Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions wanted...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 05:35 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never trade in a newer model for an older one. No way.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:57 PM
kkabba
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
I never trade in a newer model for an older one. No way.
Not even if it was a 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0 irrespective of its superior market value? C'mon now! 😉
Old 10-20-2015, 06:04 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kkabba
Not even if it was a 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0 irrespective of its superior market value? C'mon now! 😉
To be frank, I buy cars only to drive the hell out off them and not keep as museum pieces which most of those models have been. Superior market value only because numbers limited artificially. As far as investment goes, I have a pain in the *** business in which I could get a better return.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:19 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Elitism.

Some of prefer a great track car that looks good driving other places besides a track. And the 911 GT3 will smoke the 997 RS on any track.
I just didn't connect with my 991 3 - I would even take a lightened 964 C2 over it. I'm OK not winning the DE events if I'm having a ton of fun...
Old 10-20-2015, 06:52 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

If the 991 is out of warranty, then I would take a 997.1 GT3 RS, because it's easier to fix and I can rebuild the transmission and engine. 991 GT3 longevity is a big unknown and I have a feeling they are not going to be extremely reliable in the long run. 997.2 RS blow up too. 996 is the best GT3 ever produced in terms of reliability, but that car is dated and interior ergonomics for me aren't the best.

BUT. Given that circumstance, I would take a new 991.2 or 992(?) over all of them.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:26 PM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbwell

From a driving perspective, I haven't spent a lot of time in a 991 but I can tell you that the 997RS is much less refined. It's a rough, stiff ride. It's noisy in a great way- the clank of the LWFW, minimal sound deadening and the exhaust note is great. You feel like you're driving a race car on the street. My .02.
THIS! the 997 RS is a raw noisy and abrupt car, all in a good way. I have to think the 991 3 is more refined (i have not driven a 991 3, but am using the parallel of a 997 gts v 991 gts). If you're planning on driving the car semi regularly on the road, stick with the 991 3, if your looking for a racy feeling track car, or are just looking... then maybe the 7 RS
Old 10-20-2015, 07:38 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by SJJ28
THIS! the 997 RS is a raw noisy and abrupt car, all in a good way. I have to think the 991 3 is more refined (i have not driven a 991 3, but am using the parallel of a 997 gts v 991 gts). If you're planning on driving the car semi regularly on the road, stick with the 991 3, if your looking for a racy feeling track car, or are just looking... then maybe the 7 RS
True. However, the top end hit of the 991 is not to be compared to anything on the road now except the new RS. It's intoxicating and some of that LWF rattle and cammy feel is still there but to a lesser extent..
Old 10-20-2015, 07:56 PM
John Elliot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:09 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
me
me too
Old 10-20-2015, 10:54 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by SJJ28
That is probably a great way of summarizing things. The 991 GT3 is a great car but it's a bit numb compared to the 997 GT3RS...not as engaging and emotion inspiring either. I could totally daily drive the GT3 if I worked closer to home, no way would I do that with the RS. Every time I drive my RS I get this warm toasty feeling deep down inside and feel like a kid in a candy store. I'm very fortunate that I have both cars but I'd keep the RS if I had to pick between the two.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:09 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Nope.

I got all excited for a moment because I thought you meant 991 GT3 RS! Yes, that's the trade I want to make.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:29 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Scarcity, value and aesthetics are totally unrelated to the visceral cues or usefulness that each driver has different tolerances for.

In regards to the new 991GT3/ RS it is a much more approachable car on road and track. I've driven and/or been on track in every gt3 in the last 10 years.

They are all different. What is the "best one" out of them all? Eye of the beholder. I will say that while I was impressed by the new RS and impressed on track by new GT3, the pdk-s is not impressive enough for me to spend equal money on the newer car. I recently sold my 3.8RS to acquire a 4.0RS. I could have easily pocketed a lot of money and bought the new GT3 but I decided against it. Partially because I think the six speed is a known quantity and for me the manual transmission will continue to age gracefully. Try driving an 430 f1 trans and it feels like crap compared to the new one. The 458 will feel like a lame car ten years from now for the same reason.

With porsches- especially the RS cars- the RS America feels just as fun and the 996/997 GT3 feels exactly the same as it did when new. Might be slower but your shift references are the same...

These are not race cars- hell a 997GT3 cup can be had for 50% of the original price all day. That is a real race car and if this is just about going fast on track...go get one.

The street GT3 and RS are about more than just speed to me. It's an aesthetic, an emotionally motivated decision, a smell (like the aircooled cars) and the hipsterism of knowing your little six speed car is a safe investment.

If I had unlimited funds I would buy every last manual trans GT3 I could scoop and drive a different one every day. They all need exercise but to me the new car is so damn easy it's a little too unemotional. I want that raw stupid bolt action shifter. My smile is bigger that way.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:59 AM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
The 991 GT3 is a great car but it's a bit numb compared to the 997 GT3RS...not as engaging and emotion inspiring either. I could totally daily drive the GT3 if I worked closer to home, no way would I do that with the RS. Every time I drive my RS I get this warm toasty feeling deep down inside and feel like a kid in a candy store. I'm very fortunate that I have both cars but I'd keep the RS if I had to pick between the two.
Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
The street GT3 and RS are about more than just speed to me. It's an aesthetic, an emotionally motivated decision, a smell (like the aircooled cars) and the hipsterism of knowing your little six speed car is a safe investment.

They all need exercise but to me the new car is so damn easy it's a little too unemotional. I want that raw stupid bolt action shifter. My smile is bigger that way.
All the above sums it up for me. 997RS over 991 GT3.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:17 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Scarcity, value and aesthetics are totally unrelated to the visceral cues or usefulness that each driver has different tolerances for.

In regards to the new 991GT3/ RS it is a much more approachable car on road and track. I've driven and/or been on track in every gt3 in the last 10 years.

They are all different. What is the "best one" out of them all? Eye of the beholder. I will say that while I was impressed by the new RS and impressed on track by new GT3, the pdk-s is not impressive enough for me to spend equal money on the newer car. I recently sold my 3.8RS to acquire a 4.0RS. I could have easily pocketed a lot of money and bought the new GT3 but I decided against it. Partially because I think the six speed is a known quantity and for me the manual transmission will continue to age gracefully. Try driving an 430 f1 trans and it feels like crap compared to the new one. The 458 will feel like a lame car ten years from now for the same reason.

With porsches- especially the RS cars- the RS America feels just as fun and the 996/997 GT3 feels exactly the same as it did when new. Might be slower but your shift references are the same...

These are not race cars- hell a 997GT3 cup can be had for 50% of the original price all day. That is a real race car and if this is just about going fast on track...go get one.

If I had unlimited funds I would buy every last manual trans GT3 I could scoop and drive a different one every day. They all need exercise but to me the new car is so damn easy it's a little too unemotional. I want that raw stupid bolt action shifter. My smile is bigger that way.
Mods: lock the thread. We're done here.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:56 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Got both, keeping both. I just registered my RS for the street, off since 2009. I doubt I will street drive it a whole lot because of its alignment, but it will see a wee bit of road use in the off season before the snow comes. It for sure will lag behind a GT3 on a track but it easily bit*h slaps them at autocross. A bit over 8000 miles on it since new. Real reason I got the GT3 was I missed having a Porsche for the road, same reason for the GT4. GT3 and GT4 will NOT get competition alignment but for sure, cannot have them purely as garage queens. I prefer a stick for the road and so does the wife.

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted...