991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

picture of your garage

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 07:28 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,797 Likes on 2,195 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Looking at making an offer on a house. Size of the house is modest, and location isn't ideal, but a big attraction is this nine-car garage:

Originally Posted by bronson7
^^^Grab it
Originally Posted by jlee504
If the rest of the house is good I would do it!! What a garage!!!
Turns out that the current owner had four lifts in the garage, bringing the garage capacity to 13 cars!

After visiting the house several times inside and out, we've decided to make an offer.

The house has more than seven acres, most of which is very scenic rolling hills in horse country, and also has a barn with six stables. I wouldn't have guessed that there are many people who are into both cars and horses, but perhaps that's not the case?
Originally Posted by jlee504
it's a slippery slope, once you buy a house that fits that many cars you can't not fill it...its like furniture, the bigger the house the more furniture you need..

Get together at your place!
After some negotiations, offer was accepted! Assuming no significant issues revealed by inspections, we should be good to go.

Feel very lucky to get a house with a 9-car garage. House is moderate sized, and even houses costing 2X as much around here typically only have 3- or 4-car garages, so this unbalanced configuration works well for us (original owner had a car dealership and collected cars). I wonder if I like garages even more than cars?

I look forward to spending some time going back through this thread for ideas on cabinets, etc.

Get together at my place sounds good!
Old 03-08-2017, 07:46 PM
strettyend
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

Congrats! That's one bad *** garage and can't wait to see what toys you fill it up with!
Old 03-08-2017, 08:03 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by strettyend
Congrats! That's one bad *** garage and can't wait to see what toys you fill it up with!
Thanks! Currently have six cars, and need to get a safe but crappy car next year for our daughter when she starts driving, so will only have two spots left. May finally be time to get the air-cooled 911 my heart has been yearning for.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:04 PM
strettyend
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks! Currently have six cars, and need to get a safe but crappy car next year for our daughter when she starts driving, so will only have two spots left. May finally be time to get the air-cooled 911 my heart has been yearning for.
That garage deserves a Singer
Old 03-08-2017, 08:15 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by strettyend
That garage deserves a Singer
lol, no money left for Singer, will need to populate the garage with a fleet of cheap cars.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:02 PM
NBoost
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Congrats Manifold. That garage is awesome.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:06 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Congrats on the house and awesome garage... I'd love that. Looks like you could maybe fit more than 9 cars in there though ?? Add lifts and wow, you're set! Haha
Old 03-08-2017, 10:07 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by NBoost
+1 Enjoy!
Old 03-08-2017, 10:14 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NBoost
Originally Posted by tonymission
Congrats on the house and awesome garage... I'd love that. Looks like you could maybe fit more than 9 cars in there though ?? Add lifts and wow, you're set! Haha
Originally Posted by nuvolari612
+1 Enjoy!
Thanks, it's quite an upgrade from our current two-car garage!

The space is generous for 9 cars, but I don't think more than 9 can reasonably be squeezed in without lifts. Power is already in place for lifts, but if we ever need more than 9 cars, I'll start to question my sanity.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:19 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
Damn, you guys live in some expensive areas!!

In Charlotte, you can buy an entire 3000 sq ft HOUSE for less than $300k!!

We're looking at moving and building a new house and a separate shop/garage - since we can't in our neighborhood - but we've hit a bit of a dilemma....we found a perfect 2 acre lot at the end of a cul-de-sac in a small neighborhood (16 lots) with relatively no/minimal restrictions. Want to build the house with a 3 car attached and 3/4 car detached. However....county ordinance restricts impervious coverage to 6% of the property, which is only about 5,200 sq ft....impervious includes anything that is not "natural", like the building(s), driveway, patio, walkways, etc. The property is in the watershed zone for a lake that feeds Charlotte water supply. But here's the kickers:

-We currently live on that same lake and have 5500 sq ft of impervious on 3/4 acres of land. It seems the new ordinances went into effect in 2000 and this neighborhood was planned in 2001, so they must comply.

-EVERY SINGLE house in that neighborhood except 1 violates the impervious rule...and its shown clearly on the county portal website that they violate it (one house is at 9980 sq ft of impervious on 2 acres!!) so it's not like they're hiding it.

Calls to county planning and zoning confirm that we can only build 5200 sq ft of impervious to get our CO.

A builder we talked to said to build the buildings under the amount, then pave the driveway and do the patio after the CO is issued...risky IMO..

Anyone have a similar issue?
What if you did something like this http://www.supersod.com/products/drivable-grass.html

Would that count against your impervious sq ft count?
Old 03-10-2017, 05:07 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks, it's quite an upgrade from our current two-car garage!

The space is generous for 9 cars, but I don't think more than 9 can reasonably be squeezed in without lifts. Power is already in place for lifts, but if we ever need more than 9 cars, I'll start to question my sanity.
Don't ever say crazy things like this.
No one NEEDS 1 car, but we all want them.

I have 3, and my dad has over 30, so my views are skewed a bit. I know I would have that space filled pretty quickly if I had it, I only have a 2ish car garage. Which is why I only have 3 cars.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:00 PM
Shine Auto Salon
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shine Auto Facility!

Does this count?

Old 03-10-2017, 07:49 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 66mustang
Don't ever say crazy things like this.
No one NEEDS 1 car, but we all want them.

I have 3, and my dad has over 30, so my views are skewed a bit. I know I would have that space filled pretty quickly if I had it, I only have a 2ish car garage. Which is why I only have 3 cars.
lol, we have 6 cars with a 2-car garage - the math doesn't work well. I guess desperation drove us to discover a house with a 9-car garage, and fortunately we like the house and land too.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:44 PM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 43 Posts

Progress!
Attached Images  
Old 03-11-2017, 09:44 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

My home search over several years, and reading back through this thread, give me the impression is that it's quite uncommon to find garages for more than 3 or 4 cars even with homes that are relatively large and expensive (say 3X or higher cost than the average home in the state).

Is it really that uncommon for people who buy such homes to only have three or four cars?

Quick Reply: picture of your garage