Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

talked to dealer GM today - a little more intel on RS, PTS, R, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 10:09 PM
Canspeed
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

991 RS and Macan Turbo, great daily driver
Old 11-24-2015, 10:24 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Maybe we should do a poll? Just talking with GT folks at the Experience center last May, and recently in Monterey, many have them. I have 2013 GTS, and it is a great SUV. Just got back from driving in a foot of snow.
don't really a have horse in the race, just sharing data

i have no doubt that in our enthusiast community here on rennlist, or at a pca track event, or the experience center, we will find a disproportionate number of brand loyalists that have specialty cars and mainline Porsches...
Old 11-24-2015, 10:25 PM
Salj
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 53 Posts

I awaiting my 3rd GT3 next week and am on my 2nd Cayenne.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:28 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sal, that was fast! seems like yesterday you were trying to get a 16 allocation.
Congrats. What color this time?
Old 11-24-2015, 10:40 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,770 Likes on 4,771 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Maybe we should do a poll? Just talking with GT folks at the Experience center last May, and recently in Monterey, many have them. I have 2013 GTS, and it is a great SUV. Just got back from driving in a foot of snow.
I don't think it's either here or there, whether GT owners, or Porschephiles, own or have owned one or multiple SUVs.

As I said before, the point of halo cars, like the RS and to some extent the GT3, is to build a certain brand image. A patina of uber specialness that separates it from other competitors in the market. In other words, brand cache.

There's a reason why the Macan, even at a 10% premium at MSRP over its competitors, sells so fast that Porsche can't make enough of them, or make them fast enough. Especially overseas. Same is true for to a lesser extent for the Cayenne.

One could have an Audi Q5 for about $10K less than a similarly equipped Macan, but most choose not to. Even though the Q5 is based on ostensibly the same platform as the Macan (or to put another way, the Macan is just a rebagded Q5).

Why? Because
Old 11-24-2015, 10:49 PM
Salj
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 53 Posts

Jonathan it is another white. This time with LWB and red stitching. Roger Beasley got me the allocation. The dealership will be turned over to new ownership next week. Will be a good change all round.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:46 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Salj
Jonathan it is another white. This time with LWB and red stitching. Roger Beasley got me the allocation. The dealership will be turned over to new ownership next week. Will be a good change all round.
Good call. I'd probably do red stitching if I could do it over again.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:14 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
As I said before, the point of halo cars, like the RS and to some extent the GT3, is to build a certain brand image. A patina of uber specialness that separates it from other competitors in the market. In other words, brand cache.
I think everybody understands the concept of a halo product. But that is the role of the 918 and (if they decide to build it) the 960.

The question is why not build enough GT3s (and presumably 911Rs) to satisfy demand at MSRP. The Turbo and Turbo S are at similar MSRP points as the GT3 and GT3RS, but can be had at a discount. From a 'cache' standpoint, the general Macan and Cayenne buying public aspiring to the brand don't know one $150-200k 911 from another.

Perhaps Porsche product planners are inept and put themselves in a box with their production line and suppliers, as we have seen with availability issues of various colors and options.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:56 PM
Canspeed
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

having owned an Audi Q5/SQ5 before the Macan, even though they share the same platform, they drive completely different, seating position etc..
Old 11-26-2015, 11:22 AM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Canspeed
having owned an Audi Q5/SQ5 before the Macan, even though they share the same platform, they drive completely different, seating position etc..
This

Very different behavior, a lot more RWD bias as an example. A lot more fun in the snow!
Old 11-26-2015, 02:56 PM
ZZinger
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 16' CTT arriving in 30 days on order. Best all around SUV you can buy, i am excited. I also have a 991 GT3. I am next in line at dealer for RS. Buying many cars from the same dealer helps get GT cars in my opinion. I may never get a RS but they say I likely will. GM says he feels more cars are coming but who knows. We'll see.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:07 PM
991 GT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
again why does anyone believe without any evidence that the GT cars are not profitable, Ive always thought they were all overpriced, really for 50k more than a reg GT3, what do you get slightly bigger motor new fenders tires wheels roof wing, wider body, how much does that really cost?, how about for the regular GT3, wing new nose and tail, reprogrammed PDK, different motor for 50 k more? some of theses are technology that will trickle down to reg 911 anyway, new nose, is a different mold, does it really cost more? less cars means I dont buy one, so one less sale, hows that maximize profit, less cars means more douchey behavior by dealers, that means more discouraged customers, Ive always loved Porsche. My coworker doesn't care, but he buys Porsches because it was hard for him to get a F-car with dealer games
A lot wish it were only 50k more. More like 200k more.

Quick Reply: talked to dealer GM today - a little more intel on RS, PTS, R, etc.