Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IPE Exhaust, my review

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 04:07 PM
MoeGt3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heard the car in person many times. Not trying to hate, but you just loose that Porsche sound. I cant really explain it..you have to really hear it in person to understand, but it is not my cup of tea. At high rpm it has this really sharp pitch which is not Porsche at all. If you are going to go with the whole IPE system it is really loud. My preference would be a GMG centre section and you are good to go
Old 10-29-2015, 04:09 PM
TAGMotorsports
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 244 Likes on 159 Posts

Glad to see that IPE System finally found a nice home

web: www.TAGMotorsports.com - email: sales@tagmotorsports.com
Authorized Dealer For: HRE, Vossen, TechArt, AWE, Bilstien, KW, Akrapovic, Capristo, Fabspseed, BBI, Vorsteiner, Milltek, 1016 Industries, BBS, Brembo, GMG, H&R, Pirelli, Michelin, Hankook & more.

TechArt & AWE Tuning's #1 Volume Dealer Nationwide
Old 10-29-2015, 04:15 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I too love that it sets off car alarms !! too funny.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:16 PM
easy888
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeGt3
Heard the car in person many times. Not trying to hate, but you just loose that Porsche sound. I cant really explain it..you have to really hear it in person to understand, but it is not my cup of tea. At high rpm it has this really sharp pitch which is not Porsche at all. If you are going to go with the whole IPE system it is really loud. My preference would be a GMG centre section and you are good to go
Moe you are absolutely correct. You do lose a little of that Porsche characteristic sound. But for me personally I love it since it's what I was looking for. I have a 997TT with a Cargraphic system that really drives home Porsche's signature musical tone. So in my case, I guess I could say I have the best of both worlds.

If the sound is too loud, one can just add the stock headers and side mufflers back on and keep the IPE center exhaust. But I will not be doing so on mine.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:17 PM
easy888
Instructor

Originally Posted by TAGMotorsports
Thanks Alex. It was bound to at some point.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:28 PM
SMGT3
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Interest

Originally Posted by TAGMotorsports
You have any more slightly used IPE exhaust systems, just a center by pass?
Old 10-29-2015, 09:19 PM
TAGMotorsports
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 244 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by SMGT3
You have any more slightly used IPE exhaust systems, just a center by pass?
PM SENT!
Old 10-30-2015, 01:36 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 80 Posts

How much performance gain does it provide
Old 10-30-2015, 02:38 PM
easy888
Instructor

Originally Posted by tqevo
How much performance gain does it provide
According to IPE (their website) the gain is 12HP at the wheels.

I would say this sounds about right. The car does feel quicker (butt dyno), but I don't have any empirical dyno data to support the claim.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:35 PM
iapgt3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up! I just pulled the ipe system off my 997 GT3 only because I am doing a custom turbo build on it. I love the sound of the iPE on the GT3.

I am selling my used system if anyone is looking for another good deal.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:34 PM
easy888
Instructor

Originally Posted by iapgt3
Great write up! I just pulled the ipe system off my 997 GT3 only because I am doing a custom turbo build on it. I love the sound of the iPE on the GT3.

I am selling my used system if anyone is looking for another good deal.
Turbo kit on a GT3? Brave man.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:51 AM
hypeber
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Is ur ipe titanium one? Did u change the header too?
Originally Posted by easy888
Ok, so I'm sure I'll get some high brows on this one, but hear me out.

I'm not promoting any one brand and came into this totally unbiased.

As you may know I have poked around on the topic of IPE exhaust for the GT3 for a little while. It was probably one of the top 3 considerations among GMG and Akra. However I don't have anyone near me that has either of those setups to sample in person, so the best I had were YouTube videos. Yet the only system that sounded (to me anyways) dramatically different was the IPE. From the YouTube videos the Akra and GMG sounded pretty much like louder versions of our OEM exhaust, while the IPE system altered the sound a little more, towards an F1 pitch.

About 2 weeks ago, an opportunity came up and I was able to secure a used IPE system (headers, exhaust) at an extremely attractive price. Such to say that if I didn't like it I could easily offload it without taking a hit. So what's the harm?

Well the only thing bothering me was the dyno we've seen posted on the interweb from IPE themselves. I went as far as to ask them what that was all about. Their response was that they accidentally fiddled with the valves during the dyno and hence the dip. They admitted they know of this complaint and have said they'll try to get another dyno sheet up soon. I won't hold my breath, but the onus is on them.

So with that said, the price point this thing was offered to me was a no brainer.

Here's the install:

And here's a sound clip (only reached 5500~6K RPM in 3rd since this was public street):

Oct 27, 2015 - YouTube

So here are some things to note. The dip that's shown in the dyno isn't there. I was paying careful attention to the RPM range between 3K~4K and noticed absolutely nothing that hindered or negatively altered the performance. If anything it felt like the car opened up more and revs a little quicker throughout the entire range.

At first I thought the sound was loud, but I think we all get used to it at some point and I've reached it. I don't track so the loudness isn't an issue for me. If anything I set out to look for a system that would help add a little more emotion to the drive, much like how everyone says part of the allure of the passion of Ferrari's are the sounds those cars make. Granted if this thing had any power loss or made the car drive worse than stock, I would have pulled this thing right off. I can with confidence say that I love the setup and will be keeping it on.

I'd also want to address the quality of the system. I looked it over and couldn't find anything that raised any flags. Sure its not made of titanium but it's still nicely constructed. Put it this way, you couldn't say this thing was worse than a Capristo system which I had on my 360 back in the day. If you didn't know it was an IPE product, you may even be more accepting of it (that is if you had something against the brand to begin with). Install went well and took about 2 hours.

The sound? Well unless you hear it in person you really can't get the full effect. It does have a higher F1 pitch sound akin to a Ferrari. And it's not like the synthetic Ferrari high pitch sound like the complaints have been on the 458, but more of a raw organic pitch like the Stradale and 355. It's already gotten a lot of thumbs up. I have an S-Line exhaust on my Scud and quite honestly I'd say the IPE system sound just as loud/pitched if not even a little more.

Anyway, wanted to share with the community.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:23 PM
easy888
Instructor

Originally Posted by hypeber
Is ur ipe titanium one? Did u change the header too?
No it's not the titanium unit. And I know it isn't accurate to gauge the sound of an exhaust through YouTube, but from the video's I've seen and heard, I didn't like the sound of the titanium units.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:44 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

We absolutely love the iPE exhaust for the GT3/RS and our customers cannot stop raving about it. Kudos on the sweet deal you got for it. Enjoy in good health!

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...

Quick Reply: IPE Exhaust, my review