Sponsored by:

Front of GT3 Destroyed by Deer Impact

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 12:18 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
From a risk assessment standpoint, looking back over my own track experience, I would say that my risk factors, from highest to lowest, have been about as follows:

- Fluids dumped (or, less commonly, parts dropped) by other cars
- Mechanical issues with my own cars (I've never dumped fluids)
- My own driving errors (including not being fully cognizant of track conditions)
- Errors of other drivers in my proximity
- Animals on track
I think we all encounter these in same order however I would place assclown drivers (not as many in higher skilled groups but none the less they do exist) towards top alongside fluids on track. These risks that we deal with makes it even more important to rid a racetrack of deer! Saw a guy spin out when he smashed a squirrel a few years ago at Sebring but that seemed to be a one in a million event there, I've never seen one since.

Last edited by sccchiii; 11-15-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:31 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Back when Reno Fernley Raceway existed, they use to have problems with wild Mustangs!

Just to clarify....the horses!
Old 11-15-2015, 12:41 PM
pmcgannon
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 GT3 Deer Impact

I am the guy who hit the deer. Impact occurred at about 140mph just before braking point at turn 1 SP. track conditions were good save for the fact your driving toward the afternoon sun. Absolutely nothing I could have done at that speed. The animal entered the road surface moving from my left. It leaped in the air & struck the hood and rt front quarter panel as well as the windshield. Six point harness and Simpson Hybrid FHR served me well.

I have serious concerns about returning to SP until something definitive is to at least reduce this risk.

PKM
Old 11-15-2015, 12:41 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,750 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
I think we all encounter these in same order however I would place assclown drivers (not as many in higher skilled groups but none the less they do exist) towards top alongside fluids on track.
I've always practiced 'defensive driving' on track, and advised students to do the same, especially when in proximity of drivers I don't know and trust. I think that has helped me avoid several fender benders, and there are often warning signs that a driver is going to do something which could put you (and him) at risk, so I consider being sensitive to those warning signs to be part of situational awareness. I find that this kind of SA is often a key part of what separates intermediate from advanced drivers.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:47 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pmcgannon
I am the guy who hit the deer. Impact occurred at about 140mph just before braking point at turn 1 SP. track conditions were good save for the fact your driving toward the afternoon sun. Absolutely nothing I could have done at that speed. The animal entered the road surface moving from my left. It leaped in the air & struck the hood and rt front quarter panel as well as the windshield. Six point harness and Simpson Hybrid FHR served me well.

I have serious concerns about returning to SP until something definitive is to at least reduce this risk.

PKM
Let's make it less painful and instead say the deer hit you. Really glad you're ok. Seeing that kind of damage to a car that looked just like mine made it clear that it could have been me, and sent a chill through me. And yes, the sun in the eyes didn't help.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:55 PM
soupy
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 22 Posts

Deer impacts have occurred on Summit Point way too often to call them rare anymore there
Old 11-15-2015, 01:30 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

I've always practiced 'defensive driving' on track, and advised students to do the same, especially when in proximity of drivers I don't know and trust. I think that has helped me avoid several fender benders, and there are often warning signs that a driver is going to do something which could put you (and him) at risk, so I consider being sensitive to those warning signs to be part of situational awareness. I find that this kind of SA is often a key part of what separates intermediate from advanced drivers.

Not to turn this into semantics of track driving but all the items you mention should be verbal basics any student goes through BEFORE they touch the track for first time. If you are teaching students in intermediate group this a lot then they should be moved back into novice group immediately if they fail to show you signs they understand clearly
Old 11-15-2015, 02:08 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Not to turn this into semantics of track driving but all the items you mention should be verbal basics any student goes through BEFORE they touch the track for first time. If you are teaching students in intermediate group this a lot then they should be moved back into novice group immediately if they fail to show you signs they understand clearly
I think it's a matter of degree, rather than black and white. As you noted, sometimes experienced advanced drivers mess these things up too. Not giving timely point-bys in top run groups isn't uncommon, and is a good example of SA falling short; that needs to be addressed, but not usually by bumping those drivers all the way back to novice.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:29 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

I think it's a matter of degree, rather than black and white. As you noted, sometimes experienced advanced drivers mess these things up too. Not giving timely point-bys in top run groups isn't uncommon, and is a good example of SA falling short; that needs to be addressed, but not usually by bumping those drivers all the way back to novice.
Yes but I think you would solve the consistent "late" point bys guy quickly if they did push them back. It is far to common in top dog groups. Little seems to correct the regulars that do it and it leads to very unsafe conditions. Last time at Sebring we had a goofball holding up a line of 5 very quick cars. He needed a black flag for the year!!!!
Old 11-15-2015, 02:46 PM
snabbgt3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its fortunate that the animals crossing are not the Canadian or northern European moose. Have had close call with a moose in Sweden. These animals are so large that a head-on collision is generally associated with a car totaled and occupants injured. These moose can gallop across roads, like deer do ...

Several decades ago, the Swedish authorities erected high fencing along the major roadways in Sweden to reduce human fatalities (and animal suffering) ... something to consider around Summit. If you travel through Sweden you'll see this ubiquitous fencing.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:53 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

+100. They need to at least black flag for not pointing by fast enough, but I've never seen it actually happen. The folks running the event talk the talk but never actually enforce it with corner workers. My guess is they don't want to deal with the complaining drivers that get flagged and deny holding anyone up...

Yes but I think you would solve the consistent "late" point bys guy quickly if they did push them back. It is far to common in top dog groups. Little seems to correct the regulars that do it and it leads to very unsafe conditions. Last time at Sebring we had a goofball holding up a line of 5 very quick cars. He needed a black flag for the year!!!!
Old 11-15-2015, 03:13 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Scary situation. You are fortunate to walk away uninjured.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:08 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
+100. They need to at least black flag for not pointing by fast enough, but I've never seen it actually happen. The folks running the event talk the talk but never actually enforce it with corner workers. My guess is they don't want to deal with the complaining drivers that get flagged and deny holding anyone up...
Agreed on both posts. Chin makes the passing expectations clear, and will bump people down if they hold people up (and people voluntarily bump themselves down also). I see this as more of a problem at events like PCA, where the social aspects are more prevalent, often resulting in less enforcement. Of course us 991 GT3 guys will encounter this issue more often because of the pace of our car!
Old 11-15-2015, 04:20 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Glad driver is okay. Deer are a plague in Mid-Atlantic states.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:36 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad all ok - cars can be replaced. You must have had great reactions to maintain some sort of control of car at 140mph - that's fast.
I've was at Barber Motorsport Park on a bike track day when someone got skittled because of a deer strike. The attached is a fairly well known incident of a bike hitting a deer at Summit Point - seems like this track does have an issue with deer - do a youtube search. Biker sufferered dislocated shoulder and broken finger. How the second biker staid up is amazing.
Should just put up a "warning" - the video is somewhat graphic & might be upsetting to some.

Quick Reply: Front of GT3 Destroyed by Deer Impact