Notices

GT350

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 12:25 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Literally no dust which is a known benefit in running CCM brake.
  • No Modifications Required - Same rotor diameter and thickness as OE for direct bolt on upgrade.
  • Reduced rotating mass & unsprung weight - Total weight savings of 33lbs/axle.
  • Affordable replacement rings - Uses same CCM disc as Corvette ZR1 or Z28 so replacements are readily available and more affordable compared to other carbon rotor options.
  • After sales service available including brake pad selection and/or future disc or pad replacement.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:17 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Put a deposit down on a Lightning Blue GT350R today. Took me a while to find one without a large ADM - can't wait to get my hands on it!
Old 05-21-2017, 08:55 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Drove a session on Sebring this weekend in a 350.
It's no GT3 but it's a sweet car and a lot of fun to drive.
Seems very solid on track.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:45 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

LOTUS DING PROTECTION AT BARBER
Attached Images  

Last edited by Para82; 05-22-2017 at 01:47 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:21 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

For a track car, would you guys get a GT350 or Grand Sport? GS will hang with the GT3's and GT350 with the GT4's? GS will set a lower time, but which one would do better being hammered all day long? Prices are close, GS's are -$10k, Mustang about MSRP. I see C7's at the track, but not many stangs.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:34 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Chevy and track don't go together.
They should all get mandatory diapers for track work.
2 Camaro's blew this weekend at Sebring, cost 2 sessions.
A 2017 Z06 wanted to run around with me for fun, he said his 2015 was bought back because of problems.
We go out and he falls back, I ask and it was messages on the dash and power steering failure.

We should all get 10% discount per GM signup..

But great cars......🙄

Old 05-21-2017, 11:23 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Bah, didn't want to hear that but appreciate the first-hand-at-the-track-information.

There was a 996 GT3 at COTA today, still largely unloved and cheap...for a GT.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:11 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Chevy and track don't go together.
They should all get mandatory diapers for track work.
2 Camaro's blew this weekend at Sebring, cost 2 sessions.
A 2017 Z06 wanted to run around with me for fun, he said his 2015 was bought back because of problems.
We go out and he falls back, I ask and it was messages on the dash and power steering failure.

We should all get 10% discount per GM signup..

But great cars......🙄

Well, it's not like the GT350 is without its own troubles.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:27 AM
Wooly1
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

In addition the Grand Sports are being given away, while the GT350 and especially the R are being made in fewer members, are in higher demand, and will likely hold their value better. The engine of the Ford is also something unique and feels special IMO. The Fords interior could use an upgrade though.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:43 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Well, it's not like the GT350 is without its own troubles.
That's a GT350 "Tech Pack" - discontinued.

The bulletproof nature and extreme performance is found in the GT350 Track Pack and the GT350R both are the options for purchase if you intend to track the car.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:02 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Imo the interior of the GT350 has a classic feel to it and matches the exterior of the car nicely.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:22 PM
street
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Faster than a 996 GT3

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Drove a session on Sebring this weekend in a 350.
It's no GT3 but it's a sweet car and a lot of fun to drive.
Seems very solid on track.
A buddy and I were driving our 996 3's and got spanked by a GT 350 yesterday on a horsepower track. I'd catch him in the braking zones, and then he'd just out torque me on track out. Had comparable lateral G's. The GT didn't have carbon rims, so not the track car version and I don't know what mods were on the car.

We're no pros, but we're far from slow. But, the sound of following that flat crank 8 made us feel like we were IMSA drivers. Awesome.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:23 PM
916Bob
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
For a track car, would you guys get a GT350 or Grand Sport? GS will hang with the GT3's and GT350 with the GT4's? GS will set a lower time, but which one would do better being hammered all day long? Prices are close, GS's are -$10k, Mustang about MSRP. I see C7's at the track, but not many stangs.
I have a '17 M7 GS with Z07 package and a '17 Non-R GT350. They both spend a lot of time on the track. Here's how they compare:

Brakes - the GT350 stock brakes work well, but wear very quickly. I managed to vaporize a set of front pads in 7 sessions (not days), of hard driving. They are only about $200/set though. The GS Z07 CC brakes are phenomenal. They surpass anything I've ever experienced including from McLaren and Porsche. They last about twice as long and cost about 4 times as much as for the GT350.

Suspension - the GS has a much better ride on track and on street. The GT350 rides like a pickup... with a very bouncy back end. Both benefit from magnetic dampening but Chevy did a better job of it.

Balance - the GT350 is more comfortable at its limits in corners. The car slides very predictably and remains easy to control. The Pilot Super Sports are partly responsible as they don't grip like the Cup 2's do on the GS. The rear of the GS is much more likely to move on its own which makes it easier to throttle steer, but less stable. I drive the cars differently as a result.

Power - The GS has lots of torque down low whereas the GT350 makes power at the upper end. At their individual peaks, they're not that different from one another.

Cooling - I was shocked to see that the GS is one of the coolest running cars I've experienced on track. A lot of overheating bad press, mostly well deserved, made me hesitant to even try one. Chevy claims to have done what's necessary to the '17 GS to keep it cool and so far, I'm a believer. The GT350 regularly runs at 250 on the track but has yet to complain about it. On hot days, I even run the AC while on track. We'll see how they both do through the summer.

Steering - The GT350 is about the worst I've experienced. I almost hate driving it on the street. It takes a firm grip and an alert driver to keep it headed in the right direction. Strangely, I don't notice it so much on the track. The GS steering is... nice, with decent feedback, etc.

Lap times - The extra grip and lower weight of the GS gives it a significant edge in lap times.

Sound - The GT350 sound is worth the price of admission. After 5 minutes in the car, I've morphed into a 17 year old punk looking for an excuse to make some noise. It is a hoot! The GS sounds pretty good too, but it never has that effect on me.

Operating costs - You're gonna need a trust fund to keep shoes on the Vette if you track it much. I used to think the GT3 was hard on tires but not anymore. As I mentioned, the front brakes on the Mustang don't last long but they're cheap and very easy to change. BTW, I tried to use Pagid's but they don't fit. They are a Ferrari pad and don't fit correctly... bummer.

Need for mods - The GT350 absolutely needs camber plates for any kind of track use unless you like cords on the outside edge of an otherwise new tire. They both need an alignment and brake fluid. I wouldn't put the Vette on the track before changing the brake fluid. At least not a second time.

Other - They both have some nice stuff... stereo, wifi hub on the Vette, video recording on the Vette, temps for way too much stuff on the GT350, oil life remaining monitor, and more. Neither have a Jukebox feature like Porsche (I actually like it). Oh yeah, they both have oil dip sticks and butt cooler seats. The GS also has a removable top.

Transmission - M7 Vette vs. M6 GT350. 6th gear in the GT350 is more like 8th. There's a huge gap between 5th and 6th which is ridiculous as far as I'm concerned. I will admit it makes for a lot better mileage on the highway but I didn't buy the car for its mileage. Both transmissions appear to be capable of handling their duties well. I admit to beating on the GT350 transmission pretty hard and it's never even hinted that it cared. Both have nice, short throw shifters.

Clutch - A lot of people complain about the GT350 clutch but I don't mind it. It took a while to get used to its very light pressure but I'm fine with it now. Neither one is anything to brag about. The Vette gets a nod from me because it has rev matching. Yes, I'm lazy and I also admit to loving Porsche's PDK sport.

Fit and finish - Neither one equal that of Porsche but neither one is anywhere near as bad as some people say. I was actually pretty impressed with each of them considering their cost.

Value - I got a nice discount on the GS and paid MSRP for the GT350 and the Vette was still about $10K more. Their current resale is probably about the same so the GT350 is holding it's value better.

Fun Factor - I planned to decide which I liked better and get rid of the other. I'm still trying to decide. Each time I drive either one, I like it and figure I should keep it. The GT350 probably provides bigger highs but also has bigger lows. The Vette has maybe fewer highs, but also not as many big lows.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:40 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Originally Posted by 916Bob
I have a '17 M7 GS with Z07 package and a '17 Non-R GT350. They both spend a lot of time on the track. Here's how they compare:

Brakes - the GT350 stock brakes work well, but wear very quickly. I managed to vaporize a set of front pads in 7 sessions (not days), of hard driving. They are only about $200/set though. The GS Z07 CC brakes are phenomenal. They surpass anything I've ever experienced including from McLaren and Porsche. They last about twice as long and cost about 4 times as much as for the GT350.

Suspension - the GS has a much better ride on track and on street. The GT350 rides like a pickup... with a very bouncy back end. Both benefit from magnetic dampening but Chevy did a better job of it.

Balance - the GT350 is more comfortable at its limits in corners. The car slides very predictably and remains easy to control. The Pilot Super Sports are partly responsible as they don't grip like the Cup 2's do on the GS. The rear of the GS is much more likely to move on its own which makes it easier to throttle steer, but less stable. I drive the cars differently as a result.

Power - The GS has lots of torque down low whereas the GT350 makes power at the upper end. At their individual peaks, they're not that different from one another.

Cooling - I was shocked to see that the GS is one of the coolest running cars I've experienced on track. A lot of overheating bad press, mostly well deserved, made me hesitant to even try one. Chevy claims to have done what's necessary to the '17 GS to keep it cool and so far, I'm a believer. The GT350 regularly runs at 250 on the track but has yet to complain about it. On hot days, I even run the AC while on track. We'll see how they both do through the summer.

Steering - The GT350 is about the worst I've experienced. I almost hate driving it on the street. It takes a firm grip and an alert driver to keep it headed in the right direction. Strangely, I don't notice it so much on the track. The GS steering is... nice, with decent feedback, etc.

Lap times - The extra grip and lower weight of the GS gives it a significant edge in lap times.

Sound - The GT350 sound is worth the price of admission. After 5 minutes in the car, I've morphed into a 17 year old punk looking for an excuse to make some noise. It is a hoot! The GS sounds pretty good too, but it never has that effect on me.

Operating costs - You're gonna need a trust fund to keep shoes on the Vette if you track it much. I used to think the GT3 was hard on tires but not anymore. As I mentioned, the front brakes on the Mustang don't last long but they're cheap and very easy to change. BTW, I tried to use Pagid's but they don't fit. They are a Ferrari pad and don't fit correctly... bummer.

Need for mods - The GT350 absolutely needs camber plates for any kind of track use unless you like cords on the outside edge of an otherwise new tire. They both need an alignment and brake fluid. I wouldn't put the Vette on the track before changing the brake fluid. At least not a second time.

Other - They both have some nice stuff... stereo, wifi hub on the Vette, video recording on the Vette, temps for way too much stuff on the GT350, oil life remaining monitor, and more. Neither have a Jukebox feature like Porsche (I actually like it). Oh yeah, they both have oil dip sticks and butt cooler seats. The GS also has a removable top.

Transmission - M7 Vette vs. M6 GT350. 6th gear in the GT350 is more like 8th. There's a huge gap between 5th and 6th which is ridiculous as far as I'm concerned. I will admit it makes for a lot better mileage on the highway but I didn't buy the car for its mileage. Both transmissions appear to be capable of handling their duties well. I admit to beating on the GT350 transmission pretty hard and it's never even hinted that it cared. Both have nice, short throw shifters.

Clutch - A lot of people complain about the GT350 clutch but I don't mind it. It took a while to get used to its very light pressure but I'm fine with it now. Neither one is anything to brag about. The Vette gets a nod from me because it has rev matching. Yes, I'm lazy and I also admit to loving Porsche's PDK sport.

Fit and finish - Neither one equal that of Porsche but neither one is anywhere near as bad as some people say. I was actually pretty impressed with each of them considering their cost.

Value - I got a nice discount on the GS and paid MSRP for the GT350 and the Vette was still about $10K more. Their current resale is probably about the same so the GT350 is holding it's value better.

Fun Factor - I planned to decide which I liked better and get rid of the other. I'm still trying to decide. Each time I drive either one, I like it and figure I should keep it. The GT350 probably provides bigger highs but also has bigger lows. The Vette has maybe fewer highs, but also not as many big lows.
Nice write-up.

Just one thing I might add. From my perspective at least, I find the seating position in the GS to be near perfect whereas the GT350 reminded me of the GT-R, too upright and high.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:31 AM
911-AL
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Nice write-up.

Just one thing I might add. From my perspective at least, I find the seating position in the GS to be near perfect whereas the GT350 reminded me of the GT-R, too upright and high.
I also appreciated the thorough write-up as I'm track car shopping. Much appreciated the level of detail. For me, the model recognition of the GT350 and my affinity to mustangs even though I've owned Z06's may make me lean in the Fords direction. Decisions, Decisions!

Quick Reply: GT350