Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   picture of your garage (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/899286-picture-of-your-garage.html)

osu s2k 10-19-2016 11:28 PM

If its not a fresh slab tiles should be ok. I only worried about staining grout joints w fluids ect. I suppose u can seal them. Simply polished or stained and polished can be fairly inexpensive if you are a good diy guy just takes time. New materials are safer and easier to work with
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...1561516ab.jpeg

Igooz 10-19-2016 11:58 PM

^osu 2sk, what did you to that floor? looks very nice. It looks polished like Mooty...I like it.
And how many square feet is that shop?

I am about to consolidate everything into one "final" house and build a "final" garage. I need room for about 14 cars and I am assuming ~160 sq. ft per car. So thinking 14 X 160. Any advice here?

mooty 10-20-2016 12:02 AM

ceramic or porcelain tiles are very nice.
if you dont work in garage, HIGHLY polished concrete or granite (mirror finish) is great. but you WILL FALL and break bones. i speak from my kids' experience. now one own enter my garage except me ;-)

polished concrete has many levels. 10+ passes with diamond sender will make it look nice. but the dust is worst than volcanic ashes.

mooty 10-20-2016 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Igooz (Post 13687545)
^osu 2sk, what did you to that floor? looks very nice. It looks polished like Mooty...I like it.

I am about to consolidate everything into one "final" house and build a "final" garage. I need room for about 14 cars and I am assuming ~160 sq. ft per car. So thinking 14 X 160. Any advice here?

do u want STORAGE or GARAGE?
each car really need 12x20, preferably 14x20 per car. i like doors fully open and being able to walk around each car like a regular human bring not cat woman wiht 18" waistline walking sideways. 10x20 is min. but you will regreat it if you are building from scratch.

Igooz 10-20-2016 06:15 AM

^John, thank you. Garage is what I am after not packing it tight storage.
I did my own mickey mouse drawing on PowerPoint and assumed 8'X20' per car. I will go with your number and assume 14' X 20' per car, and X 14 and ask for separate space for storage and a room for air compressor and other stuff.

I meet with a real designer next week get the drawings started.

HeyJacu 10-20-2016 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Igooz
^John, thank you. Garage is what I am after not packing it tight storage.
I did my own mickey mouse drawing on PowerPoint and assumed 8'X20' per car. I will go with your number and assume 14' X 20' per car, and X 14 and ask for separate space for storage and a room for air compressor and other stuff.

I meet with a real designer next week get the drawings started.

For your reference, standard parking lot stalls are 9x18, 10x18or20 in lots that feel less compact.

Ask your designer to be sure to include a plan showing the minimum turning radii for an average sized vehicle at critical positions within and outside the garage. This visual reference is very helpful when to plan how you will maneuver in and out or within the garage. The turning templates show tire positions and typical vehicle overhangs, you will be able to compare this to your vehicles, possibly one that has the worst turning radius and largest front and rear overhangs.

Good luck with the project

Waxer 10-20-2016 08:42 AM

993 Targa: you are my hero! Epic!

Igooz 10-20-2016 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by HeyJacu (Post 13687926)
For your reference, standard parking lot stalls are 9x18, 10x18or20 in lots that feel less compact.

Ask your designer to be sure to include a plan showing the minimum turning radii for an average sized vehicle at critical positions within and outside the garage. This visual reference is very helpful when to plan how you will maneuver in and out or within the garage. The turning templates show tire positions and typical vehicle overhangs, you will be able to compare this to your vehicles, possibly one that has the worst turning radius and largest front and rear overhangs.

Good luck with the project

I appreciate the input. I have millions of questions, but this thread is about showing the pictures of the garage and not how to build a garage. I think that I will meet with our designer, do some more research, and maybe start a thread. I have been keeping cars out of 3 homes and one warehouse, and now that I am old(er) we are moving back to our home state, sell some stuff, and slowly consolidate...I have tried all sorts of epoxy floors, painted walls, various lighting, etc...I don't want to epoxy the floor again...
A lot of great input from great folks here...TIA.

jo_ker 10-20-2016 12:18 PM

if you can - go anytime with tiles.
(i canīt/doesnīt want; based on the sub-structure of the floor...)

doesnīt matter who will tell what: epoxy will always change based on UV (sun) and based on the plasticizer/softeners in our semis and slicks.
high quality tiles + professional laid will not crack if some tools will fall on the floor.

but as you say: lets get to garage pics.

bobaines 10-20-2016 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is 24' x 48' so you can see what 8' wide looks like with real cars. I can go 3 cars deep but very tight feeling. You can walk freely but no working on cars.

FastAlpine 10-20-2016 03:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
My first garage (been waiting to have a garage to play with for a long time). The house was built in 1959 so the garage was pretty old looking when I moved in but some tile, paint, new lighting, and cabinets fixed that.

The before:
Attachment 1197367

During:
Attachment 1197368

After:
Attachment 1197369

and how it sits today for the most part:

Attachment 1197370

osu s2k 10-20-2016 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Igooz (Post 13687545)

I ended up acid staining the floor after having the floor cleaned and prepped, then I lay down a single stage urethane coating with a small amount of shark bite (basically very fine sand) to offer grip. Then a few coats of standard floor polish and it cleans up pretty nice I don't think I would ever do Apoxsee but if you acid etch it's within the concrete hard to beat that finish and no two floors look alike. For me it was considerably cheaper than tile and I have some very very good connections for tile and for laborers His garage is around 40 x 75 but I don't have that many cars, collection is it eight and comfortable The more cars i acquire the less I drive each and it frustrates me

porscharu 10-20-2016 05:43 PM

Another alternative to acid staining is acetone dyes such as this. You can layer with different colors and mix as light or as dark as you like without the rinsing after acid. So you have a shorter stain time and can seal sooner meaning less downtime.The other drawback to acid is you never really know what you are going to get, but with acetone dyes you can choose. As stated earlier it will lighten with time due to UV, but the effect can be stunning.

osu s2k 10-20-2016 07:16 PM

Correct! We used these for a basement project. Same company of products that I used, sold through our local Sherwin-Williams, we happened to get a hard to pass price on the acid.

SToronto 10-20-2016 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Igooz
I appreciate the input. I have millions of questions, but this thread is about showing the pictures of the garage and not how to build a garage. I think that I will meet with our designer, do some more research, and maybe start a thread. I have been keeping cars out of 3 homes and one warehouse, and now that I am old(er) we are moving back to our home state, sell some stuff, and slowly consolidate...I have tried all sorts of epoxy floors, painted walls, various lighting, etc...I don't want to epoxy the floor again...
A lot of great input from great folks here...TIA.

Have you been garagejournal.com forums?

Goldmine.