Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

picture of your garage

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 07:08 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Agree. I don't think I will ever do epoxy again.
The following users liked this post:
antwon412 (06-17-2021)
Old 01-30-2019, 07:15 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by vodavoda
Agree. I don't think I will ever do epoxy again.
Curious, Why would you not do epoxy again? I have done it in 2 garages and it worked out well. I am working on a new garage now however. What are the issues you had with epoxy and is there something better? I live in Chicago. We get a lot of snow and salt. Curious if the polished concrete is as durable or slip resistant.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:26 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

Put down ADA slip resistant commercial porcelain tile and don’t worry.

Have tried it all, it’s the best option. Works great with snow/salt.

My garage is covered in crap right now because of this weather.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:53 PM
BlueGT3
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 52 Posts

My girls
Old 01-30-2019, 10:43 PM
GT4 981
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

Beautiful garage and looks like very high quality and well thought out. The OCD in me can't stop looking at that TV set up. A flat panel TV mounted on the wood wall with some nice Porsche art on either side and you'd have yourself something special!

Old 01-30-2019, 10:43 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
Photos from ~June '18...
Thanks to Mooty and osu s2K...Built a little 4,500sq. ft. shop, with an addition going on the N. side this summer so that I can park my latest hobby: Peterbilt 379. I don't like new Porsches so I am getting into big trucks.
Poured 6-8" last winter CO cold, erected tent over 4,500 ft shop, heated under water for 30 days...Slab is cut in sections, but then filled with something special that is "soft" and malleable (sp?) but the stuff bonds to it like concrete. Polished the floor and Industrial urethaned it multiple times 4? or 6? cannot remember. heated under concrete on one side only where I work in the shop. you cannot see the sections in the floor.

I had a business with 500,000 sq. ft shop 10 years ago and I will never-ever do epoxy again.

this approaches diety status! Congrats and outstanding collection!
Old 01-30-2019, 10:54 PM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Default tight space :(

Old 02-01-2019, 12:11 AM
RexColtrain
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just realized you're the 1/1 owner of my 1/43 Irish Green GT3! How did that deal come about?
Old 02-01-2019, 11:21 AM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by alevine
Curious, Why would you not do epoxy again? I have done it in 2 garages and it worked out well. I am working on a new garage now however. What are the issues you had with epoxy and is there something better? I live in Chicago. We get a lot of snow and salt. Curious if the polished concrete is as durable or slip resistant.
I have four garages in epoxy right now. My experience has been it looks great initially, but you have to put too much effort into it to keep it looking good. A lot depends on color. I did three of the garages in a neutral gray and the fourth in metallic (pic below) which looks really cool when its clean. When it chips, it either looks cool (patina) or it looks like the floor needs to be refinished. In my new garage I'm going with diamond polishing. Plus, I'm going for an industrial look with the new garage (I-beams, exposed conduit, etc.) so the diamond polish works well. Wanting lower maintenance and more of "working" garage, not a showroom vibe.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:30 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

I have four garages in epoxy right now. My experience has been it looks great initially, but you have to put too much effort into it to keep it looking good. A lot depends on color. I did three of the garages in a neutral gray and the fourth in metallic (pic below) which looks really cool when its clean. When it chips, it either looks cool (patina) or it looks like the floor needs to be refinished. In my new garage I'm going with diamond polishing. Plus, I'm going for an industrial look with the new garage (I-beams, exposed conduit, etc.) so the diamond polish works well. Wanting lower maintenance and more of "working" garage, not a showroom vibe.
I've built a lot of airplane hangars over the years and we have tried almost everything. The most durable lasting product is still porcelain tile. Tough as nails and easy to clean. If it ever does break, you can replace the piece pretty easily. It's more money than epoxy, but not a whole lot more. Maybe $1-2 per sq ft.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:20 PM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 138 Posts

That should look great. Please share some pics when complete.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:23 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Interesting. I just re-did my tiny garage flooring in metallic grey epoxy like the pic above which has turned out great. My sub recommended it for the first time to save some $ against doing an entire repour/refinish of the old concrete, but it's only a couple months old and was not made aware of the issues you've encountered. Wonder if weather/cooler garage temps might have anything to do with the epoxy chipping and becoming brittle or just a function of age
Old 02-01-2019, 01:25 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Regarding floor finishes, I seem to remember some posts on this thread by mooty saying that diamond polished and urethane was dangerously slippery when it gets wet. I love the way it looks, but don't want to kill anyone (especially myself)! What have you guys experienced?
Old 02-01-2019, 02:41 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

My garage is slowly coming along. Wish I could make it bigger! Stupid HOA
Old 02-01-2019, 03:18 PM
dfoster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you do any relief cuts in your concrete?
Yes. The day we poured this slab, we used a soft cut saw and cut in joints. 1/8” thickness of relief per 1” of concrete. It’s also important to try cutting in joints to control where it cracks. Keep in mind concrete is always curing and it unfortunately always cracks. Make quandrants of 150 sf increments

Quick Reply: picture of your garage