticipated production, I want a chance at an R so I passed. The difference in the two is much greater than one initially thinks, with the carbon wheels and other tidbits making it a much better handler. The R exhaust sounds WAY better also.

Pobst LOVES the car.

If one ever had the chance to buy a 2015 for under 100K, that would be impossible to pass up for a collectible.
Just to comment on the exhaust - both the GT350/GT350R have the exact same motor. There is no difference in sound if you remove the resonators - if you like the R sound then just remove the resonators which Ford left on the GT350.

CF wheels or other lightweight race wheels can be purchased also - and of course backseats can be removed. I personally don't think the R is as great a bargain as a Track Option GT350 at 56k. It reminds me of my Laguna Seca - sweet R compound tires and all but an extra 7 grand was really a couple of tweaks a set of tires and limited numbers.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:43 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by mos996tt
Mine was just dropped off this past week - track package...put a set of snow tires on since it is my DD an still breaking it in but will take to track in spring. Exhaust note is the reason i got the car...has sport switch so highway cruising is actually nice/no drone. Rowing gears with Sport on is intoxicating...sounds like my Maserati GTS but a little louder and more obnoxious and a manual Sharp handling and turn in, even with winter tires, and typical tail happiness to make it fun on backroads (doesnt push as much as i expected). Will report back with more details after it is broken in ... havent gone much past 5K yet.
Congrats - you're lucky to get yours already. I'm still waiting - there was a seatbelt recall and been stuck at Dearborn since it was built on Oct 23 with a bunch others.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:16 PM
991 3Turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Just to comment on the exhaust - both the GT350/GT350R have the exact same motor. There is no difference in sound if you remove the resonators - if you like the R sound then just remove the resonators which Ford left on the GT350.

CF wheels or other lightweight race wheels can be purchased also - and of course backseats can be removed. I personally don't think the R is as great a bargain as a Track Option GT350 at 56k. It reminds me of my Laguna Seca - sweet R compound tires and all but an extra 7 grand was really a couple of tweaks a set of tires and limited numbers.

Its common knowledge the engine is the same, since they have the same exact specs?????? You can try to make yours an R equivalent, but it still won't be an R. All the experts who have driven it so far say the R is far better, especially with turning and overall handling. Really good quality lightweight wheels will cost you 7k, and it still won't be factory, which is part of the appeal of the overall package.

The R sounds far better(perfect!!!!!!!!). I don't want to mess with perfection again then it won't be stock which is fantastic

The non R will be easy to pick up at any time. The R will be much more valuable in the long run and harder to get--people are absolutely salivating over
this car, and the pick as COTY makes it more appealing as well.

I expect the ceramics will return in coming years as an option to compete with the new Z.

Have fun with your cars!!!
Old 12-12-2015, 10:30 PM
Para82
Race Car

I agree the R is amazing and also rare - but I actually prefer the track option GT350 - 13k diamond wheels make me nervous - I was just making a point about what I thought was better value. Also resonators are little pieces of metal that bolt out of the pipes pretty easy on these - they put them on all the Boss 302 to meet noise regs and removing them was pretty standard to hear the louder (better) sound.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:53 PM
991 3Turbo
Racer

I agree the R is amazing and also rare - but I actually prefer the track option GT350 - 13k diamond wheels make me nervous - I was just making a point about what I thought was better value. Also resonators are little pieces of metal that bolt out of the pipes pretty easy on these - they put them on all the Boss 302 to meet noise regs and removing them was pretty standard to hear the louder (better) sound.

You are absolutely correct in that the base is GREAT value. My worry is I won't trust anyone to mount new tires!!!!! If you are going to mod it and really race it a lot you definitely are doing the right thing.

At least you have something to drive!!! Im always waiting for something
Old 12-13-2015, 12:53 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Mine won't be stock for very long. Could care less if it has an R or not on the back. Car will be driven daily and used a back up car for my track rat.
I have no doubt in my mind that aftermarket stuff can get a gt350 to perform better than stock R model.
The R might become a collectible if kept stock and not driven. Whatever makes you happy.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:33 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Was looking at the GT350. I am on the list at my dealer for one. I am holding out for an R but will not pay ADMs for it.

Ford is going to make 1000 per year of the R's so I am expecting supply to increase. The car will be a 3-4 year run. I expect yearly improvements and tweaks.

The GT350 is expected to be produced in 3000-4000 per year Again supply will increase and I expect prices to drop and used examples to hit the market. Further, I want to see if the FPC motor will hold up. Ford had vibration issues, heat issues and oil consumption issues in development and the FPC has never been built in a displacement as large as a 5.2.

The ADMs on R are stupid. Some dealers want over $100K for the R's. Now your in Viper territory or Z06 territory.

Further, expect the ZL1 and the new Z28 to give the GT350 and R real competition.

I don't think the GT350 or the R will be collectible if the production figures above occur. There is a demand for the car, just like the Boss years ago. The Boss was announced as a 2 year run only and Ford stuck to it. The '12 and '13 Boss was true one year only production car. Only 7000 built and out of that only 1500 Laguna Secas. The Boss was not just a sticker and decal car but brought substantial chassis and engine changes above the 5.0 and had its own assembly line.

The Boss is still holding 80% to 85% of their value.

The major delta difference in performance between the GT350 and Boss are the tires. Stock 255 and 275 verses 295 and 305 for the GT350 and even larger for the R.

I ran a stock Boss 302 for two years at Watkins and NJMSP. The little Boss gave 2007 to 2010 GT3s, Audi R8's and C6 and C7 Vettes fits. Great track car.

Loved the Boss so much I bought a Boss 302 Trans Am TA3/AIX car. Sold the standard Boss and bought a very low production (#46) '12 LS in Ingot Silver with 1000 miles on clock. Only 133 Ingot Silver LS's exist. The rumble of the CPC V8 is American Muscle and the quad exhaust is terrific.

I think the LS will become a collectible and both Haggerty and a number of other respected sources agreed. The Boss was also Car of the Year.

I actually like the S197 looks better then the S550.

I like the R and will wait until the lunacy dies down to pick one up.

Now is the time to buy a nice LS.

Right now my conundrum is '14/15 GT3 or wait for the 991.2 GT3 with stick.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:03 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone is looking for some garage / man cave stuff I have a nice selection of Ford neon from smaller items to large 36' pieces in a metal can.

Bored working on XMAS listings so just stopped here to show a few pics.

Cheers.
Attached Images     
Old 12-15-2015, 12:01 PM
Para82
Race Car

I might be in touch - in the process of renovating my garage right now.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:36 PM
991 3Turbo
Racer

Good sources say only 500 R's per year and up to 5000 non R's per year. From what I have seen also is that when a dealer sells 3 non R's then they likely will get an R allocation, and other dealers not selling a lot of cars somehow get a lottery to simply have a chance at one. Most obviously will go to big dealers.
I believe initial allocations were given based on number per year of Mustang sales previously as a reward type of system. Its all very cloudy. I truly think they will keep R numbers low as with previous Cobra R's which were collectable. Even though I want a collectable I do plan to use the hell out of it.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:31 PM
Para82
Race Car

Looks like it might be closer to 550hp..
Old 12-15-2015, 11:50 PM
991 3Turbo
Racer

2016 Shelby GT350 Mustang Dyno Testing - YouTube

Looks like it might be closer to 550hp..
Nice. They left power on the table for sure, as Ford knows the new Z will be coming out. They could not only lighten it more and add ceramic options, but add direct injection and such. Seeing that in the Speciale Ferrari is making 600hp with 4.5 Liter, there is definitely some power left.

Nice car. Really cool. Is that yours?
Old 12-16-2015, 06:23 AM
Para82
Race Car

I wish - mine is at Dearborn waiting to be released.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT350