Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is nuts.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:03 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Glad driver is okay. Deer are a plague in Mid-Atlantic states.
True. I've noticed that living in Pennsylvania for several years.

I grew up in the Rocky mountains, and deer are much less of a problem because hunting is much more common and keeps the deer population under control.

Note that hunting is very regulated to ensure the population isn't reduced too much, but enough that deer aren't everywhere all the time including roads and highways like they are in the mid-Atlantic states.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:20 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I've always practiced 'defensive driving' on track, and advised students to do the same, especially when in proximity of drivers I don't know and trust. I think that has helped me avoid several fender benders, and there are often warning signs that a driver is going to do something which could put you (and him) at risk, so I consider being sensitive to those warning signs to be part of situational awareness. I find that this kind of SA is often a key part of what separates intermediate from advanced drivers.
This is good advice for driving on the street as well. I get nervous driving with people who only have their eyes dead ahead and never bother paying attention to their mirrors or what's happening in the lanes next to them. Even on the road, there are things drivers telegraph before making a potentially dangerous move.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:30 PM
CanadaRS
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default similar earlier post

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=57f_1406269959
Old 11-15-2015, 11:14 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Oh darn - manifold I didn't realize that additional white GT3 was you yesterday or I would have come over and introduced myself. I was driving a gray spec boxster number 988 and was parked over by Bill Rudtners big white semi. Next time.

I have 7 pics of the incident and will post them if Pat gives permission in this thread.

Jeff
Old 11-15-2015, 11:25 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,803 Likes on 2,200 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Oh darn - manifold I didn't realize that additional white GT3 was you yesterday or I would have come over and introduced myself. I was driving a gray spec boxster number 988 and was parked over by Bill Rudtners big white semi. Next time.

I have 7 pics of the incident and will post them if Pat gives permission in this thread.

Jeff
No worries, I meant to look for you also, but was only there Saturday and it turned out to be a rather busy day. We'll find each other next time.

How did you like the track?
Old 11-16-2015, 12:15 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

No worries, I meant to look for you also, but was only there Saturday and it turned out to be a rather busy day. We'll find each other next time.

How did you like the track?
Impressions:

1) Overall it reminds me of both Lightning and Thunderbolt at NJMP in terms of layout
2) The facilities are fine, paddock is ample and the location isn't that far off the beaten track...
3) It's got some elevation but not a huge amount
4) The front straight is long but in a spec boxster not something that really is apparent, since once the car reaches about 110 it creeps up really slowly. I imagine int the GT3 it would have been much more astounding (I think I heard it was 3300 feet)
5) I practiced my deep braking on turn 1, starting at 5 and eventually getting down to 3 although I chirped the tires a few times doing 3.

Turn impressions:

Turn 1 is nice and tight, but not too hard to master. Decreasing radius which was fun

Turn 2 not much of a turn more like a bend.

Turn 3 (high speed left hander) was tough to master, in terms of when to brake for it and how much. Had to work on that both days.

Turn 4 I enjoyed a lot. It gave a really good chance to practice big vision since when I would look way downfield to turn 5 it would smooth right out.

Turn 5 (really tight left hander) I was told by my instructor to head straight for the apex. Only other hard braking section on the track beside turn 1, which gave me a lot of practice on judging when to apply brakes and trail braking. I liked that turn.

Turn 6 (entry to carousel) I was told was a throw away, key was the exit.

Turns 7 and 8 were a lot of fun for me, sort of like a mini "esses" at The Glen.

Turn 9 was not as dangerous as I was told it would be probably due to a number of factors. I stayed away from a tight apex due to smoothness of the pavement. I also always tried to hit 7 and 8 as accurately as possible in order to make 9 go better. I practiced applying the throttle earlier and earlier over the 2 days on that turn.

The short straight after 9 was interesting, under the bridge etc. I tried a number of different techniques to set up for 10 on that straight, finally deciding on just left of center under the bridge. But then I had to setup for 10.

Turn 10 for me was the toughest turn on the track. I had a lot of early apex problems with that turn. I had to work a lot at it and I actually got some oversteer a few times during my learning. At dinner last night one of the instructors said he gets all the way left a lot earlier than recommended to setup for that, but I didn't have any more track time to practice.

I took a walk into the woods via this path I found, but I was unable to figure out how to get to the back grandstands which I saw from the track. Should have asked someone about that

All in all I was happy I went, a little nervous after the deer strike (2 more sessions after) on the front straight, but I made it out unscathed and ready to come back next year.

Jeff
Old 11-16-2015, 01:30 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I Hit a deer with a beck 550 Spyder back in Georgia 5-6 years ago.. Was on the highway and it leapt out of nowhere. That car is like an open tin can.. You're fully exposed in it, worse then when I'm riding a bike, at least I have helmet and leathers with that.

Somehow at last second it leapt fully OVER me and only destroyed front headlight with a rear hoof... It was so close that I was able to do a full visual inspection and ascertain that it was a boy as he leapt over me.

In high school I had a 1964 356c (well, More accurately I often stole it from my dad).. Was heading to my girlfriends house and came within inches of collision with a deer on a back country road... Saw him from 100's of feet away in the middle of the road, honked, brakes as hard as I could, screeching tires... He just stood there transfixed and just refused to budge.. Brakes were fully locked coming to a stop, had zero control.. Amazing luck as car just bumped his leg with front bumper and he just walked away... I basically had pissed myself.

Something about deer and old Porsches for me.. I've had enough encounters to keep my probabilities of future encounters low for the foreseeable future... I hope.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:20 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OH man.. Glad to hear that everyone is ok. Could you please put up the pictures. Very curious to see the strength of our GT3s.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:44 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

At same time, in the cases I know of where cars crashed on track with two people in the car, if there was injury, it was usually worse for the person in the right seat (I don't know why).
In a driver safety course I learned that in crash situations, drivers have a tendency to put themselves first, putting as much between themselves and the object about to be hit as possible.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:38 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlanka
Impressions:

1) Overall it reminds me of both Lightning and Thunderbolt at NJMP in terms of layout
2) The facilities are fine, paddock is ample and the location isn't that far off the beaten track...
3) It's got some elevation but not a huge amount
4) The front straight is long but in a spec boxster not something that really is apparent, since once the car reaches about 110 it creeps up really slowly. I imagine int the GT3 it would have been much more astounding (I think I heard it was 3300 feet)
5) I practiced my deep braking on turn 1, starting at 5 and eventually getting down to 3 although I chirped the tires a few times doing 3.

Turn impressions:

Turn 1 is nice and tight, but not too hard to master. Decreasing radius which was fun

Turn 2 not much of a turn more like a bend.

Turn 3 (high speed left hander) was tough to master, in terms of when to brake for it and how much. Had to work on that both days.

Turn 4 I enjoyed a lot. It gave a really good chance to practice big vision since when I would look way downfield to turn 5 it would smooth right out.

Turn 5 (really tight left hander) I was told by my instructor to head straight for the apex. Only other hard braking section on the track beside turn 1, which gave me a lot of practice on judging when to apply brakes and trail braking. I liked that turn.

Turn 6 (entry to carousel) I was told was a throw away, key was the exit.

Turns 7 and 8 were a lot of fun for me, sort of like a mini "esses" at The Glen.

Turn 9 was not as dangerous as I was told it would be probably due to a number of factors. I stayed away from a tight apex due to smoothness of the pavement. I also always tried to hit 7 and 8 as accurately as possible in order to make 9 go better. I practiced applying the throttle earlier and earlier over the 2 days on that turn.

The short straight after 9 was interesting, under the bridge etc. I tried a number of different techniques to set up for 10 on that straight, finally deciding on just left of center under the bridge. But then I had to setup for 10.

Turn 10 for me was the toughest turn on the track. I had a lot of early apex problems with that turn. I had to work a lot at it and I actually got some oversteer a few times during my learning. At dinner last night one of the instructors said he gets all the way left a lot earlier than recommended to setup for that, but I didn't have any more track time to practice.

I took a walk into the woods via this path I found, but I was unable to figure out how to get to the back grandstands which I saw from the track. Should have asked someone about that

All in all I was happy I went, a little nervous after the deer strike (2 more sessions after) on the front straight, but I made it out unscathed and ready to come back next year.

Jeff
Don't want to go too far OT for this thread, so here are some quick thoughts on SP:

- T1 and T3 are the hardest turns for me. Our GT3 will get to about 150 before braking for T1 ... but don't try to get there by braking late!
- T4 gets scary when entry speed gets high, leaving little room for error.
- Agree on T5 and T6.
- T9 is a higher-risk turn which requires precision and readiness to correct with the hands if the car gets upset (while staying on the gas).
- T10 has some flexibility depending on how much of the extra pavement at trackout you choose to use. If you overdo it and are running wide, drive it off, else there's a high chance of hitting the inside wall at high speed.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:58 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Look forward to seeing photo's
Old 11-16-2015, 10:53 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I have avoided Summit so far because of this. I will likely end up racing there next year though. If it wasn't on the schedule, I wouldn't even consider it. I hope there's a cost effective solution they can come up with that ends these incidents. Doesn't seem like it would be too complicated to put a big chain link fence up.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:16 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kk2
I have avoided Summit so far because of this. I will likely end up racing there next year though. If it wasn't on the schedule, I wouldn't even consider it. I hope there's a cost effective solution they can come up with that ends these incidents. Doesn't seem like it would be too complicated to put a big chain link fence up.
People argue that deer can jump fences, breach them, or get around them. True, but a high enough fence which is properly installed and maintained will stop most or all deer, and strategic placement of fence can direct movement of deer away from high-speed locations of the track. Reducing the deer risk to zero may be too expensive, but that doesn't mean the risk can't be greatly reduced at reasonable cost - it's not all-or-nothing.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:00 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Look forward to seeing photo's
+1 - need to see the picts

Australia also has this for roos, maybe there is something similar you could do for deer? https://www.shuroo.com.au/

Quick Reply: Front of GT3 Destroyed by Deer Impact