Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

McLaren's in the shop again. LOL.

JK - great collection Bruce P !
Old 08-31-2018, 10:21 AM
Macduc
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Raven 666
You can get insulation panels that install on tilt panel garage doors ,,we use it here in Australia..The decorative finished panels cost a fortune currently because its a new product but the plain styrofoam panels unfinished in the image below a not to costly and it does cut the heat soak through the door down greatly ..On a 40 c summers day down under the doors are that hot you don,t want to touch them ,,this stuff comes in different thickness and sizes generally 30mm thick is the most common and really helps cut temps down in the garage area ..

I didn’t realise that this was available in Australia. Do you know the best place to get these panels. I have a panel lift door and lining the inside would finish off my space great.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:29 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by gago1101

Added these the other day. Need some music when working on my 87’ supra or changing oil on the gt3.
Nice cabinets! Are those Craftsman? Lowes in Canada has started carrying Craftsman products.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:00 AM
Bruce P
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
Bruce,

is your garage climate controlled? We built our house a few years back and I wanted to insulate and climate control the garage to avoid the heat in sunny Arizona in the summers. However my builder talked me out of it as he stated that the garage doors are poor at insulation and it will be very wasteful on the energy.

How did you get around that? If at all? Special garage doors or not needed where you live?

Appreciate the input. Im so tempted to build another house and move and have a proper garage!
There are 3 rooftop units that are refrigerated cooling and gas heat. The only windows are the windows in the garage doors which face north. I insulated it well and used a light colored TPO roof material to help with the heat. I leave the A/C off unless I am going to be working in the garage or have buddys over. This last week it has been in the 90's here and when I got home last night the garage was at 78 degrees and the A/C has been off for about a week. Nothing special about garage doors -- just standard insulating panels on the inside. I am a builder and have done many garages with climate control no problem.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:03 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

Those red and black cabinets are made by newage. Can buy them through Costco. I have the same ones in my airplane hangar.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:08 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gago1101

Added these the other day. Need some music when working on my 87’ supra or changing oil on the gt3.

B&W?
Old 08-31-2018, 12:32 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce P
There are 3 rooftop units that are refrigerated cooling and gas heat. The only windows are the windows in the garage doors which face north. I insulated it well and used a light colored TPO roof material to help with the heat. I leave the A/C off unless I am going to be working in the garage or have buddys over. This last week it has been in the 90's here and when I got home last night the garage was at 78 degrees and the A/C has been off for about a week. Nothing special about garage doors -- just standard insulating panels on the inside. I am a builder and have done many garages with climate control no problem.
TY.

must.....resist......the urge........to build..........
Old 08-31-2018, 12:32 PM
crbiker
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
Bruce,

is your garage climate controlled? We built our house a few years back and I wanted to insulate and climate control the garage to avoid the heat in sunny Arizona in the summers. However my builder talked me out of it as he stated that the garage doors are poor at insulation and it will be very wasteful on the energy.

How did you get around that? If at all? Special garage doors or not needed where you live?

Appreciate the input. Im so tempted to build another house and move and have a proper garage!
We built our current home in the Phoenix area 18 months ago. I told our builder (Toll Bros) that I wanted a insulated and central ac'd garage and they agreed to it. Our home and garage has the newer spray foam insulation up in the rafters under the roof sheeting and it performs very well. Our attic is never more that 6-7 degrees F warmer than the house in the summer and the house and garage are easier to cool and more consistent temps because of it. Our garage is a modest approx. 1000 sq ft, deep tandem, with a regular insulated garage door. The builder made sure that the garage door company had one of their better installers hang it and it fits very tight and seals very well. Our central ac unit in the garage is rated for a 1400 sq ft home and it cools the garage perfectly. I keep the thermostat on 78-79 degrees and turn it down to 74 when I want to work in the garage. Hope this helps.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:19 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
Nice cabinets! Are those Craftsman? Lowes in Canada has started carrying Craftsman products.
Not Craftsman. Got these for a really good deal from Costco. Not even sure what brand they are.

Originally Posted by zirrah
B&W?
Yes, the old CM1s
Old 09-01-2018, 08:01 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,744 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Mind blown. Again ...
Old 09-01-2018, 08:03 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by crbiker
We built our current home in the Phoenix area 18 months ago. I told our builder (Toll Bros) that I wanted a insulated and central ac'd garage and they agreed to it. Our home and garage has the newer spray foam insulation up in the rafters under the roof sheeting and it performs very well. Our attic is never more that 6-7 degrees F warmer than the house in the summer and the house and garage are easier to cool and more consistent temps because of it. Our garage is a modest approx. 1000 sq ft, deep tandem, with a regular insulated garage door. The builder made sure that the garage door company had one of their better installers hang it and it fits very tight and seals very well. Our central ac unit in the garage is rated for a 1400 sq ft home and it cools the garage perfectly. I keep the thermostat on 78-79 degrees and turn it down to 74 when I want to work in the garage. Hope this helps.
thabk you. Definitely something to consider if I want to tear out the drywall and add insulation. It would only have to be on one wall. Hmmmm....cheaper than moving. 😊
Old 09-01-2018, 08:28 PM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Macduc

I didn’t realise that this was available in Australia. Do you know the best place to get these panels. I have a panel lift door and lining the inside would finish off my space great.
Any of the big door suppliers sell the insulation panels eg B&D or Glidrol etc ,,,,best place is on ebay they are the cheapest but you have to do some DIY work and cut to size and Sikaflex them in place ..
Just do a local google search ad you will find a local supplier and check the thickness of your door panels to buy the proper thickness insulation ...
https://www.ebay.com.au/i/253246064347?chn=ps

Old 09-02-2018, 12:08 AM
turbo3six
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts
Default New addition to the garage

Old 09-02-2018, 12:48 AM
TeutonicCarFan
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

^ I love it. All these garages with supercars and a bunch of paired 911s FTW
Old 09-02-2018, 11:21 PM