Sponsored by:

RS wheel on GT3.. is lowest cost way to have RS...Haha

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 02:22 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
Hello Fellas - I have tried diligently to get an RS allocation and refuse to spend the $100k+ markup for the Lava Orange RS' with sport seats for sale at the moment... so I have decided to stop the search and enjoy my GT3... with that said...
Sounds like a great compromise. Will be very interested to see the result and hear if there are any complications. Good luck with the upgrade!
Old 11-07-2015, 05:23 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GT333
so the steering wheel will fit for certain as long as you get the RS airbag correct?
You can get the RS airbag from suncoast also or need to get separately from dealership?

Thanks!
i am ordering through GMG and they are installing; wheel and airbag; you cannot install the GT3 airbag on the RS wheel; need to get RS airbag.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:01 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,720 Likes on 913 Posts

Add the RS front fenders, lower lip, wheels, and tires, as well as the RS rear wing and you'll have 95% of the grip as well. Guessing $8k-$10k all in.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:21 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

It will be interesting if the throws will be quicker/shorter with the RS paddles if this works
Old 11-07-2015, 01:51 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
It will be interesting if the throws will be quicker/shorter with the RS paddles if this works
Yes, they will be; as the wheel includes the paddles; which are physically a shorter throw/click vs GT3.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:54 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nizer
Add the RS front fenders, lower lip, wheels, and tires, as well as the RS rear wing and you'll have 95% of the grip as well. Guessing $8k-$10k all in.
I would rather pass them in a GT3 vs. RS clone.. makes it sweeter. Lol.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:33 PM
Giggle
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nizer wrote...
"Add the RS front fenders, lower lip, wheels, and tires, as well as the RS rear wing and you'll have 95% of the grip as well. Guessing $8k-$10k all in."

I would think that more like 30K plus would be needed to do that and even then Porsche probably wont supply.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:57 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,720 Likes on 913 Posts

All this stuff from RS 4.0 eventually became available via Suncoast and others and it was nowhere near $30k.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:26 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm looking forward to how the steering wheel retrofit works out. I didn't have any complaints with the GT3 wheel (other than my left paddle stopped working around 1000 miles), but the smaller RS wheel would definitely be cool. As a purist, I will likely leave the stock wheel, but I am curious to hear if you can achieve success.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:33 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I'm looking forward to how the steering wheel retrofit works out. I didn't have any complaints with the GT3 wheel (other than my left paddle stopped working around 1000 miles), but the smaller RS wheel would definitely be cool. As a purist, I will likely leave the stock wheel, but I am curious to hear if you can achieve success.
I will definitely keep the original GT3 wheel to revert back to stock for myself or any future owner. I will post pics and results as soon as it's done.

Last edited by Laguna_Dude; 11-09-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:43 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
All this stuff from RS 4.0 eventually became available via Suncoast and others and it was nowhere near $30k.
The big RS wing and uprights will be the more than $10K alone. I recall even the .1 RS wing went for $15K after Porsche decided they could make some coin on us.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:40 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Hello RL'ers... so got the RS wheel and airbag and installed myself tonight... here it goes....

GMG said it would be easier and more cost effective to order the wheel at Sun Coast and install myself.. they said it was simple and would only take 20 minutes or so.. Scott @ GMG is the man! So I called Sun Coast and ordered the RS wheel with silver stitching and RS airbag.. the wheel was about $2,8750 and the airbag was about $975. I saved on sale tax and decided to pay up for the expedited service.. all in, total coast for everything was about $4,700... no other costs, as I installed myself. Took about 7 days to arrive.. had to be shipped via ground from their location in FL; so most of shipping time was from FL vs. from Germany to FL.

Porsche only had a couple wheels available for immediate ship... so better get on it! Also, Sun Coast was awesome... super easy and fast. Will definitely order from them again.

First Impressions:
RS is about 3/4" shorter when standing next to GT3 wheel. Alcantara and silver stitching is a spot on match to my GT3. Thickness is about the same. Paddles on RS wheel are a shorter throw; by maybe 20-30% vs GT3 paddles... and man is it nice to have that yellow strip back! As an RS guy; i missed it!

INSTALL:
Time: 20-30 minutes
Tip: Google: 991 porsche steering wheel install.. Here is a good one:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...val-991-a.html

What you will need:
1.) RS wheel and RS airbag.
2.) 10mm socket or wrench (to disconnect battery)
3.) Small flat head screw driver (for popping out airbag module from wheel) and removing the wire harnesses from airbag and wheel.
4.) 12mm XZN Triple-Square and/or Torx T55 socket and torque wrench (to remove and re-install screw that holds wheel in place).

Step 1:
Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Battery is located under front bonnet; remove the large plastic cover and use 10mm socket to loosen negative harness from battery. Keep the bonnet open.

Step 2:
Keep driver's side door open; locate small hole in bottom of steering wheel; use small flat-tip screw driver and you will insert into hole and make the flat part run perpendicular to dash (or inline with steering column) and feel for spring; you will feel a springy resistance when you find it; push the screw driver up to compress spring and the airbag module will pop forward and be released from the wheel.

Step 3:
Remove the three connectors from back of airbag module.. two of them will require using the flat screw driver to pop up the orange snaps on back of harnesses and then they easily can be pulled off.. the ground wire is a simple crimp style attachment.. just pull that off... and then viola; the airbag is out!

Step 4:
Remove the harness of wheel from steering column. It is located at top center in back of inside of wheel. Use the screwdriver to push the little arm locking harness in place.. and then pull the harness out. Make sure the wheel is centered and then use the T55 socket and wrench to loosen and remove the center nut. Do not remove the wheel yet. Ensure the steering column has a notch to show center; mine did. If yours doesn't, use a sharpy to mark center of column with the center notch in wheel... then remove the old wheel.

Step 5:
Place new RS wheel onto column with the notch on wheel perfectly aligned with the notch in the column. Then install harness inside wheel to column and install the center nut. Tighten to about 40lbs of torque.. or as tight as you can get it. Lol.

Step 6:
Install new RS airbag.. the RS airbag only has 2 harnesses that are clearly marked and can only match one of each of the two female ports on back of airbag module. Install those and align airbag and push into place; it will snap in. the airbag module has two little male pegs that fit into holes in center of wheel.. so it's very simple and idiot proof.

Step 7:
Reconnect battery and put cover back on; shut bonnet and you are done.

BEFORE:
See the stock GT3 wheel.. it's nice; but IMO, looks too much like standard 911 models... and too street looking and not track focused...

AFTER:
I love the new wheel; not only does it look better, IMO, but I like the smaller diameter for more precise and easier inputs and I like the shorter shifts. IMO, this is a must-do upgrade for any GT3 owner looking to use on track... for price and easy of install; it's totally worth it!

And here she is; all done and put to bed.. with her new wheel.

Last edited by Laguna_Dude; 02-07-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:50 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

thanks for that write up. nicely done!
Old 11-20-2015, 03:03 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Sweet! No errors or coding required? You're the first documented case (other than the one pic somebody posted a while back). Thanks for proving it can be done.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:10 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by signes
Sweet! No errors or coding required? You're the first documented case (other than the one pic somebody posted a while back). Thanks for proving it can be done.
Nope; turned it on; but didn't start it yet; but all worked fine with no error messages. I will confirm tomorrow after I drive to office. Thank you!

Quick Reply: RS wheel on GT3.. is lowest cost way to have RS...Haha