Sponsored by:

Changes in the Wind for Porsche GT Race Program

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 12:12 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts
Default Changes in the Wind for Porsche GT Race Program

When and how much they influence the road-going GT cars remains to be seen....

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/p...-car-for-2017/

Porsche Confirms New 911 RSR GTE Car for 2017

"While Porsche’s factory GTE-Pro effort in the FIA World Endurance Championship looks set to not continue in its current form next year, the German manufacturer is already hard at work on a new-generation GTE car that will debut in 2017.

Head of Porsche Motorsport Dr. Frank-Steffen Walliser has confirmed to Sportscar365 that an all-new Porsche 911 RSR is in the works, which is understood to feature some radical changes under the bodywork.

Walliser said development on the new car has been ongoing for the past six months, with plans to begin on-track testing by the middle of next year.

“It must be ready for ’17 so we must work like hell,” he told Sportscar365.

He would not comment on speculation that the engine, believed to be a turbocharged variant based off the Carrera model, will be moved forward in the car to provide a better weight balance.

It’s understood Porsche has proposed the mid-rear engine concept to the FIA, which would require technical waivers as the layout would differ from that of the road car.

“You always have to discuss your concept with the FIA and get the feedback from them to see if it fits,” Walliser said. “New ideas and innovative ideas and get feedback if it can be homologated or not. This is the process.”

Walliser did confirm that a bespoke mid-engine Porsche GTE car was in the pipeline, initially for 2016, but the decision was made to instead remain with a 911-based model instead.

“When I took over, we justified the technical concepts again,” he said. “I made some decisions but that delayed the program by approximately half a year.

“As you cannot do a mid-season entry, [the new car] will be for 2017… We have a high commitment to the 911. It’s our [key] sports car and it stands for Porsche.”

While 2017 race programs have yet to be confirmed, the new 911 RSR would presumably race in both the WEC and IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship.

Walliser, meanwhile, would not confirm reports of the factory Manthey WEC program taking a sabbatical but admitted they are working on different options for 2016.

One of them is understood to be a possible GTE-Pro entry entered by Proton Competition with factory support and drivers.

“Obviously WEC is a perfect platform,” Walliser said. “It’s a high profile racing series and we understand also that we belong to the series.

“We have to consider our overall situation. And when I say overall situation, it’s not related to the Volkswagen Group, it’s our overall situation in motorsports, including development of our new RSR in 2017, the new GT4 Clubsport, the new GT3 R and are heavily working on our street car development.

“All this we have to find the right priorities.”

Walliser said they have not yet decided whether they will field a factory GTE-Pro effort at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, potentially by CORE autosport, should the Manthey WEC program not continue.

Porsche’s 2016 program will be announced at its end-of-year dinner celebration event on Dec. 12."
Old 11-24-2015, 12:37 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

Interesting
Old 11-24-2015, 01:02 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

So he's basically saying that we should all forget about seeing the 9A1 variation being raced. Instead they'll jump straight to a 9A2,possibly sporting a turbo.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:09 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

The 991 GT3 R was supposed to be fitted with a 4.0 9A1 similar to the RS, but they've been running it with a Mezger. It's for privateers and imo is very different to a factory racing program.

I just wish they would call the 2017 car a new model rather than a mid-rear engined 911.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:31 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

So he's basically saying that we should all forget about seeing the 9A1 variation being raced.
Beginning to look that way. The 991.1 GT3 may be the only GT3 to not have an engine derivative raced by Porsche in a pro series.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:36 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Looks like they'll be moving the engine 4" or so forward, in the space originally reserved for hybrid provisions. Looking forward to it.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:11 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

There go the " GT " premiums down the drain. LMAO!

I really don't care,I love my parts bin special " GT4 " ! Hey,if you think about it,the GT4 might end up being the only current " GT " model having the exact engine from a race car-the GT4 Clubsport! Oh the irony! Well done Porsche!
Old 11-24-2015, 02:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

IMHO the really good news, if all of this plays out as described in the article, is that "Dieselgate" may not hamstring Porsches race and road car development as has been feared.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:19 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

Sounds like the first move to a turbo RS and GT3. Seems the Ford GT has brought a whole new playing field and the need for more engine (turbo) and mid engined layout is necessary. I always thought this would be the 960 but instead it looks to be a modern GT1. Sounds like marketing preferred the racing link to the 911.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:51 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Going to forced induction of the current 991.2 production street car will most likely force homologation on that 991.2 model engine architecture to qualify for appropriate race groups . Sounds like next gen GT3 (991.2) due in a couple of years will also need to be turbo...

Last edited by GregJGT3; 11-24-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:33 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by GregJGT3
Sounds like next gen GT3 (991.2) due in a couple of years will also need to be turbo...
Unless they use GT2/RS for homologation purposes.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:23 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Unless they use GT2/RS for homologation purposes.
If history is repeated in GT2 form the engine will be turbo charged. The GT2 has not been NA in the past.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:44 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Quite strange that Porsche is abandoning one of its most visible advertising programs I.e., its GTE PRO racing program. They could just run with what they have. Not withstanding
Wat Dr. Wallliser says this smells like a cost cutting casualty. I hope they remain in the IMSA series. I would be a sad day not to see an RSR in the GTLM catergory at Daytona and Sebring.e
Old 11-24-2015, 11:55 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
There go the " GT " premiums down the drain. LMAO! I really don't care,I love my parts bin special " GT4 " ! Hey,if you think about it,the GT4 might end up being the only current " GT " model having the exact engine from a race car-the GT4 Clubsport! Oh the irony! Well done Porsche!
The exact engine without a true dry sump. Funny indeed.

Before you party too much on your doomsday prediction for our GT3's, let's see if the next version is indeed N/A. So far, prices clearly aren't tanking....LOL!
Old 11-25-2015, 12:08 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by doubleurx
The exact engine without a true dry sump. Funny indeed. Before you party too much on your doomsday prediction for our GT3's, let's see if the next version is indeed N/A. So far, prices clearly aren't tanking....LOL!
Nick,it seems you haven't been reading much about the GT4 Clubsport. Our respectable Rennlist colleague and Panorama chief editor Pete Stout has clarified that the engine in the Clubsport is identical and I accentuate IDENTICAL to the one found in the GT4! The only difference is that the Clubsport comes with a different DME calibration software that allows it to run an extra quart of oil without tripping the overfill warning. By running the extra quart of oil it gets to be able to run slicks without having oiling issues.
So yeah...the only true engine found in a race car goes to the...you've guessed it! The GT4!

Nick.

Quick Reply: Changes in the Wind for Porsche GT Race Program