991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS wheel on GT3.. is lowest cost way to have RS...Haha

Old 11-25-2015, 12:09 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

I understand the perspective. But neither an modified OEM GT3 wheel w/ carbon and other goodies vs. an OEM GT3 RS wheel is stock on the GT3, right?

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Hmmm... MACarbon upgrade GT3 wheel is about $1500. Keeps stock wheel, choice of multiple leathers, multiple stitch color and patterns, multiple center stripes colors, option for thick size and IMO better finish work. Close to half the price. I can live with the stock "oversize" wheel and the "slow" PDK I like a red stitch, red center stripe with black smooth leather to match the cars red accents. Just not a fan of a wheel that doesn't come spec'd to the car.. RS mystique?

Last edited by Mech33; 11-25-2015 at 12:40 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:01 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,379 Likes on 718 Posts

Yep. Agreed...CF?
I bought some ones' CF wheel that they had custom made. Did it on a whim and ended up being one of the better decision I have made.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:02 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mech33
I understand the perspective. But neither an modified OEM GT3 wheel w/ carbon and other goodies vs. an OEM GT3 RS wheel is stock on the GT3, right?
Correct
Old 11-25-2015, 01:41 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Hey Laguna_Dude, did the airbag you ordered come with a plastic cover, or a leather cover? (see pics I just posted)

Now I am suspecting that "full leather" cars come with leather airbags, while base interior cars might come with the plastic airbags... need to dig up some more pics to confirm.
My alcantara wheel came with the plastic/rubber airbag... it is same as top of dash and other plastic/rubber material within the cabin. I think the leather airbag is for full leather cars only. Congrats on adding wheel! Post some pics!!!
Old 11-25-2015, 01:43 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hfm
This thread and what you did is nothing but goodness.

Dan (supports real "winning")
Thank you!
Old 11-25-2015, 01:48 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Hmmm... MACarbon upgrade GT3 wheel is about $1500. Keeps stock wheel, choice of multiple leathers, multiple stitch color and patterns, multiple center stripes colors, option for thick size and IMO better finish work. Close to half the price. I can live with the stock "oversize" wheel and the "slow" PDK I like a red stitch, red center stripe with black smooth leather to match the cars red accents. Just not a fan of a wheel that doesn't come spec'd to the car.. RS mystique?
I still have the stock wheel/airbag; so if i sell her, the new owner can go back to stock in minutes. it's really easy to swap. I like the new spoke pattern of the 918 style wheel. I also like the smaller diameter and thinner wheel. The yellow stripe and shifters are a bonus.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:52 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
I still have the stock wheel/airbag; so if i sell her, the new owner can go back to stock in minutes. it's really easy to swap. I like the new spoke pattern of the 918 style wheel. I also like the smaller diameter and thinner wheel. The yellow stripe and shifters are a bonus.
I think the RS wheel will recover 75% of the original cost if you remove it when you eventually sell the car, so the cost of ownership isn't that high.

Thanks for confirming that the air bag on the Suncoast site is the plastic one.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:47 AM
speeddistrict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get the cup fenders/bumpers and RS wing.. would be sick.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:58 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I like the size of the RS wheel very much, though I tried for a slightly thicker rim. Not available. Oddly, I was able to get it specced when I ordered on my 7.2RS for ED . It was a family obscure accessory though......

Old 11-25-2015, 10:31 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
There is a decent market for the GT3 wheel. There is always some one who tracks who is interested in a spare one for when their original gets worn.

I sold mine in 2 hours and helped offset the cost of the CF wheel.

I was not interested in keeping it to give to next Owner because the CF wheel they will get on my car is a piece of Art
Old 11-25-2015, 04:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ronan. How do you find the new fixed buckets vs the GT2 folding buckets? I like being able to easily access the rear, especially long jurneys. Wondered if you miss it too

The "RS" wheel is the same as the Macan one right? I see this wheel everywhere in the showroom. There appears to be nothing unique about it. The GT3 wheel is not standard on 991 is it? I thought it was an option. I dont see it about often at the dealer. Maybe thats why it will sell easier?

Personally I will wait for the 991.2 steering wheel. It looks like RS wheel but has controls for sports mode etc. it would be handy to have phone controls there too. The dealer principle has driven with it (at the launch) and says its very useful and he thinks I can retrofit but may need a small change to loom...who knows. He did say the wheel spoke inserts are a bit plasticy still and he had hoped they hard changed these to black anodised alloy. The shift apparently is shorter like with all the new wheels....
Old 11-25-2015, 04:39 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hate to sound like a party pooper, but has Porsche itself confirmed that these wheels are retrofittable from a safety point of view, ie have they confirmed that air bag will fire...and are any dealers willing to install them? My concern is not just safety, but potential insurance coverage issues.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:41 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Cool idea, but I think it's unlikely those extra buttons will function in an older GT3.

Originally Posted by Macca
Ronan. How do you find the new fixed buckets vs the GT2 folding buckets? I like being able to easily access the rear, especially long jurneys. Wondered if you miss it too

The "RS" wheel is the same as the Macan one right? I see this wheel everywhere in the showroom. There appears to be nothing unique about it. The GT3 wheel is not standard on 991 is it? I thought it was an option. I dont see it about often at the dealer. Maybe thats why it will sell easier?

Personally I will wait for the 991.2 steering wheel. It looks like RS wheel but has controls for sports mode etc. it would be handy to have phone controls there too. The dealer principle has driven with it (at the launch) and says its very useful and he thinks I can retrofit but may need a small change to loom...who knows. He did say the wheel spoke inserts are a bit plasticy still and he had hoped they hard changed these to black anodised alloy. The shift apparently is shorter like with all the new wheels....
Old 11-25-2015, 04:55 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

what we need is retrofitted clubsport paddles
Old 11-25-2015, 04:57 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca

991.2 wheel has a bunch of screws and too many buttons on it. it looks really cheap and ugly compared to the RS wheel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RS wheel on GT3.. is lowest cost way to have RS...Haha