Sponsored by:

Limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 01:34 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Limp mode

I'm at Road Atlanta this weekend and got my first limp mode warning about 20 minutes into the first afternoon session - "Reduced power. Driving permitted. Consult a Workshop." Ambient temp around 70, two green bars of oil and all temps within normal range, although oil pressure was a bit on the high side. Car was running fine prior to the message. I got it right after the back straight. I puttered into the hot pit, restarted the car, and the message went away. I then did a cool down lap and came in. Anybody that tracks their car seen this? I've pushed the car a lot harder in much higher temps and never had an issue. Just crossed the 10k mileage mark, with about 4k of those being track miles.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:21 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,791 Likes on 2,193 Posts

I've seen that message when oil level was too low and fuel level too low. Personally, if the message goes away after restarting the car and the car seems to be running fine, I would keep driving. You could also find somebody with a scan tool at the track to plug in and see what generated the code and get more info.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:27 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mmmm. Keep us informed. The alternative I could offer depends on what fault code s thrown...if its a cylinder misfire it almost could certainly point towards scored cams. The factory would give you a new engine...there is anther thread on this board fr these issues s would be good if you could keep us informed mate.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:45 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Went out for another session and made it one lap before the error came back. Came in and connected my OBD reader to look at the detail behind the error. Cylinder 1 and cylinder 4 misfire. Am going to have it flatbedded to dealer. If I need a new engine at least I'm headed into the off season. Would be happy to accept the RS that Perimeter Porsche has on the floor while I wait...
Old 11-29-2015, 02:51 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,791 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Originally Posted by rm21
Went out for another session and made it one lap before the error came back. Came in and connected my OBD reader to look at the detail behind the error. Cylinder 1 and cylinder 4 misfire. Am going to have it flatbedded to dealer. If I need a new engine at least I'm headed into the off season. Would be happy to accept the RS that Perimeter Porsche has on the floor while I wait...
Could be as simple as an issue with sparks plugs or coil packs. When my fuel was too low, I got the cylinder misfire code also. I could be wrong, but I anticipate that it won't be anything which requires engine replacement.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:00 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Just talked to another Gt3 at the track. He had the same error. Porsche replaced the engine. There may be a fix now but I don't think it will be simple.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:23 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Sorry to hear! What reader did you use that was able to read the codes no problem?
Old 11-29-2015, 03:35 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not good RM21. Like Macca said, many of these misfires end up being scored cams and hence engine replacement. What year is your car? When was it delivered? Did it ever have the spark plug and coil recall? There is definitely something going on that Porsche hasn't been too upfront about. When the 2014 engine debacle occurred, it was all over the press, and Porsche took proper action and care of it's customers. These latest engine issues are basically done without public knowledge. Only those reported here on RL would even know about it. Also, when the 2014's got their new engine, the owner got a certificate and a 5 yr warranty on that engine, along with some compensation for their downtime. I haven't heard of this being offered for the more recent engine issues. Please keep us all posted.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:58 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
Sorry to hear! What reader did you use that was able to read the codes no problem?
I use a GoPoint Bluetooth OBD dongle with an iOS app called DashCommand. Works really well. Can read and clear codes.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:01 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

I use a GoPoint Bluetooth OBD dongle with an iOS app called DashCommand. Works really well. Can read and clear codes.
Cool! I figured Porsche used some wacky proprietary code numbers that the generic readers wouldn't be super helpful to identify. Sounds like that's not the case and I should check that one out.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:01 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Not good RM21. Like Macca said, many of these misfires end up being scored cams and hence engine replacement. What year is your car? When was it delivered? Did it ever have the spark plug and coil recall? There is definitely something going on that Porsche hasn't been too upfront about. When the 2014 engine debacle occurred, it was all over the press, and Porsche took proper action and care of it's customers. These latest engine issues are basically done without public knowledge. Only those reported here on RL would even know about it. Also, when the 2014's got their new engine, the owner got a certificate and a 5 yr warranty on that engine, along with some compensation for their downtime. I haven't heard of this being offered for the more recent engine issues. Please keep us all posted.
Agree this isn't good for me or the GT3 community. My car is a MY2015, delivered around Dec 26 last year. I haven't gotten a notice for any recalls on my car and I've had it to the dealer twice in the last few weeks for track inspections, so hoping they would have flagged it then. Never fun to waste a track day, but I realize there are certainly worse things that can happen.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:13 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

rm21
sorry to hear this, FWIW I got similar code last winter at Sebring with fuel under 1/4 tank maybe less
car was at Champion for new cups last week and no TSB on it for plugs/coil just crossed the 10k threshold as well , w/ est. 2k track miles .
Please share what is determined .
car delivered one year ago yesterday, did the 2k break in ,in first two weeks before 12/13/14 driving a 15 @Sebring
Old 11-29-2015, 08:58 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

FYI. The "tell tale" is when the fault reads again as soon as you exceed 7000 rpm. Ive been keeping an informal eye on the issue. A number of GT3 owners around the world have PM'd me their situation and the outcome from Porsche. I believe it has also happened to a 991 GT3RS so possibly that car is not immune. We are likely dealing with an oiling issues at high lateral (g) loads. Hence why the oiling pressure patch mentioned on the latest "plug/coil" TSB is of interest....
Old 11-29-2015, 09:08 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

I sure hope not, or I am expecting Porsche to follow through the same manner as they did before. With there other debacle going on with VW, they may not open up there wallets as much.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:55 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,388 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheflat6
I sure hope not, or I am expecting Porsche to follow through the same manner as they did before. With there other debacle going on with VW, they may not open up there wallets as much.
I believe Porsche will do the right thing.

Quick Reply: Limp mode