picture of your garage

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 12:07 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by MEM82
Not sure if this is the right place to post but,
Everyone has been motivating me to clean and update my garage . I spent the early evening cleaning it and throwing out junk

My plan is lift, swisstrax or raceoeck. I amnot planning any cabinets. I just want it to look clean with a new look and fresh paint.
I would like to paint the concrete wall at the base. I was playing around with white paint and it looks really bad!
​that's when I got around to googling the proper way.

Someone recommended wunderfixx which is a concrete mix you coat over the entire section and it fills in pores,, you grind off blebs, wait to dry, sand and then paint. Not sure how safe it is since there is a cancer causing ingredient and my wife doesn't want me to try it.

Does anyone have a method or product to coat over the concrete before I paint it? Anyone like a particular paint or can recommend a color for painting the concrete area and the beige walls?

Has anyone painted these concrete areas before with great success? Thanks!!

- edit also what foam padding would you recommend to cover that pole? Any highly rated one on Amazon?

If cost is not a concern, I would use Porcelain tile. I tried all coatings/racedeck etc on previous garages. On my recent build I went with Porcelain commercial tile ADA rating (for slip resistance), best thing I ever did.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:11 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by MEM82
Not sure if this is the right place to post but,
Everyone has been motivating me to clean and update my garage . I spent the early evening cleaning it and throwing out junk

My plan is lift, swisstrax or raceoeck. I amnot planning any cabinets. I just want it to look clean with a new look and fresh paint.
I would like to paint the concrete wall at the base. I was playing around with white paint and it looks really bad!
​that's when I got around to googling the proper way.

Someone recommended wunderfixx which is a concrete mix you coat over the entire section and it fills in pores,, you grind off blebs, wait to dry, sand and then paint. Not sure how safe it is since there is a cancer causing ingredient and my wife doesn't want me to try it.

Does anyone have a method or product to coat over the concrete before I paint it? Anyone like a particular paint or can recommend a color for painting the concrete area and the beige walls?

Has anyone painted these concrete areas before with great success? Thanks!!
I used this 15 years ago and its still holding up great. Its epoxy with a urethane clearcoat. the first coat of epoxy is greatly watered down so it penetrates the concrete, then you put a full coat down followed by the urethane top coat. Urethane is worn out in some places but the epoxy is solid. https://ucoatit.com/
Old 08-29-2018, 12:59 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

Agree with above on Porcelain tile. I'm a residential homebuilder and have built a lot of hangars (currently building several homes with hangar in an airpark). Porcelain tile holds up a lot better than Epoxy paint (which looks good for maybe a year or two) and Race Deck flooring which expands and contracts a lot (looks like crap around the edges). In AZ, we can tile for about the same as Race Deck or paint. Probably cost an additional $2-3 per sq ft in other areas to do tile.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:49 PM
HEAT'N'COOL
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by M Coop
Do I see a pitt for lift in the third picture? Bendpak Md-6xp?
The garage actually has a 6' deep oil pit that was put in in the 60's... it has wiring already in it. Problem is ceiling height for a lift that can stack cars...
Old 08-29-2018, 02:59 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

You should just hire someone to stucco over that concrete, that’s good cheapest best look, Or if you want to do it yourself you could probably glue on a concrete board or hardy board they have a 4 x 8 stucco looking Hardi board it would be durable for a garage and can be painted
Old 08-29-2018, 04:38 PM
BerryS
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I built a home in 2016 with an excellent builder. However, he insisted that in our climate (Michigan) a porcelain tile garage floor would not be possible. As a result, I went with a polyurethane coating.

Is this correct, or would porcelain tile still be an option for me?

Regards,

Berry

Originally Posted by joejenie
Agree with above on Porcelain tile. I'm a residential homebuilder and have built a lot of hangars (currently building several homes with hangar in an airpark). Porcelain tile holds up a lot better than Epoxy paint (which looks good for maybe a year or two) and Race Deck flooring which expands and contracts a lot (looks like crap around the edges). In AZ, we can tile for about the same as Race Deck or paint. Probably cost an additional $2-3 per sq ft in other areas to do tile.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:33 PM
tkrtape12
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow I forgot how awesome this thread is...We finally moved into a new house after our Relocation from Chicago to DFW....after spending a couple hours here,I have some great ideals
Thanks!
Old 08-29-2018, 06:26 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by BerryS
I built a home in 2016 with an excellent builder. However, he insisted that in our climate (Michigan) a porcelain tile garage floor would not be possible. As a result, I went with a polyurethane coating.

Regards,

Berry
I don’t know the answer but all the dealerships by me have porcelain tiles. My next house build I was thinking about Porcelain tiles.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:31 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

No clue on the cold climate! I build in Utah and Arizona which is dry climate so maybe it is an issue where you are at. I would still take the risk though. Just save some extra in case some crack. Epoxy looks awful in 3-5 years.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:47 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Berry. All concrete cracks, eventually, some quicker and more than others depending on the consistency, the pour, the formula. Some of the porcelain tiles my crack but you could also replace them, honestly though if you have decent concrete spend the money to have it polished and then acid stained and then cleared.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:57 PM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

tinted concrete sealer on steel trowel finish....dark Charcoal ...

Old 08-29-2018, 10:04 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

This is pretty dirty I haven’t cleaned it in a polished it in two years but you can make it look wet
Old 08-29-2018, 10:22 PM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 244 Posts

Very impressive thread.

We just replaces the 54 year old door with a Clopay, high lift, R18 insulated door and are contemplating a storage lift depending on the figment of the new car.

Before

After

High lift door

Its a bit tight

Old 08-29-2018, 11:06 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by BerryS

Regards,

Berry
It won’t crack if done right. I did a very strong reinforced pour with vapor barrier. They then applied red guard on top of the concrete prior to the thin set.

I live in North Jersey and we get plenty of snow and sub zero temperatures.

A firetruck parked inside for a fundraiser and it didn’t crack.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:12 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by longboarder
No inside pics as the garage is used mostly for synthesizing meth at the moment while saving for .2 ADM.
LOL!! effing .2 ADM is a biatch! Nice cars and house.

Quick Reply: picture of your garage