Sponsored by:

Front of GT3 Destroyed by Deer Impact

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 09:34 AM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
I couldn't disagree more....doing nothing because it's impossible to eliminate the chance completely of wildlife coming out on track is just chosen ignorance? A lot of things can be done to substantially reduce the risk. Many roadways in euro have fences that substantially reduce the events of wildlife coming out of no where, does it eliminate it all together no but I'll take a substantial reduction any day over nothing.
i am not necessarily disagreeing with you, but...

i (we) don't know what culling/risk reduction Summit has undertaken to address the deer issue.

although, i surmise whatever it is, it is still insufficient as, they always stress that caution at driver's meeting.

i think municipalities, in general, need to be receptive and encourage hunting/culling of overpopulated deer.

so...is that GT3 totaled?
Old 11-17-2015, 09:58 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Here's what I said (bold added), are we not in agreement?
Looking at data from deer hits on the road, seems that there are roughly 150 human fatalities per 1.5 million deer hits, so a 1/10,000 chance of fatality per hit - which is pretty low - but of course the chance of injury would be much higher. BUT, the average speed of deer hits on the road is say 50 mph, whereas the speed of a deer hit on track could easily be double that or more, and the energy of the impact is proportional to the speed squared, so the average energy of a deer hit on track might be around 3 to 9 times higher than on the road - which is a massive difference! So the chance of injury or fatality when hitting a deer on track would also be much higher, but I can't currently estimate how much higher.
Also, I haven't heard of or seen any cases where deer just stroll across the track. In every case, they've darted across the track. Plus, experienced drivers should know not to swerve at high speed, and we teach the same to students, especially at SP because of the animals.

I did the risk calculation without knowing how it would come out, not to justify a decision I had made in advance. My resulting decision is that I'm scaling back the amount of time I'm going to spend at SP until the deer issue is addressed, but not to the point of not going at all. I still consider fluids dumped by other cars to be a bigger risk, and that's a situation I encountered numerous times this season. Of course, we each have to make our own decisions based on our assessment of the risk (which varies with the driver, car, safety equipment, organization, run group, etc., not just the track) and our risk tolerance.
My point was no sense on even trying to use roadway info at all while trying to add the variances with track conditions.

Yes I should have been more clear Deer don't "stroll" onto track, that was my way of saying "sprinting" onto track
Old 11-17-2015, 10:12 AM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Summit Point in the Fall is scary place. 2 years ago several cars hit deer driving to and from hotel to track in the early am. Saw several Corvettes and 1 new Cayman have huge deer impacts on track.
Also, large groundhogs run across track frequently.
Great tracks and facilities, and spectator viewing areas, but need appropriate fencing, etc. to protect the racers.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:18 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

My point was no sense on even trying to use roadway info at all while trying to add the variances with track conditions.

Yes I should have been more clear Deer don't "stroll" onto track, that was my way of saying "sprinting" onto track
It is 100% a random event, to me it is the definition of a random wallk.

My local track is in the middle of the Catskill mountains so has a perimeter fence and debris fence on the track itself. I've hit a bird and a small turtle, almost a ground hog. But nothing big makes it in - bear and deer are there in high numbers.

The Marshalls do a great job showing debris flags when there is road kill on the track, or a small piece of someone's car.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:27 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,744 Likes on 2,172 Posts

IMO, that's going too far. While we don't know how the injury and fatality rate per hit will change for road vs track speeds, I think the roadway data still has some relevance, because in both cases we're talking about cars hitting deer, and there's reason to believe that the ratio of injuries to fatalities would also be similar on road vs track (about 70:1).

So, for example, assume that the roadway fatality rate is about 1/10,000 per hit. It's likely also conservative to assume that the fatality rate is 1000x higher on track because of the higher average speed, so say the track fatality rate is 1/10 per hit. Given that there were no significant injuries in about 6 hits I know of on track, that suggests an injury rate below 1/6, and a fatality rate below 1/420, so that confirms that the 1/10 fatality rate is likely conservatively very high, but let's go with it. If the chance of hitting a deer is about 7% in 100 days at SP, the chance of fatality in that many days would be below 0.7%, probably far below that (the 1/420 rate would give 0.02%, or 1/5000). But, again, the chance of injury is much higher in a hit, and the chance of substantial damage to the car is closer to 100%.

There's a lot of estimating here, but it gives us an idea, and IMO these estimates are a better guide for making decisions than gut feelings shaped by anecdotes and emotions.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:33 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tgil
Summit Point in the Fall is scary place. 2 years ago several cars hit deer driving to and from hotel to track in the early am. Saw several Corvettes and 1 new Cayman have huge deer impacts on track.
Also, large groundhogs run across track frequently.
Great tracks and facilities, and spectator viewing areas, but need appropriate fencing, etc. to protect the racers.
You make a good point about the seasonality, and the risk therefore not being the same throughout the year.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:40 AM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

i am obviously biased, since SPR is my "home" track, where i first go into this HPDE addiction.

short of calling it unsafe, when you look at VIR, the run off is clearly far less at SPR.

any venturing off track = wall contact at SPR.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:46 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
IMO, that's going too far. While we don't know how the injury and fatality rate per hit will change for road vs track speeds, I think the roadway data still has some relevance, because in both cases we're talking about cars hitting deer, and there's reason to believe that the ratio of injuries to fatalities would also be similar on road vs track. So, for example, assume that the roadway fatality rate is about 1/10,000 per hit. It's likely also conservative to assume that the fatality rate is 1000x higher on track because of the higher average speed, so say the track fatality rate is 1/10 per hit. Given that there were no significant injuries in about 6 hits on track, that suggests an injury rate below 1/6, and a fatality rate below 1/420, so that confirms that the 1/10 is likely conservatively very high, but let's go with it. If the chance of hitting a deer is about 7% in 100 days at SP, the chance of fatality in that many days would be below 0.7%, probably far below that (the 1/420 rate would give 0.02%, or 1/5000). But, again, the chance of injury is much higher in a hit, and the chance of substantial damage to the car is closer to 100%. There's a lot of estimating here, but it gives us an idea, and IMO these estimates are a better guide for making decisions than gut feelings shaped by anecdotes and emotions.
Very hard to compare street with track! In Northern Europe people get hurt after hitting tall legged heavy animals like mouse from impact. Chopping legs off and body folds into the car.
Very little risk of getting hurt if you "just run over" deer or 400 pound wild boar. Yes. They are that big. Car taking the hit just like in the video. Airbag is a big risk in collisions that doesn't slow down your vehicle.
Have a lot of experience of tracking wounded animals after impacts with vehicles. That job falls on the landowner in Sweden. And I must say even if it involves a lot of night work it's very rewarding to find and make sure animals don't suffer.
Seen many drivers suffer avoidable injuries if they would have gotten more high speed training and how to react in these situations.

If I would be a regular at Summit I would definitely ask for fence at those fast sections. You can actually "teach" the deer to use different trails.

And secondly I wouldn't want an airbag go off in my car at full speed without slowing the car down.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:48 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
i am obviously biased, since SPR is my "home" track, where i first go into this HPDE addiction.

short of calling it unsafe, when you look at VIR, the run off is clearly far less at SPR.

any venturing off track = wall contact at SPR.
When I was safety chair for large PCA region which has SPR as the home track, the incident rate was generally not higher at SPR vs other tracks. That's likely in part due to the region knowing the track well, but it certainly happens that people go off at SPR without hitting anything, and when comparing with VIR, there are actually plenty of walls at VIR which aren't in the normal line of sight, so people don't see them until they're heading for them (eg, left of south bend). It's the same situation at many other tracks, such as Thunderbolt and Lightning, which look nice and open, but I've seen some hard hits against the walls there. To better get to know the runoff areas at tracks, I suggest studying Google satellite imagery (assuming it's up to date).
Old 11-17-2015, 10:58 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by tgil
and spectator viewing areas
Speaking of which, does anyone know how to get to the bleachers near turn 5? I walked back on the path that starts just beyond the gate toward turn 3, but it went way back into the woods and never seemed to have a cut that leads to the those bleachers. I wanted to sit there and watch some of the action in the back part of the track

Jeff
Old 11-17-2015, 10:59 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Very hard to compare street with track!
I agree with the general point, which is why I was trying to be clear about similarities and differences when comparing road vs track. As I said at the outset, on average, the impact energy will be massively higher on track vs road. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the absolute risk of injury or fatality on track is 'very' high, and I think both the experiences from the track and calcs support that conclusion. I know of numerous cases of people hitting deer at SP, but I haven't heard of any significant injuries in those cases. But again, I consider the deer risk at SP to be unacceptable, and I believe the risk needs to be reduced.

Also agree that the size/type of animal makes a difference. At SP, the main concern is deer (though groundhogs can also do damage), so the comparison with the road also needs to be looking at deer.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:31 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

And secondly I wouldn't want an airbag go off in my car at full speed without slowing the car down.
This to me is the scariest part, going 110+ mph with no vision or hands on the wheel. Especially if being able to see and control the car is the difference between hitting a tire wall, concrete wall or taking advantage of more run off.

And some data on Jefferson County where SP is - about 3 deer hits per 100 registered vehicles per year.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:43 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NateOZ
This to me is the scariest part, going 110+ mph with no vision or hands on the wheel. Especially if being able to see and control the car is the difference between hitting a tire wall, concrete wall or taking advantage of more run off.

And some data on Jefferson County where SP is - about 3 deer hits per 100 registered vehicles per year.
Good point regarding no vision. In this incident, there was zero visibility through the windshield while he was going 140 mph. Scary for sure.

Thanks for that data. As I mentioned, I actually hit a deer on track at SP last year, but it's also the case that I've had more close encounters with deer going to/from the track than on track. Though I'd still rather hit a deer at 50 mph than 100+ mph, so I consider the track situation to be higher risk overall.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:35 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 561 Posts

Seen many drivers suffer avoidable injuries if they would have gotten more high speed training and how to react in these situations.
Many excellent points in this thread.

Comment & question:

- Regarding avoidable injuries and high speed training:

I've taught hundreds of hours in car control training to corporate, teen and DE drivers. Even after an 8 hour class on track, where students receive several repeated practice drills to learn a skill - at the conclusion of the day we remind/warn them that while they've learned skills and likely stretched their abilities as a result of the class - unless they have a chance to practice and master the skills they will not develop muscle memory.

In a high stress moment (like a deer darting in front of you at 140 mph on track - or driving down an interstate at "speed") you are likely to revert to a "default" behavior which is the thing that you're likely to do when fear takes over. Many people - despite car control training - will panic / swerve or do any number of things that training taught them not to do. Unless one gets to practice embedding a new skill it's not likely to make a difference. There is a chance you'll do better than with zero training, but as they say: Practice Makes Perfect.

We have corporate clients who require their folks to repeat the training annually or every two years. Even that type of repetition is not enough to develop reliable muscle memory in an emergency.

I also have many hundreds of hours teaching teens to drive. I tell them they are better to hit the deer rather than swerve and hit another car or object like tree/pole.

I can say the words but until they experience it - my words have little impact (other than planting the seed). It's difficult to practice any car control training other than on a closed circuit.

I also spent 7 years in corporate training/development and people can sit through lots of training but until they are required or motivated to do something new on a frequent (at least weekly) basis - the old habits are difficult to break.

Question:
Would choosing an early spring or mid-summer event at SP reduce chances of encountering deer on the track? I was there mid-Oct and didn't see any but was well aware of the risk.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:55 PM
devenh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a lawyer, so this is just speculation, but I would think that track operators would have to make reasonable efforts to make the track safe. Given the likelihood of a serious deer related injury and the relatively low cost of a fence, perhaps a compelling case could be made to a jury that failing to erect a fence (or to take other effective measures) would be negligent. And once deemed negligent, doesn't that invalidate the waiver?

Quick Reply: Front of GT3 Destroyed by Deer Impact