991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MISFIRE CODE GT3s

Old 12-02-2015, 03:02 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is a 2015, with 12000 kms done in almost a year. 12 track days (entirely auto-mode). No break in done. Took it to first track day after just 300 kms.

No engine issues so far. All four tires changed (after being worn out). Was advised to change front brake discs (steels) due to hairline cracks (but will wait a bit longer for that).

Interestingly porsche tech has advised that a new porsche bulletin requires spark plug change after one year (instead of two years per manual). Failure to change may impact warranty. This new requirement is engine related and only applicable to Gt3. My VIN is not part of ignition recall.

I know of at least a couple of cars in UAE with second engine change but don't have more details.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:02 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

To OP, few months ago, when a friend was having issues with his car, I looked a little into it and documented 6/7 cases reported in RL in various threads, here - https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post12443927.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:09 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
Mine is a 2015, with 12000 kms done in almost a year. 12 track days (entirely auto-mode). No break in done. Took it to first track day after just 300 kms. No engine issues so far. All four tires changed (after being worn out). Was advised to change front brake discs (steels) due to hairline cracks (but will wait a bit longer for that). Interestingly porsche tech has advised that a new porsche bulletin requires spark plug change after one year (instead of two years per manual). Failure to change may impact warranty. This new requirement is engine related and only applicable to Gt3. My VIN is not part of ignition recall. I know of at least a couple of cars in UAE with second engine change but don't have more details.
Let's not get the engine swap cars (delivered prior March 2014) confused with this issue. IRRC there were approximately 6 cars already delivered in Dubai by the time of the stop sales including Tom & Arths
Old 12-02-2015, 05:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sunnyr
To OP, few months ago, when a friend was having issues with his car, I looked a little into it and documented 6/7 cases reported in RL in various threads, here - https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post12443927.
Correct. I had 6. That was my understanding as well. Roberts and one other make 8. I'm aware of some in Europe run by RSR and two in UK. Infact earliest I know on replace the engine was UK (Nov 2014 done 12000 miles including approx 4000 summer track miles in UK & Europe).
Old 12-02-2015, 07:22 AM
Gofast47
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having owned a 997.1 GT3 for 6 years and put 26k miles on it. I noticed that my 2015 991 GT3 does
run with lower oil pressure at all revs above idle. My 991 has not been recalled, has run like a watch
for over 4k of hard road use and 1 track day. I always drive it in manual after it's warmed up. Rarely
rev it over 8,500, when i rev it to the limiter it doesn't feel as fast. The power curve confirms this, it
falls away beyond 8,500 and peak power is at 8,250. The fact the recall involves increasing oil pressure
in the mid range, does point to an oiling issue in the heads. The 991 is a big step on from the 997, and
after running the 2 for 5 months, i sold the 997 as the 991 puts a bigger grin on my face. It's a keeper,
mega machine and i hope PAG get to the bottom of the engine issues. They need to race it to find out
more on it's weaknesses if there are any. Great thread, keep it going boys.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:49 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,726 Likes on 2,165 Posts

Mine is a 2015 car, got it in January of this year. Went with white, since that's the fastest color.

About 6K track miles and 10K road miles on the car.

Have changed fluids more often than recommended by Porsche, and am using Mobil 1. Have changed plugs once, have not changed coils.

Did break-in according to Porsche recommendations, except that I gradually increased max revs after 1000 miles, but didn't track the car until about 1900 miles.

Track miles have been at instructor level. First half were mainly using PDK auto sport. Second half have mainly been using manual, and I usually short shift a bit for upshifts, but sometimes my downshifts are early, and the car will delay them until ready to accept, at which point it's probably close to 9K. So on average I may be easier on the engine for upshifts, PDK may be easier on the engine for downshifts, and I may be easier on the engine overall than PDK.

Road miles have been fairly gentle, mostly driving to/from the track.

Had a code which didn't reduce engine power which was due to an air leak. The leak was never found, and the code never came back.

Had another code due to low fuel and had reduced power. Resulted in misfires. Car ran fine after restarting the car, and has run fine since then.

Had another code due to low oil and had reduced power. Added some oil, restarted the car, and it was fine.

Have not overfilled the oil to the point of getting more than the yellow caution, and had some oil taken out when that happened (didn't track the car that way).

Have been using the Cup 2 tires the whole time.

I would like my engine replacement under warranty when the car hits 47K miles, please.

12/5/15 Update: Started the car yesterday and there was big cloud of smoke, but it ran fine. Started it today, and it was idling rougher than usual, then eventually reduced power warning came on. Restarted the car, warning was gone, and no message in the message screen. Drove the car about a mile and seemed ok, but I'm starting to worry that all may not be well with the engine ...

Last edited by Manifold; 12-05-2015 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Confirmed that coils weren't changed.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:34 AM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 40 Posts

MY2015 Nov14 delivery with ~5,100 miles

Two track days in auto

Day to day driving in manual, keeping revs low until oil is ~180 degrees.

Break in per manual

Oil changed at 1,200 and 5k miles by dealership. First oil change, got an overfill message 3 weeks later...

Just had the annual done, my VIN was not in any engine related campaign.

It has never thrown a code.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:10 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas RS
I started one some time ago, but people didn't seem to believe there was a problem. My count of first hand knowledge failures is now at 5. I have heard from one RL member that PMNA is requiring customers to sign a gag agreement when they are given a new engine - I don't know how many have signed and therefore are not willing to post.

Here are the other threads....

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...d-again-5.html - 15 engine failures reported in this thread, doesn't include any of the ones I know about first hand.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-failures.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post12391028
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...rol-fault.html
Started going through the threads to see how many reported failures...
Old 12-05-2015, 01:34 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Heads in the sand it appears. Same type of thing happened with the early E46 S54 engine. it took someone with a bug up their posterior to target BMWNA and dig in to get things fixed. It's almost every event I'm at now that a GT3 goes home sick. Cold weather maybe? Maybe it's just Texas? PCNA seems to have a pretty good muzzle on people.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:54 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Heads in the sand it appears. Same type of thing happened with the early E46 S54 engine. it took someone with a bug up their posterior to target BMWNA and dig in to get things fixed. It's almost every event I'm at now that a GT3 goes home sick. Cold weather maybe? Maybe it's just Texas? PCNA seems to have a pretty good muzzle on people.
Maybe failed thermostats as those can be cold weather dependent. Starting to see quite a few of those crop up.

We only have maybe 8-9 first hand examples of replacement engine due to cylinder misfire codes).

Perhaps you be helpful and can mention to those plentiful broken GT3 owners you keep coming across to come and post their issues here so we can build up a database.

We have a pretty good track record f standing up for ourselves :-)
Old 12-05-2015, 01:58 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Maybe failed thermostats as those can be cold weather dependent. Starting to see quite a few of those crop up.

We only have maybe 8-9 first hand examples of replacement engine due to cylinder misfire codes).

Perhaps you be helpful and can mention to those plentiful broken GT3 owners you keep coming across to come and post their issues here so we can build up a database.

We have a pretty good track record f standing up for ourselves :-)
I'm not sure how I can. It's not my business. All I can say is that I'd like to see folks figure it out with PCNA. An alarming percentage of Mezgers grenaded, and I admit, it was nice to know Porche would just swoop in and replace them. Made CPO valuable.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:04 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
no it's not, I've seen it here too. Error messages, heat issues, random warnings....
I've used my code reader to pull error codes more than a few times on 991gt cars at the track. And of a few different cars.

i'm aware of 1 car that is now on it's 3rd engine. the latter issue was misfires that turned out to be scored cam lobes (I think).

Last edited by Spyerx; 12-05-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:59 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,726 Likes on 2,165 Posts

Updated my history today to add a reduced power warning: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post12806616
Old 12-05-2015, 05:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
Updated my history today to add a reduced power warning: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post12806616
Mmmmm. Yourself and Joe were the placebo cases! Could it be the thermostat? Mine idled rough when the thermostat was on the way out (8000 miles). Restarting it cleared the code.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:59 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

I had rough idle with an 'OK to drive' warning which would not clear. The coolant temp stayed low. Replaced the thermostat and no issues since. Currently at 9000 miles with the 12 month service done yesterday. Delivered 12/5/14.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MISFIRE CODE GT3s