Sponsored by:

picture of your garage

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 01:27 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
Damn, you guys live in some expensive areas!!

In Charlotte, you can buy an entire 3000 sq ft HOUSE for less than $300k!!

We're looking at moving and building a new house and a separate shop/garage - since we can't in our neighborhood - but we've hit a bit of a dilemma....we found a perfect 2 acre lot at the end of a cul-de-sac in a small neighborhood (16 lots) with relatively no/minimal restrictions. Want to build the house with a 3 car attached and 3/4 car detached. However....county ordinance restricts impervious coverage to 6% of the property, which is only about 5,200 sq ft....impervious includes anything that is not "natural", like the building(s), driveway, patio, walkways, etc. The property is in the watershed zone for a lake that feeds Charlotte water supply. But here's the kickers:

-We currently live on that same lake and have 5500 sq ft of impervious on 3/4 acres of land. It seems the new ordinances went into effect in 2000 and this neighborhood was planned in 2001, so they must comply.

-EVERY SINGLE house in that neighborhood except 1 violates the impervious rule...and its shown clearly on the county portal website that they violate it (one house is at 9980 sq ft of impervious on 2 acres!!) so it's not like they're hiding it.

Calls to county planning and zoning confirm that we can only build 5200 sq ft of impervious to get our CO.

A builder we talked to said to build the buildings under the amount, then pave the driveway and do the patio after the CO is issued...risky IMO..

Anyone have a similar issue?
Sounds to me like the other homeowners that appear to be in violation have asked for and received variances. I don't think those people would have been comfy building such large homes without a variance. It will take some brain damage and some dollars, but based on precedent, I would think you would be able to get a variance as well.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:48 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Land X
2100 sf
Arch Eng fees 12k
Foundation 20k
Concrete floor 25k
Epoxy . Tile 20k
Exterior Efis stone 85k
Steel 15k
Framing 15k
Flat Roof 14k
Gutters drains etc 12k
Garage Carriage Doors Motors x4 2 windows man door 30k
Driveway 25k
Electric Lights 20k
HVAC 14k
Plumbing 10k
Drywall 35k
Insulation 10k
Welding 4k

Four car technically - rough est. all cost I'm the GC thought it would cost 1/2 and be done in 1/2 the time.
That drywall is insane for 2,100 SF. Damn! Down here in TX we pay about $3 / SF.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:53 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

We're looking at moving and building a new house and a separate shop/garage - since we can't in our neighborhood - but we've hit a bit of a dilemma....we found a perfect 2 acre lot at the end of a cul-de-sac in a small neighborhood (16 lots) with relatively no/minimal restrictions. Want to build the house with a 3 car attached and 3/4 car detached. However....county ordinance restricts impervious coverage to 6% of the property, which is only about 5,200 sq ft....impervious includes anything that is not "natural", like the building(s), driveway, patio, walkways, etc. The property is in the watershed zone for a lake that feeds Charlotte water supply. But here's the kickers:

-We currently live on that same lake and have 5500 sq ft of impervious on 3/4 acres of land. It seems the new ordinances went into effect in 2000 and this neighborhood was planned in 2001, so they must comply.

-EVERY SINGLE house in that neighborhood except 1 violates the impervious rule...and its shown clearly on the county portal website that they violate it (one house is at 9980 sq ft of impervious on 2 acres!!) so it's not like they're hiding it.

Calls to county planning and zoning confirm that we can only build 5200 sq ft of impervious to get our CO.

A builder we talked to said to build the buildings under the amount, then pave the driveway and do the patio after the CO is issued...risky IMO..

Anyone have a similar issue?
I agree with your builder. Do your driveways out of permeable material like crushed stone, pea gravel, or a grass paver stone that you fill with dirt. Then sneak in and do it later if you want. See if they count a deck as permeable or impervious. Warning, though, if you ever want to do a pool or such you're hosed.

Also, see if your architect or engineer can trade off some credits on impervious surface by creating your own detention. Cisterns or underground storage for your gutters, maybe a small detention basin or leach field. Not sure your ordinances but perhaps you can get a variance or waiver if you get creative.

The argument that your neighbors are in violation NEVER wins, unfortunately.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:02 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

Man.. I can only wish! I'm in for 4 x that amount on a new place here in Toronto..
Just added NC to my snowbird list..
Old 03-01-2017, 03:14 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am having a similar battle in BC. I have 2 smaller lake front lots, 120 feet of lake front, and about 120 feet deep. The issue there is a about a 50' building setback from the 'natural boundary' at flood levels. The problem is my lots sit on top of a very steep solid rock cliff. No way in heck the place will ever flood. Since I am doing a tear down and a full new build I have to comply with the new codes. Both existing homes have about a 15' setback, there are lake level data for about the past 75 years. You take the highest flood level and the water is still a long way from the existing homes, with the smaller setback. Even the local building inspector agrees, it is a stupid rule, but it is his bosses in the planning department that give me the actual required building permit. So I have to make a lot of comprimises in the design of both the new home, and its attached garage. I would have liked to have had 5 bays, 3 for cars and 2 for boats/toys. But it looks like I will only end up with 3 bays in total. I have had my architect and survey company do full 3D maps showing how silly the rule is in my case. But it seems they will not budge on the setback distance.

Last edited by sctanton52; 03-01-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:33 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 527 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Man.. I can only wish! I'm in for 4 x that amount on a new place here in Toronto..
Just added NC to my snowbird list..
I know, right? We moved from a townhouse in north western NJ to a new construction, all brick, 4000 sq ft, 3 car garage house with a boat slip on the lake, on 3/4 acre lot for LESS than we sold the 2000 sq ft townhouse for...and our taxes went from $6800 to $2300 (have since gone up to $4500, but still...) and...were exactly 9.1 miles to the dead center of downtown Charlotte.

Lot were looking at is $130k for 2 acres...and 2 miles away from where we are now...

The house with 9980 sq ft impervious has a pool, basketball court, huge driveway and very large patio leading to the pool.

The HOA president said what people do is exactly what the builder suggested...in fact his house is the only one not in violation because he hasn't paved his driveway...which he plans to do as soon as he builds the garage extension and gets the CO for it....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 03-01-2017, 09:14 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by otisdog
FFaust - Your footings are more than 8' deep?
The property slopes down a few feet as it moves away from the existing house, so in order to be below the 4' ish frost line at the far end, we had to go deep, about 7' deep on the side of the existing house, so we just went the extra foot deeper to match the house's foundation and have a continuous footing all around.

Foundation wall is roughly 8' high and sticks out of the ground 2'.It wasn't supposed to stick out so much, it was supposed to be 18'' lower, but the foundation guy messed up. Not a huge deal, but concrete is more $$ than lumber.

Footing itself is 24" wide x 8" think.

One piece of advice for anyone contemplating a build: PAY ATTENTION AND BE PRESENT. Mistakes and/or mis-communication happen quickly and they are MUCH easier to address up front.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:30 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Naro, IMVHO, I would suggest doing it 'legally' and getting whatever variance you might need. Not being holier than thow, but you could have problems if you try to sell the house down the road if you are in violation. Not sure how those other guys pulled it off...

Risky business me thinks.

Apologies if this sounds obvious.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:18 PM
autobahnA8
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by autobahnA8; 03-02-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:44 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

a funny Austrian guy:

in German:

Facebook Post
Old 03-02-2017, 03:58 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

^^ thanks for sharing that.

Funny guy and funny little movie LOL

Sponsored by dad
US plates on the CGT?
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2017, 05:05 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_ker

I totally enjoyed that video even though I understood very little ..........I think he win,s hands down for the best garage eg man cave .............. And Yeh Funny Guy
Old 03-02-2017, 05:23 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

jo_ker:

Nice video. Who is this guy?
Old 03-02-2017, 09:11 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

^^
privat Race Car Driver (back in the days).
logistic, gravel,disposal company owner.

now "just" a collector. and a typical vienna-area old fashion guy
Old 03-02-2017, 11:26 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
^^ thanks for sharing that.

Funny guy and funny little movie LOL

Sponsored by dad
US plates on the CGT?
Not the best speller, that CGT owner is...

Quick Reply: picture of your garage