Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

picture of your garage

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 03:43 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Currently in Rockport, TX with a 3,200 sq ft shop, 4-post lift, etc., along with 2 indoor spaces at the house. In the downsizing mode and was thinking of moving to CA....then Hurricane Harvey hit us....hard. House and shop did fine but many neighbors/town did not fare well. That said, wife & I headed out to So Cal a month or so ago looking for a change. Picked out an assisted living home for her Mom and a put down a 10 day refundable deposit on a nice house we found in Thousand Oaks for us. Then the fires came to So Cal coming within 4 miles of MIL's new assisted living home...so thats out. We had one day to get our 3% escrow money back and did. Not to be discouraged we just found a brilliant, funky, architect designed home with a 2 car garage (downsizing the herd) in Tucson. Any other natural disasters anyone can think of in this part of the country...locust maybe
Old 12-14-2017, 04:08 PM
17bhub
Rennlist Member

Location: Where I get the fresh scent of spent Jet Fuel & see Cold Smoke!
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Just super high summer temperatures but lots of spring training baseball to be had!

Good choice staying out of CA. High Taxes, super Liberal, gun laws, etc., not to mention all the sales tax you'll spend on all the Porsches!
Old 12-14-2017, 05:18 PM
MatthiasAK
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanDDWPartners

New Age Pros. This setup is $3200 shipped
Love it. Are you willing to share how much doing the concrete like that cost? How big is the space? How slick is it, and do you anticipate it cracking with age?
Old 12-14-2017, 05:31 PM
RyanDDWPartners
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MatthiasAK
Love it. Are you willing to share how much doing the concrete like that cost? How big is the space? How slick is it, and do you anticipate it cracking with age?
The cost will vary depending on how much you need done but my house garage is 1500ft and it was about $7.50ft to do what you see. It’s not slick at all even when wet, that’s one common misconception. I don’t anticipate any cracking issues over time.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:53 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,797 Likes on 2,195 Posts

Thanks all for the advice on cabinets. I think I'm going to go with New Age. They look good, people seem to be happy with them, and the price is reasonable. The higher-end cabinets are much more expensive, and surely meant for someone who'll be using them a lot more than I will.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:56 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

It looks like you have some exposed aggregate in the concrete which indicatesthey really went after it with the polish, I like the look but people should be aware of this decreases the lifespan of the concrete to some degree, as far as cracking, all concrete will eventually crack but whether that happens in one year or five years or 100 years depends on the mix and the conditions for which it's been poured and cured, igooz did it right

in my opinion compared to tiles etc. I like the natural look at concrete, I think your place looks spectacular
Old 12-15-2017, 01:22 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Just get used kitchen cabinets off craigslist. Sometimes they are even free. A quick sanding/scuffing and spray bomb with appliance epoxy if you don’t like the color.

Has anyone done a basement garage with an elevator? I have ~4500 sq/ft of unused space with 8 1/2ft ceilings down there.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:15 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

all concrete crack, there is NO exceptions. if you like that (i do) then that's perfect. if not, you will get really upset.

there are highly polished and there are highly highly polished.
my warehouse is polished, not slippery, well not too slippery
my entire house is polished conc floor (the house not the garage) i love concrete (a student of tadao ando), and a little more slippery
my garage is mirror like (until tire stain comes in, which i also love), it's slippery hell. if you wear sox or if it's wet, i bet you my green slip you will slip in less than 10 min. i do have death wish '-)
my wife and kids are instructed to never enter the garate (seriously) last time they were in it with me present, we ended in the ER.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:28 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

On cracks, they do all crack, but you can minimize it by engineering the structural reinforcements and using galvanized mesh and rebar. The extra cost is minimal to use galvanized steel but going with extra steel and a thicker on the slab adds considerable money.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:35 AM
96Tiger
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Thanks all for the advice on cabinets. I think I'm going to go with New Age. They look good, people seem to be happy with them, and the price is reasonable. The higher-end cabinets are much more expensive, and surely meant for someone who'll be using them a lot more than I will.
I’m with you on the New Age cabinets. I ordered a large set from Costco for significantly less than Home Depot and other sellers. They are being delivered today, my only concern is that they are red. Wanted to add some color to the garage but it may be too much.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:08 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

I-beam in photo is for 5,000lb overhead crane. It will make life easier to swing engines or other heavy work. I need the structural engineer to give me final load limit. 2.5”arctic insulation going in soon, some sandwich material from Fairbanks.

Originally Posted by osu s2k
It looks like you have some exposed aggregate in the concrete which indicatesthey really went after it with the polish, I like the look but people should be aware of this decreases the lifespan of the concrete to some degree, as far as cracking, all concrete will eventually crack but whether that happens in one year or five years or 100 years depends on the mix and the conditions for which it's been poured and cured, igooz did it right

in my opinion compared to tiles etc. I like the natural look at concrete, I think your place looks spectacular
Originally Posted by mooty
all concrete crack, there is NO exceptions. if you like that (i do) then that's perfect. if not, you will get really upset.

there are highly polished and there are highly highly polished.
my warehouse is polished, not slippery, well not too slippery
my entire house is polished conc floor (the house not the garage) i love concrete (a student of tadao ando), and a little more slippery
my garage is mirror like (until tire stain comes in, which i also love), it's slippery hell. if you wear sox or if it's wet, i bet you my green slip you will slip in less than 10 min. i do have death wish '-)
my wife and kids are instructed to never enter the garate (seriously) last time they were in it with me present, we ended in the ER.
Thank you. My Chicago concrete friend recommended 5” pour with rebar AND mesh, followed with underwater cure for 21 days...if I get cracks, it will still be OK. Patina is patina.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:54 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Default ...any Lighting experts...suppliers...?

Delete...sorry. Repeat.

Last edited by Igooz; 12-26-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:01 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Default Lighting gurus... Frontal!

Delete...sorry. Repeat.

Last edited by Igooz; 12-26-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:41 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by 17bhub
Just super high summer temperatures but lots of spring training baseball to be had! High temps/low humidity...TX high temps/high humidity.

Good choice staying out of CA. Yep....fires chased us out of things took root. High Taxes, super Liberal, gun laws, etc., not to mention all the sales tax you'll spend on all the Porsches. Yep again...AZ not so bad on state income tax and no problem carrying a weapon on person, etc. !
Pics of the wife's future studio (checkout the natural light coming in lower left) and 4' wide hallway leading to the garage...loving the polished concrete look and may do the same in the garage. Place has incredible cabinetry throughout. Look forward to filling up the garage space in a few weeks T
Old 12-26-2017, 11:17 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanDDWPartners

It’s a super high polished concrete that’s also dyed and has two layers of a hard protective clear coat
Great flooring. Can you PM me details on who did it and how? Starting a fairly significant 6-8 bay garage project here in Texas. Would welcome your insights. My concrete guy is awesome but I would like for him to look at how you did this.

Also, do your car tires squeak like crazy as you turn on this surface? Thanks for answering.

Best,
SB

Quick Reply: picture of your garage