2015 GT3 Agate Grey with Mexico blue wrap

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 12:20 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Tweed
Martin,
How does the GT4 compare to your '15 GT3?
Thx,
TT
The GT4 feels more connected to the road and has better steering feel along with being more agile. I only did a handful of hot laps with the GT3 at Buttonwillow but going 7/10th I was 1 sec slower than I was with my .2RS on Hoosiers. The GT3 is super fast and almost like a video game, but the braking was a little better in the GT4 (maybe because it's a few hundred pounds lighter). The shifter/clutch in the GT4 is THE BEST I've ever driven, including the .2RS, and in sport mode I feel like a heel-toe expert with perfect rev matching. haha The GT4 is very quick while the GT3 is stupid fast.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:34 AM
P-Car777
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboDogue
Could you comment more on why the GT3 over GT4. I just got gt4 allocation and on list for gt3 also. Am thinking on passing for gt4, as I have a 07RS and 901 so have gears to row and more interested in 9000 rpm bespoke motor vs parts bin approach.

TurboDogue,

Keep in mind, I love the GT4, awesome car, but if I had to pick, the answer is easy...

The GT4 is a great car, best manual box I have ever driven (although gearing is way to long for street and reasonable on track), chassis is lovely/planted, although at extremes, car does under steer (even with front sway bar on full hard and rear on full soft setting). The engine is not a true GT engine, its a detuned/reworked 3.8 from the Carrera S. It sounds fantastic, but is not GT3 special.

On the other hand, the GT3 engine is phenomenal, the way it pulls and sounds, WOW, the first time I hit 9k it was like a religious experience. Gear ratios/PDK-S is out of this world. The car at extremes handles better than a GT4, and the RWS makes it feel much more nimble than a standard 911, maybe not as much as a mid engineed Cayman, but fantastic nonetheless.

Again maybe I am splitting hairs or being to critical, although I believe the differences are much more glaringly obvious on track, I think even for street use I would prefer the GT3.

Every time I hoped in the GT3, I felt like I was in bonafide race car you can drive on the street, every time I hoped in the GT4 I felt like this is a great street car that you can track.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:09 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Car777
...car does under steer (even with front sway bar on full hard and rear on full soft setting).
Just to prevent any confusion here, I think you have this backwards. Front bar at full hard and rear at full soft is a prescription for MORE understeer, not less. More compliance equals more grip at whichever end of the car you are adjusting. To dial out understeer, you want more compliance (softness) in the front and/or less in the rear, so the front bar should be set to full soft and the rear to full hard if you are trying to minimize understeer or maximize oversteer tendency.

As Martin suggests above, suspension adjustments should be done in steps to achieve the desired handling balance (which may vary by driver preference). First should be alignment (camber, caster, and toe), then optimizing tire pressures for maximum grip, then adjusting ARBs in increments--perhaps going full soft on the front first, then harder on the rear if necessary.
YMMV,
TT
Old 11-02-2015, 04:21 PM
P-Car777
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Tweed
Just to prevent any confusion here, I think you have this backwards. Front bar at full hard and rear at full soft is a prescription for MORE understeer, not less. More compliance equals more grip at whichever end of the car you are adjusting. To dial out understeer, you want more compliance (softness) in the front and/or less in the rear, so the front bar should be set to full soft and the rear to full hard if you are trying to minimize understeer or maximize oversteer.

As Martin suggests, suspension adjustments should be done in steps to achieve the desired balance (which may vary by driver preference). First should be alignment (camber, caster, and toe), then optimizing tire pressures for maximum grip and even temps/wear, then adjusting ARBs in increments--perhaps going full soft on the front first, then harder on the rear if necessary.
YMMV,
TT
Thanks Tom for the correction, that is what I meant to say (did not proof read before posting ). I did not alter alignment, I am sure this would have helped, but did run "hot pressures" of 30F/32R.

But, I definitely still feel GT3 is a much more special package!

Sorry to go to off topic!!
Old 11-02-2015, 04:51 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lodi
You're going to have to pack more carefully for the next smokies run!
Originally Posted by tasman
Yeah I know!

I think you mean his wife will have to..
Old 11-02-2015, 05:07 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I'm going to offer a different opinion here...duuh...
I think you'll enjoy the GT4 more,especially if most of your driving happens on the street.
Having driven the GT3,I can say people get to hung up on the marketing side of 9K and fast shifts. On the track...YEAH! Cool. On the street,you're at 120 quickly if you shift at 9K all the time. The thing is crazy fast!

Just my 2 c...
Old 11-02-2015, 05:09 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by meaker
I think you mean his wife will have to..

Very true

Last edited by tasman; 11-03-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:21 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

dde04cdf7b

Very true
I'm still in denial. Hoping to move on to the next phase of recovery - recognition in the next 90 days.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:53 AM
tasman
Race Car

Originally Posted by sgroer
I'm still in denial. Hoping to move on to the next phase of recovery - recognition in the next 90 days.
You guys crack me up. I'm not dead just trying a different Porsche flavor.

I will start the grieving process once my car is sold!
Old 11-03-2015, 08:58 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

Have over 20k miles in GT3 997 and 991GT3. Have a fair amount of recent seat time in buddies GT4. Actually found it uninspiring. Handling and shifter are great. Motor is less special than even Carrera S. Sure it sounds great but motor/gearing make car not very special in my opinion. I'd take my old 997 GT3 any day of the week over a GT4.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:54 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

You guys crack me up. I'm not dead just trying a different Porsche flavor. I will start the grieving process once my car is sold!
Now I know how you guys felt when i sold out and foolishly traded my first gt3. But at least I came back....
Old 11-03-2015, 11:58 AM
tasman
Race Car

Originally Posted by sgroer
Now I know how you guys felt when i sold out and foolishly traded my first gt3. But at least I came back....
It's weird isnt it. Ive had 2 GT3's now. I guess that means I've sold out twice

I am hoping I'll really like the 4. It is still a GT car!

At least it's not a BMW

I'll be surprised if Im not back in a year or two.

Maybe you guys will be speaking to me again by then.

Tal
Old 11-03-2015, 12:10 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Tal, I saw a group text from all the wives saying your wife is worried about how she going to get all her shoes to the smokies.. Might want to reconsider the small storage..

I hope you know I'm just messing with ya. Gt4 is a sweet looking car and could be perfect for you. And worse case you comeback with you tail between your legs, like Sean did
Old 11-03-2015, 12:14 PM
tasman
Race Car

Originally Posted by meaker
Tal, I saw a group text from all the wives saying your wife is worried about how she going to get all her shoes to the smokies.. Might want to reconsider the small storage..

I hope you know I'm just messing with ya. Gt4 is a sweet looking car and could be perfect for you. And worse case you comeback with you tail between your legs, like Sean did
Funny. I think she is going to make me stay home just so she has room for her shoes. We were just talking about this last nite. She did not realize no room behind seats. We decided one of us can have front storage and the other one the rear storage compartment. What this really means is I'll have a corner of one of the compartments!

I'm actually most worried about where to fit my helmet. Guess I can always just wear it.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:33 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Funny. I think she is going to make me stay home just so she has room for her shoes. We were just talking about this last nite. She did not realize no room behind seats. We decided one of us can have front storage and the other one the rear storage compartment. What this really means is I'll have a corner of one of the compartments!

I'm actually most worried about where to fit my helmet. Guess I can always just wear it.
Well you can wear your helmet and all your clothes at the same time. That will give her more space. Anything else, you can put in the door compartments.

Quick Reply: 2015 GT3 Agate Grey with Mexico blue wrap