Sponsored by:

picture of your garage

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 02:04 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

@ Manifold
Not sure where you're located but check out bonestructure.ca
They are located in greater Montreal. They do some really amazing designs, all out of steel. I have hired them to design my house and can't say enough great things about this company! GL
Old 01-11-2016, 03:29 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

We are looking at building a new garage. Loads of inspiration on this thread! I came across what's pictured below, locally and it struck me as pretty cool. We are trying to think how best it might be worked into the garage / storage space. Ideas? Anyone else want it if we don't use it? Don't ask me what it weighs: we haven't got that far yet. More than a GT3 would be my guess!

Old 01-11-2016, 03:56 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

^lol, looks like the blast door at NORAD. Somebody must have had quite a lot of goodies laying around to justify building that. You should give the manufacturer a ring and see if can be moved. My guess is cost prohibitive.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:30 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Panic Room definitely struck us! It's just an old bank vault. You really only need the door, frame, ventilator. You mount the bits into a concrete box or breeze block depending how serious you are. I am guessing $2-4K to remove and get to our place.

Originally Posted by signes
^lol, looks like the blast door at NORAD. Somebody must have had quite a lot of goodies laying around to justify building that. You should give the manufacturer a ring and see if can be moved. My guess is cost prohibitive.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:22 PM
ThatDaveDude
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Wife and I have thought of building a custom home, since we can't seem to find anything that fits our needs (lots of garage space relative to living space). We've considered doing a three-level home, where the whole first level is garage. Keeps the footprint down while giving us the space allocation we need. Anyone ever seen anything like that?
Just curious, why have it underneath? Are you "footprint limited" because the lots in your area are smallish? If you have half an acre or more, it's pretty easy to fit a 5000 sf home plus a 3000 sf garage. I built mine as a separate unit away from the one-story house, but it could just as easily have been attached. The third photo from construction shows you where the garage is located down the hill from the house on the far side of the pool (4th photo). Far enough for man-stuff and loud cars that won't disturb the rest of the family in the house.

Last edited by ThatDaveDude; 01-11-2016 at 08:35 PM. Reason: add photos
Old 01-11-2016, 08:28 PM
ThatDaveDude
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Country911
Hey Guys:
slightly OT, but starting construction of new home in April. I like the look of the polished concrete floor (garage) but doesn't that make it like glass, super slippery, if it gets wet or if some oil gets on the floor? I'd be interested to hear comments.
If you don't go with the polished look, it can still have a shine but have texture. My epoxy and paint-flake floor has a shine to it without being slippery. But of course, it doesn't have that cool mirror finish.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:07 AM
Matt-R20
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ThatDaveDude
Just curious, why have it underneath? Are you "footprint limited" because the lots in your area are smallish? If you have half an acre or more, it's pretty easy to fit a 5000 sf home plus a 3000 sf garage. I built mine as a separate unit away from the one-story house, but it could just as easily have been attached. The third photo from construction shows you where the garage is located down the hill from the house on the far side of the pool (4th photo). Far enough for man-stuff and loud cars that won't disturb the rest of the family in the house.
Very nice!
Old 01-12-2016, 07:49 AM
tmario
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Banango
Panic Room definitely struck us! It's just an old bank vault. You really only need the door, frame, ventilator. You mount the bits into a concrete box or breeze block depending how serious you are. I am guessing $2-4K to remove and get to our place.

Wine cellar door. More frequent use than panic room...I would certainly hope. Even better if you make it with glass walls and put it on your first floor. then you see the cool details more. Just my thought!

Mario
Old 01-12-2016, 11:21 AM
UAEGT3
Racer

cool pics
Old 01-12-2016, 02:39 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tmario
Wine cellar door. More frequent use than panic room...I would certainly hope. Even better if you make it with glass walls and put it on your first floor. then you see the cool details more. Just my thought!

Mario
LOL - if it was a wine cellar I'd use it lock myself in rather than keep others out!!
Old 01-12-2016, 05:15 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Waiting to discuss the safe door with architect. I think it is really more decorative than functional for us, but deserves more thought. Wine cellar in garage sounds good but dangerous! Add a big TV and I might never leave. Have to thank all for the marvelous info on lifts and cabinets in this and other threads.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:08 PM
MrNurse
Pro

Originally Posted by GianiCakes
Not all mine sadly but my Scud (under cover) has some nice bed fellows
Yes please...Lotto this Wednesday..
Old 01-14-2016, 05:17 PM
MichaelBollinger
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going downstairs to start cleaning out my garage RIGHT NOW.

Thanks for the motivation!
Old 01-14-2016, 06:36 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

This is a great Thread.....
Here's a couple Pics.
1. OLD house Garage. (w/ the lift.)
2. New House w/o the lift... But it is a larger garage and has a great Security System.
3. My Warehouse where the Real Toys Stay.
Attached Images    
Old 01-14-2016, 07:00 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 212 Posts

nice garage, nice toys, and I love the security system. My Boxer/Pit mix, rescue is a super watch dog and great with kids.

I'm finalizing the cabinet design on my less than impressive garage now and hope to start the garage makeover sometime in February.

Quick Reply: picture of your garage