Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RECALL on 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 09:37 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

Seapar I just picked up my GT3 yesterday from Bellevue for a check engine light and was told about the bulletin. The dealer didn't have the new parts in stock yet.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I e-mailed my service manager and cc'd my sales rep this afternoon and got a quick reply (on a Saturday!) from both. The recall is by VIN and my 2014 is not included although another customer's new RS was. I have to say, this kind of response from my dealer is why I keep going back to them.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:09 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,770 Likes on 4,771 Posts

I am told I have a TSB on my car, but Porsche has not issued a written recall for it. So the tech doesn't know what is is about yet.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:02 AM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
no letter, but I did get a call from my dealer yesterday saying they need to do this fix on my 15 GT3.
My car was built in October. I have not been contacted. When was yours built?
Old 11-08-2015, 12:06 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
My car was built in October. I have not been contacted. When was yours built?
I don't remember the build date exactly, but it arrived at my dealer in Philly the week before Christmas last year.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:10 AM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
I don't remember the build date exactly, but it arrived at my dealer in Philly the week before Christmas last year.
Mine came in the week of Christmas. Will be calling the dealer on Monday! Thanks for the info.

BTW I worked in Philly in the early 80s. Became a fan of Bookbinders as well as several cheesesteak joints. I loved the city.
Old 11-08-2015, 03:08 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

From what I've seen online so far it appears it's a faulty coil. If that's the case, why are they changing the style of sparkplug at the same time... Changing the sparkplug, to me points to something other than just the coil wasn't manufactured correctly, or had a few factory escapes...
Old 11-08-2015, 04:29 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie_GT3
From what I've seen online so far it appears it's a faulty coil. If that's the case, why are they changing the style of sparkplug at the same time... Changing the sparkplug, to me points to something other than just the coil wasn't manufactured correctly, or had a few factory escapes...
>>>>>>>>>>EMISSIONS SCANDAL????????????>>>>>>>>>>>>

Just kidding!!!! But with all the cheating VW has done, it wouldn't surprise me if the 991 GT3 wasn't also engineered around the emissions testing.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:46 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,388 Likes on 720 Posts

I do not get it. Why would certain GT3s be recalled and need a whole different spark plugs while mostly others' do not - some thing not right
Old 11-08-2015, 06:06 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Sounds like we have similar build dates. Mine was delivered Dec 5.

Last 4 of my VIN is 3636
Old 11-08-2015, 08:05 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I do not get it. Why would certain GT3s be recalled and need a whole different spark plugs while mostly others' do not - some thing not right
I have a feeling this will cover all GT3s...
Old 11-08-2015, 08:41 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Agreed, that's what I was driving at... Means there are really two TSB's or recalls...
Old 11-08-2015, 09:30 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
I have a feeling this will cover all GT3s...
So do I. I think there is more to it myself. I bet all 991 GT3 will be included eventually. The letter states an ECU reprogramming for mid range. That is strange. I am no skeptic, but this may be a pre-emptive emissions strike. As the aftermarket header/exhaust guys are figuring out, when given more air, there is a weird dip in mid range RPM. There is overlap of the valves, where the exhaust valves stay open, allowing fresh air into the exhaust system. Perhaps this is right where they get tested? This would dilute the outgoing dirty air, at the cost of performance at a specified RPM. Another factor to be curious about, is that Porsche states the new 911's PDK can slip both clutches, providing a virtual gear between gears. Likely also done for emissions. Anyone want to bet the current PDK already does this? I bet when it is all said and done, the demise of the manual transmission will be due to emissions limitations, more than just performance reasons. And the eventual demise of the NA motor will also be due to emissions. What tends to bother me, is that in the big picture, the turbo motors are just another engineering fix to get around emissions. During testing, those turbos are not spooling, in essence, running like a lower HP engine. Yet, during real world use, the turbo motors are no better. In my last 335 BMW, it would get decent MPG when cruising on the highway, and just terrible MPG in real world in town driving. Even take the PDK auto mode for example. When the GT3 is in normal auto mode, the car shifts to 7th gear right away. So much so that it doesn't feel like a GT3. Coincidence? Do you think Porsche wanted to make the GT3 as boring as a 4 cylinder automatic Camry? I think they were forced to to make it pass emissions. And in everyday driving, we all run it in manual mode or sport auto.....producing much more emissions and burning a lot more fossil fuels.

All just speculation.......of course.......
Old 11-08-2015, 11:32 PM
MDKK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
So do I. I think there is more to it myself. I bet all 991 GT3 will be included eventually. The letter states an ECU reprogramming for mid range. That is strange. I am no skeptic, but this may be a pre-emptive emissions strike. As the aftermarket header/exhaust guys are figuring out, when given more air, there is a weird dip in mid range RPM. There is overlap of the valves, where the exhaust valves stay open, allowing fresh air into the exhaust system. Perhaps this is right where they get tested? This would dilute the outgoing dirty air, at the cost of performance at a specified RPM. Another factor to be curious about, is that Porsche states the new 911's PDK can slip both clutches, providing a virtual gear between gears. Likely also done for emissions. Anyone want to bet the current PDK already does this? I bet when it is all said and done, the demise of the manual transmission will be due to emissions limitations, more than just performance reasons. And the eventual demise of the NA motor will also be due to emissions. What tends to bother me, is that in the big picture, the turbo motors are just another engineering fix to get around emissions. During testing, those turbos are not spooling, in essence, running like a lower HP engine. Yet, during real world use, the turbo motors are no better. In my last 335 BMW, it would get decent MPG when cruising on the highway, and just terrible MPG in real world in town driving. Even take the PDK auto mode for example. When the GT3 is in normal auto mode, the car shifts to 7th gear right away. So much so that it doesn't feel like a GT3. Coincidence? Do you think Porsche wanted to make the GT3 as boring as a 4 cylinder automatic Camry? I think they were forced to to make it pass emissions. And in everyday driving, we all run it in manual mode or sport auto.....producing much more emissions and burning a lot more fossil fuels.

All just speculation.......of course.......
Old 11-09-2015, 02:21 AM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
So do I. I think there is more to it myself. I bet all 991 GT3 will be included eventually. The letter states an ECU reprogramming for mid range. That is strange. I am no skeptic, but this may be a pre-emptive emissions strike. As the aftermarket header/exhaust guys are figuring out, when given more air, there is a weird dip in mid range RPM. There is overlap of the valves, where the exhaust valves stay open, allowing fresh air into the exhaust system. Perhaps this is right where they get tested? This would dilute the outgoing dirty air, at the cost of performance at a specified RPM.
The dip is more about Porsche tuning for the existing exhaust with a lot of overlap to overcome some of the exhausts shortcomings. When we remove these shortcomings the air doesn't stay in the cylinder and the car can't tell it's not there anymore, so it's rich and lowers torque.

Suppose we'll find out soon enough. We have logs of seapar's 991 GT3 before any changes, will be interesting to see what they look like after the change...

Quick Reply: RECALL on 991 GT3