991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS wheel on GT3.. is lowest cost way to have RS...Haha

Old 11-20-2015, 07:43 AM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great! Thanks for being a pioneer. Thinking of making the swap if it becomes available in leather. Only saw the alacantra on the Suncoast site.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:16 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Great service for rennlisters here, bravo for taking the time to post, awesome
Old 11-20-2015, 09:50 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Laguna Dude, nice job and great write up! Did you try Sunset Porsche parts in Oregon too?
Old 11-20-2015, 10:21 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another great DYI write up. It looks great and thanks.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:11 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Awesome work!
Old 11-20-2015, 01:15 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Nicely done! Enjoy!
Old 11-20-2015, 03:07 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Thank you fellas! I drove it to office this morning; no error codes whatsoever. The paddles are smaller vs. GT3 wheel.. and the shift throw is noticeably shorter w/RS wheel. The compact size of wheel makes car feel ever more alive and precise. The thickness of the wheel did feel a little thinner vs. GT3 wheel; i actually like it; as the wheel seems much easier to work quickly.. I have a track event in December; i will post how it feels on track vs. stock wheel as well.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:14 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Very nice write up on the install and congrats on the good looking wheel, Laguna_Dude! I haven't decided yet whether to spend the money for the change, but if I do it's good to know there are great DIY instructions for the project.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:54 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rm21
Looks great! Thanks for being a pioneer. Thinking of making the swap if it becomes available in leather. Only saw the alacantra on the Suncoast site.
I would call them vs. order online. It seems like there are more options available vs. what you can buy online. I would think if Porsche offers a full leather option on RS, they must sell the wheel. Sun Coast has live part inventory in Germany, so they were able to tell me exactly how many of each were available and timing, etc.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:55 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by STG991
Laguna Dude, nice job and great write up! Did you try Sunset Porsche parts in Oregon too?
I did not; only Sun Coast; however, they were quick and I saved sales tax.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:11 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

IMHO, Cheapest way to get RS (performance) is to add the Crawford Wing@ $3K.
I'd expect it would reduce the expected lap-time differential of 1 Second on average US Tracks, (similar to 997 GT3 vs 997 GT3RS) to 0.5 Seconds. Of course good coaching would reduce your lap times far more for
even less cost.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:31 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

thanks for the info and the post...
I think i would buy this wheel if it was thicker...i can't stand the pencil-ness of the gt3 wheel
Old 11-21-2015, 12:43 AM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
I think i would buy this wheel if it was thicker...i can't stand the pencil-ness of the gt3 wheel
Agreed! My M5 wheel is thicker! I'm surprised.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:41 AM
Backroads
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Ditto
Old 11-21-2015, 10:19 AM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
Hello RL'ers... so got the RS wheel and airbag and installed myself tonight... here it goes....

GMG said it would be easier and more cost effective to order the wheel at Sun Coast and install myself.. they said it was simple and would only take 20 minutes or so.. Scott @ GMG is the man! So I called Sun Coast and ordered the RS wheel with silver stitching and RS airbag.. the wheel was about $2,8750 and the airbag was about $975. I saved on sale tax and decided to pay up for the expedited service.. all in, total coast for everything was about $4,700... no other costs, as I installed myself. Took about 7 days to arrive.. had to be shipped via ground from their location in FL; so most of shipping time was from FL vs. from Germany to FL.

Porsche only had a couple wheels available for immediate ship... so better get on it! Also, Sun Coast was awesome... super easy and fast. Will definitely order from them again.

First Impressions:
RS is about 3/4" shorter when standing next to GT3 wheel. Alcantara and silver stitching is a spot on match to my GT3. Thickness is about the same. Paddles on RS wheel are a shorter throw; by maybe 20-30% vs GT3 paddles... and man is it nice to have that yellow strip back! As an RS guy; i missed it!

INSTALL:
Time: 20-30 minutes
Tip: Google: 991 porsche steering wheel install.. Here is a good one:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...val-991-a.html

What you will need:
1.) RS wheel and RS airbag.
2.) 10mm socket or wrench (to disconnect battery)
3.) Small flat head screw driver (for popping out airbag module from wheel) and removing the wire harnesses from airbag and wheel.
4.) Torx T55 socket and torque wrench (to remove and re-install screw that holds wheel in place).

Step 1:
Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Battery is located under front bonnet; remove the large plastic cover and use 10mm socket to loosen negative harness from battery. Keep the bonnet open.

Step 2:
Keep driver's side door open; locate small hole in bottom of steering wheel; use small flat-tip screw driver and you will insert into hole and make the flat part run perpendicular to dash (or inline with steering column) and feel for spring; you will feel a springy resistance when you find it; push the screw driver up to compress spring and the airbag module will pop forward and be released from the wheel.

Step 3:
Remove the three connectors from back of airbag module.. two of them will require using the flat screw driver to pop up the orange snaps on back of harnesses and then they easily can be pulled off.. the ground wire is a simple crimp style attachment.. just pull that off... and then viola; the airbag is out!

Step 4:
Remove the harness of wheel from steering column. It is located at top center in back of inside of wheel. Use the screwdriver to push the little arm locking harness in place.. and then pull the harness out. Make sure the wheel is centered and then use the T55 socket and wrench to loosen and remove the center nut. Do not remove the wheel yet. Ensure the steering column has a notch to show center; mine did. If yours doesn't, use a sharpy to mark center of column with the center notch in wheel... then remove the old wheel.

Step 5:
Place new RS wheel onto column with the notch on wheel perfectly aligned with the notch in the column. Then install harness inside wheel to column and install the center nut. Tighten to about 40lbs of torque.. or as tight as you can get it. Lol.

Step 6:
Install new RS airbag.. the RS airbag only has 2 harnesses that are clearly marked and can only match one of each of the two female ports on back of airbag module. Install those and align airbag and push into place; it will snap in. the airbag module has two little male pegs that fit into holes in center of wheel.. so it's very simple and idiot proof.

Step 7:
Reconnect battery and put cover back on; shut bonnet and you are done.

BEFORE:
See the stock GT3 wheel.. it's nice; but IMO, looks too much like standard 911 models... and too street looking and not track focused...

AFTER:
I love the new wheel; not only does it look better, IMO, but I like the smaller diameter for more precise and easier inputs and I like the shorter shifts. IMO, this is a must-do upgrade for any GT3 owner looking to use on track... for price and easy of install; it's totally worth it!

And here she is; all done and put to bed.. with her new wheel.
George, you're hired!!! Well done buddy, I am looking forward to seeing you at our track day soon!

Cheers!

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RS wheel on GT3.. is lowest cost way to have RS...Haha