Sponsored by:

Porsche Experience Center - Atlanta: GT3 vs. Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 01:11 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Porsche Experience Center - Atlanta: GT3 vs. Turbo

My Buddy and I hit the experience center today before a flight to Denver to do the GT3 vs. Turbo experience. I've been meaning to go over there and an early afternoon flight was perfect - we got there at 9:30 and moseyed around looking at the cars and other stuff before our session at 11.

The experience lasts about 90 minutes and you are in the car the entire time. I was in the GT3 first, then switched to the turbo. We started on the track doing laps at increasing intensity. The track is pretty scary due to there being zero runoff - it's basically lined with metal barriers, just 2 feet from the edge of the track. My instructor, Patrick, said only two incidents thus far which I was very surprised at. The track is moderately fun - a couple of straight sections and then an extremely tight series of turns. I think I hit 105 MPH, they let you drive the cars as you please - of course there is some very amateur traffic in caymans, boxsters, etc. Overall I enjoyed the track for what it is. The Turbo pushes in turns much more than the GT3 but the thrust is awesome. I was actually super impressed with the turbo - haven't had a chance to wring one out like that before. Very fast, predictable and stable in the curves due to the AWD. of course, GT3 is more fun, but I don't think i was any slower in the turbo - just two different ways to do a lap in the same amount of time.

We did the kickplate next - where you drive over a circle at 20-30 MPH - it randomly kicks the back end of your car around when you drive over it and you are on a wet epoxy surface. I immediately spun the GT3 on the first try - the instructor had turned off all of the electronics. I went through it 8 times or so and saved the car every time after the first. Wonderful experience learning to save a GT3 in a slide without the help of nannies. At the end of the course, you can see your entrance speed, with the goal being to save a car at faster speed than before. I did this in the Turbo and learned that applying AWD power in a slide with the turbo will help you out. I saved the turbo at 32 MPH with all electronics off, much faster than what I was able to do in the GT3. Really enlightening and interesting to see the difference in AWD vs. RWD.

Next was the low friction circle - a wet, polished concrete circle that is extremely slippery - the GT3 is a handful on this course - learning to drift it around the circle was very difficult - increasing speed to invoke the slide and then feathering the throttle to keep it drifting around the circle. The turbo was a BLAST in this section, allowing you to go to almost full throttle to use the AWD to straighten the car and drift around the circle. I was finally able to complete a drift of a full 360 degree lap around the circle in the turbo. By the end of the lap, I was almost sliding backwards. It was really fun.

There is also a launch control and slalom section where the GT3 owns the turbo in slalom. I had never launched a turbo before and screamed an obscenity out loud when I let her rip. I was just blown away at how fast the turbo gets to 60. We had the G-meter on and I was able to pull 1.3 G's accelerating and 1.34 stopping.

Overall, as you would expect, the GT3 is a track focused monster that does the technical things very well. In the wet weather simulations, the turbo is king - unbelievable how the car can handle adverse conditions, and doing an AWD drift was totally awesome.

I was thrilled with the experience - so much fun and highly recommend it. I learned a lot about my GT3 and gained newfound respect for the turbo indeed.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:57 AM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 592 Likes on 259 Posts

Great to hear 1st hand experience, the wife is planning the birmingham trip for us as she want to do the school, shes a keeper.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:11 AM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the review. Looking forward to doing the same course at the so cal center when it opens next year.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:09 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for the write up; I enjoyed your observations. The GT3 thank you event was held at the Experience Center last May and I think everyone enjoyed driving the different cars back to back. Probably a biased group for that event but I think that while the Turbo commanded healthy respect, we almost all preferred the GT3.

Just to add, I did the Masters course at PSDS a month ago and had a chance to do open lapping back to back in both the Turbo S and GT3. As you point out, the Turbo has amazing acceleration but I think we all felt we were faster around Barber in the GT3 as the Turbo's weight works against it under braking and in the corners. The GT3 surprisingly held it's own in a straight line at Barber against the TTS; maybe on a track with longer straights things would even out a bit. Regardless, they are both very impressive.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:26 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great write up Sean. Sounds like great fun. We have a kick plate here in the UAE, and the key with it is to be completely off the gas going into it. Great job man

Here is a video of me with a similar experience:

Old 10-21-2015, 01:12 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

thanks for a good review.

in the 997 series, I will always buy a GT3 over any turbo. I'm not too sure with the 991 series, as the turbo seems just as good on track, plus it has more daily utility features.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:45 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 93 Posts

Great detailed review. Thanks for sharing your experience
Old 10-21-2015, 02:25 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

One other interesting item...
The turbo they have there has been launched well over 2000 times and it's still running without a hitch. That was mind boggling to me.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:30 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 516 Posts

What I took home from this was: if you want the ultimate 911 get a GT3...and a Turbo.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:35 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 678 Likes on 372 Posts

Glad to hear the Turbo hung tough.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:39 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. G
What I took home from this was: if you want the ultimate 911 get a GT3...and a Turbo.
They are sufficiently different to justify both. They do things totally differently but you can still feel the DNA in them.

Still prefer the GT3 but again... Fascinating experience.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:15 PM
green
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review! I had the exact same impression you described, and while preferring the GT3 came out blown away by the turbo (I didn't expect to).
Old 10-21-2015, 09:55 PM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Nice detailed review of experience. Anytime you can learn how to control the car Ina relatively age and controlled environment is a good thing. Have to believe it makes us better drivers; prepared. Look forward to doing someday.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:00 AM
79 911SC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was also there yesterday but just to look around and drive the simulator. Pm me your email, I took video on my phone and will email it to you. It was probably you.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:51 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Great write up! I will be going through Atlanta in February and plan on taking this course if it's available/offered. Can't wait!

Quick Reply: Porsche Experience Center - Atlanta: GT3 vs. Turbo