Sponsored by:

Limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 10:01 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I believe Porsche will do the right thing.
Let's hope, but times have changed a bit due to dieselgate.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:53 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Let's hope, but times have changed a bit due to dieselgate.
I'd imagine with diesel-gate Porsche would be more hypersensitive to do the right thing.

The last thing VAG needs now is to be accused of cheating on emissions and being derelict with their engineering quality controls.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:27 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't hold your breath!!!! Just heard of another "misfire car" that had it's engine replaced. To me, it seems Porsche knows there is an oiling issue with the engine. Perhaps it takes a lot of track time at/near 9,000 rpm for it to show up. I don't believe it is just a supplier/bad part problem. Porsche should be thoroughly checking everyone's engine, especially knowing the history of the engine debacle. Anyone want to guess this may be occurring between 8600-9000?
Old 12-01-2015, 04:36 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Don't hold your breath!!!! Just heard of another "misfire car" that had it's engine replaced. To me, it seems Porsche knows there is an oiling issue with the engine. Perhaps it takes a lot of track time at/near 9,000 rpm for it to show up. I don't believe it is just a supplier/bad part problem. Porsche should be thoroughly checking everyone's engine, especially knowing the history of the engine debacle. Anyone want to guess this may be occurring between 8600-9000?
My car is at more than 5K track miles. Seems to be running fine. I haven't been babying it by any stretch, but having been using manual mode for about half those miles, and on average I probably short shift a bit compared to what the PDK auto would do.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:48 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got my first status report today. Dealer confirmed the cylinder misfire error codes. There are also some error codes about injector failures in those two cylinders. I'll post more when they give me the action plan. I'll be arguing for a new engine.

To Manifold's point, I mostly use auto mode on the track, so I am hitting 9k on a very regular basis.

One question that I'm surprised no one asked about was whether I followed the recommended break in procedure. I'm happy to say I did, to a fault. I could imagine that in situations like these Porsche would be looking for an excuse to avoid payment of a major repair. I'm not looking forward to breaking in a new engine the second time around but if it goes that route I will do another 2k break in just to be on the safe side.

The whole reason I paid the premium for this car was to have something that was bullet proof. If others that track their cars heavily continue to report incidents like this, I see it as a major threat to the brand integrity of the GT models and a good reason to look elsewhere. There are too many good track car options appearing these days for Porsche to be the least bit complacent with this issue.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:46 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like they may try and change the plugs/leads/coil packs and injectors first. I think I have the bulletin for this somewhere and its the usual first curse of action.

Failing this and with a new engine I personally wouldn't loose more time in your life worrying abut the break in. Apart from the fact in 2013 on ED the factory told me to "vary rev's and keep below 7000 for first tank of gas, dont rev over 5000 till warm etc etc - second tank start to stretch slowly to redline, always engine warm and vary revs a bit still - thrid tank drive it luike you intend it to be driven". The first engine was a peach and ran 3500km across Europe perfectly. The replacement engine I was given instruction by NZ Porsche mechanics to "take it easy for first tank or s then just drive it". Myself and the other guy who were first in NZ to get our engines replaced put around 800km on the engine then took it to the track. 11000km (7000 miles) later (1.5K miles track work sport Auto going to 9000 frequently) all seems fine though it uses the usual 350cc or more of il each track day and has had the thermostat replaced recently. Otherwise runs like a charm.

There is no correlation to this issue and run in procedure. This is a 7000-9000 rpm issue and will likely manifest itself mostly t those with high track km although I know of an example where it has happened t a road only driven car.

I have another 1.5-2K track miles booked for 2016 and if I need a new engine it will be broken in same way as the other two neither of which were problematic engines (yet).

Dont think this is unique to GT3. I believe the issue has been fund on the 4.0L to and if you did deep enough it may even be the reason the A1 engine has been a little delayed in Motorsport development.

Whatever the reason Im sure they will have it all sorted by engine 4 :-).t
Old 12-01-2015, 08:47 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

....now there are three threads on this same topic. Can someone consolidate the threads?

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-failures.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...code-gt3s.html
Old 12-01-2015, 09:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I counted 6 LOL!

This one is excellent back ground reading. We started it in July and its now 18 pages...

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ced-again.html
Old 12-01-2015, 09:55 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

that sucks. i was there on Sunday only, sorry we did not get to meet. And an AMP member too. i know i would be bummed. but the damn car is such a pleasure to drive i would just want it fixed. Keep us informed. I am sure P will do the right thing.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:23 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
To me, it seems Porsche knows there is an oiling issue with the engine.
This possibility may be a further reason to not chance putting stickier tires on the car and risk denial of warranty coverage for the engine. Speculating, the G-meter may be keeping a sufficient permanent record of peak G levels to discern whether stickier tires were used.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:38 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

^^
Good point stayed with cups and keep a set of oem pads handy
Old 12-01-2015, 10:50 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

Well- they better figure this crap out because there are a few thousand cars out there and if there is an inherent issue with this engine they can have my car at replacement cost.

Now- I do not want to jump to conclusions here but would like an answer
Old 12-02-2015, 08:11 AM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manifold
This possibility may be a further reason to not chance putting stickier tires on the car and risk denial of warranty coverage for the engine. Speculating, the G-meter may be keeping a sufficient permanent record of peak G levels to discern whether stickier tires were used.
Agree that using slicks might be an issue with Porsche if they could confirm that, but the g-meter can get quite confused by hitting the gators at speed. I've registered over 1.7Gs on the Cup2s and the Trofeos but have always thrown those readings out as outliers since there is no way the car is pulling that many g's.

Here is a video of the lap when I got the limp mode warning, following by a restart, which cleared the error. It also shows the cool down lap, which I wanted to do since I came in so hot. I clearly didn't push it in that lap, and didn't get an error. I thought it was going to be just like my PDK error that never came back. But I only made it one lap in the next session. After that, restarting the car would not clear the error.

The car had been running great prior to the error. Lots of times in the low 1:34s in prior sessions.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:54 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Simple...DO NOT bring your car into Porsche with slicks on if you want warranty coverage on engine or other suspension bits. Guy in AZ was already given a hard NO on a rear steering issue after car was brought in on 19" rims with slicks on. They also told him they it was noted to PCNA in tech file on issue so it would be difficult if he has future issue with engine they would most likely reference history. If you happen to run slicks, for the love of everything holy pull them before your car goes in and you might have a good chance of getting coverage.

With regard to g-meter, they can pull info but they will be looking for sustained readings not max spikes like we all get in the 1.7+ with oem tires or tro Rs. It's another situation where they CAN pull data but it's unlikely they WILL pull data unless you give them a reason to sniff further.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:31 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any Update RM21?

Quick Reply: Limp mode