Sponsored by:

picture of your garage

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 07:20 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by dfoster
I've been following this thread for quit a while. I must say allot of folks on here have some amazing cars & amazing garage space. The creativity has truly inspired me. The Rennlist site has provided hours of learning & reading enjoyment for me.
After a long journey, I'm happy to report I finally took delivery of my GT3RS yesterday. I was sadly one of the victims related to the Shiraaz/Champion Porsche fall out but I must admit, they stepped up and made things right for me. In conclusion to that chapter, I'm glad its over and I'm happy with the outcome. I hope all of the other victims have the same conclusion to report.
So to come full circle with this story, early 2018, I finally broke down and decided to build a new garage for my car to be delivered late 2018, early 2019. Design started in March, 2018, construction began around the middle of June, 2018. I had photos and pic's of things I had collected for years, of which I wanted to somehow incorporate into my space. Yard was an obstacle and compromise had to be made on size. I ultimately decided on a 38'x29' space. I'm subsequently a commercial contractor so allot of thought was put into operating cost, longevity and obviously my taste for appearance. Foundations were probably an over kill but I wanted to make sure things set on a solid footing. Walls were constructed with 2x6 studs @ 16" centers. Front wall was constructed with 2x10 due to the clearstory ribbon window setting directly over the garage doors, hence I wanted to distribute the load to (3) 18" LVL's per door opening. Walls, Floors (elevated desk) & roof framing all have closed cell foam insulation, 5/8" gyp board. Concrete slab is 8" thick reinforced with WWF & fiber. No cracking what's so ever. I highly recommend fiber for those on the fence about it. Floor has been polished and stained to a natural grey concrete finish. Hot water is provided by a tank less hot water unit in a mechanical room below, A little natural stone accent on the exterior, slate roofing, copper gutters, board & batt siding (very affordable) with translucent stain and an exposed concrete driveway.
I'm pleased with the outcome and happy to finally share with the Rennlist community.
Spectacular garage.
My favorite part - You have one chair and a dog bed sitting there, What else does a man need in his space but one chair and mans best friend!! haha
Old 01-27-2019, 12:56 AM
dfoster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by morjo02
This garage is insane !! Just Amazing... Enjoy and when I retire I planned to build a nice garage. I have a GT4 and Shelby GT350R. Looking to add a McLaren 600LT or 720S.... wish me luck :-)
sounds like you have a fabulous car collection. Please share and good luck.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:57 AM
dfoster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Spectacular garage.
My favorite part - You have one chair and a dog bed sitting there, What else does a man need in his space but one chair and mans best friend!! haha
Agreed. Thank you
Old 01-27-2019, 12:58 AM
dfoster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 007DT
Wow. What a great space! Obviously well thought out. The floor looks fantastic.
Congrats on the new RS. Love the color combo!
thank you
Old 01-27-2019, 01:03 AM
dfoster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cashed

Mine has changed a lot this week. I don't know how the garages above keep the floors so clean!! Unreal
I love the back wall & your roof framing. Do you still have all 3 cars? Sweet for sure.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:27 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by jkfuel
Has anyone paid to have their garage ceilings raised to accomodate for the lifts? If so, was it a "big" ordeal?
I did it....It was not a huge ordeal but not a small one either. There is a lot of structural things that have to be thought out. For a good contractor it is easy. I raised it 3 ft and also had to do garage door rail adjustments. That was one piece of the puzzle....

I will say this....measure once, twice, 3 times and more if things are tight....my project worked off of inches and came out perfect. The biggest measurement was taking into consideration a car on the lift (backed up). A car underneath and the garage door being able to be opened so it does not hit the car on top....seems like a trivial concept but far from it
Old 01-27-2019, 02:46 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

I’ve raised the rails and it was not a big deal. Raising the ceiling is a whole another project. Raising rails cost me like 500 bucks for two single bat garage doors.

if you are raising the ceiling, one thing to consider- just do a pocket where the roof of the car is. Much smaller project and I would think easier than raising the whole roof. You just space for the roof of the car to go up.

Good luck.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:41 PM
msimon9
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Work in progress

I recently sold my warehouse in order to have all of my “stuff” in one place. I decided a barn on the property is my best bet. Here is the most recent pics. Trusses went up Friday. Won’t be done til April but should be incredible when it’s completed. Going to have 7 garage doors and be all cedar inside and out. Fully Air conditioned and heated and will have a nice loft. Can’t wait! 50x90.

The following users liked this post:
WestBank (06-29-2023)
Old 01-28-2019, 09:51 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

Not big enough.....
Old 01-28-2019, 11:37 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by msimon9
I recently sold my warehouse in order to have all of my “stuff” in one place. I decided a barn on the property is my best bet. Here is the most recent pics. Trusses went up Friday. Won’t be done til April but should be incredible when it’s completed. Going to have 7 garage doors and be all cedar inside and out. Fully Air conditioned and heated and will have a nice loft. Can’t wait! 50x90.

Wow. Always amazed at what folks in the US have for garages. Start a thread!! Would like to follow along.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:37 AM
b46
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by msimon9

What a fantastic project! Please provide updates as you go along.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:39 AM
b46
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dfoster
I've been following this thread for quit a while. I must say allot of folks on here have some amazing cars & amazing garage space. The creativity has truly inspired me. The Rennlist site has provided hours of learning & reading enjoyment for me.
After a long journey, I'm happy to report I finally took delivery of my GT3RS yesterday. I was sadly one of the victims related to the Shiraaz/Champion Porsche fall out but I must admit, they stepped up and made things right for me. In conclusion to that chapter, I'm glad its over and I'm happy with the outcome. I hope all of the other victims have the same conclusion to report.
So to come full circle with this story, early 2018, I finally broke down and decided to build a new garage for my car to be delivered late 2018, early 2019. Design started in March, 2018, construction began around the middle of June, 2018. I had photos and pic's of things I had collected for years, of which I wanted to somehow incorporate into my space. Yard was an obstacle and compromise had to be made on size. I ultimately decided on a 38'x29' space. I'm subsequently a commercial contractor so allot of thought was put into operating cost, longevity and obviously my taste for appearance. Foundations were probably an over kill but I wanted to make sure things set on a solid footing. Walls were constructed with 2x6 studs @ 16" centers. Front wall was constructed with 2x10 due to the clearstory ribbon window setting directly over the garage doors, hence I wanted to distribute the load to (3) 18" LVL's per door opening. Walls, Floors (elevated desk) & roof framing all have closed cell foam insulation, 5/8" gyp board. Concrete slab is 8" thick reinforced with WWF & fiber. No cracking what's so ever. I highly recommend fiber for those on the fence about it. Floor has been polished and stained to a natural grey concrete finish. Hot water is provided by a tank less hot water unit in a mechanical room below, A little natural stone accent on the exterior, slate roofing, copper gutters, board & batt siding (very affordable) with translucent stain and an exposed concrete driveway.
I'm pleased with the outcome and happy to finally share with the Rennlist community.

What a beautiful project! Can you post some more pics of the details? Love this one!
Old 01-29-2019, 11:57 AM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

OK guys, these aren't the latest pics (roof and walls done; will update photos soon). 45 X 70, 20 foot ceiling ht., with large mezzanine. Going with in-floor radiant heat. So 2-inches of insulation with a 5-inch pour. Going to diamond polish. Planning on 3/4 inch relief cuts in the concrete, but undecided if I want to fill the cuts with epoxy. Thoughts?
Old 01-29-2019, 12:00 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

delete
Old 01-29-2019, 12:38 PM
cashed
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Last week I sold the BLK WP RS for the Red RS. The 964 Turbo is for sale as well.

Quick Reply: picture of your garage