Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pdk-s in manual mode

Old 10-18-2015, 04:32 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pdk-s in manual mode

There have been discussions previously regarding the difference, if any, of using pdk sport when manually shifting with the paddles. The owner's manual does not give a clear explanation regarding this. The past few days I have been experimenting with this and I can feel a difference when pdk sport button is pressed when the rpm's are over 8k (I can't feel a difference bellow this). It seems like the shifts are faster and the car almost surges forward when you make a shift in pdk sport. Just curious what others think about this? For the first 6 mo, I almost never used this feature, but now I find myself pushing 2 buttons after start up (exhaust and pdk sport).
Old 10-18-2015, 04:49 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I totally agree. I drove the same for the first few months then I did the same, pushed the PDKs button in manual mode. I now also do the 2 button push at start up. Don't know for sure if its just my imagination or not but it does feel different.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:12 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

The only explanation I've seen in writing is in the technical introduction docs for the 991 GT3. These docs say that the "lightning shift" feature, which uses stored energy in the drivetrain to provide more rapid "torque enhanced" shifts, is implemented a) when PDK Sport is selected or b) whenever Manual mode is selected. To me, this means that pressing PDK Sport in manual mode is redundant.

I can't feel a difference when pushing the PDK Sport button when Manual mode is already being used, but others say they can. Maybe my brain is being influenced by my interpretation of what I read.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:38 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The only explanation I've seen in writing is in the technical introduction docs for the 991 GT3. These docs say that the "lightning shift" feature, which uses stored energy in the drivetrain to provide more rapid "torque enhanced" shifts, is implemented a) when PDK Sport is selected or b) whenever Manual mode is selected. To me, this means that pressing PDK Sport in manual mode is redundant.

I can't feel a difference when pushing the PDK Sport button when Manual mode is already being used, but others say they can. Maybe my brain is being influenced by my interpretation of what I read.
Mike,
I agree. I have tried it and can't tell a difference. This tranny in PDK-S auto. is optimal on the track.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:44 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

In my car, the "surge" during the shift is simply not there unless PDK Sport is on. The surge/push is kind of goofy to me, so I often leave it off. There is clearly a different nature to a manual shift with PDK Sport on and off.

Edit*, everything i wrote above is incorrect. Lol. I can't recall any surge in manual mode. Only when in Auto and Sport. I'm an idiot.

Last edited by Ceepe; 10-18-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:06 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

I can't feel any difference.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:38 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

I agree with Mike.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:54 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

always felt that with the sport button on and high rpm shifts under hard acceleration gave more of a slam into gear
Old 10-18-2015, 08:07 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,703 Likes on 2,154 Posts

One source who seems to understand these cars well told me there's a very small difference in manual mode with PDK Sport on versus off, and advised me to leave it off on track. So that's what I do. I don't know if there's actually a difference, but if there is, I gather that it's indeed small. Different story of course in auto mode, where the difference is big.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:37 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

I can't feel a difference....I have enough trouble remembering to press the exhaust button let alone pressing 2 buttons anyways....I wish they defaulted to what the car was in when it was turned off....
Old 10-18-2015, 09:23 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Colonel Klink might have said...."I feel nu-ting"....
Old 10-19-2015, 01:52 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 982 Likes on 509 Posts

The one thing you can do with both sport and manual selected is get over revs recorded in range 1. Most feel it doesn't matter. The spread for range 1 is not very large. Also the tech bulletin says damage possible in range 1 which I don't believe was the case with previous engines and PDK.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:35 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I can feel it. There is a "Surge" at high rpm when PDK Sport button ON in Manual mode.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:40 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,717 Likes on 4,755 Posts

Originally Posted by OCturbo
There have been discussions previously regarding the difference, if any, of using pdk sport when manually shifting with the paddles. The owner's manual does not give a clear explanation regarding this. The past few days I have been experimenting with this and I can feel a difference when pdk sport button is pressed when the rpm's are over 8k (I can't feel a difference bellow this). It seems like the shifts are faster and the car almost surges forward when you make a shift in pdk sport. Just curious what others think about this? For the first 6 mo, I almost never used this feature, but now I find myself pushing 2 buttons after start up (exhaust and pdk sport).
I think this (the "surge" you speak of) has more to do with the fact that you are anticipating the shift because you are doing it manually, yourself.

When in Auto, you don't really know exactly when the car is going to shift (whether it's above 8000, or somewhere else in the rev range).
Old 10-19-2015, 02:59 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I think this (the "surge" you speak of) has more to do with the fact that you are anticipating the shift because you are doing it manually, yourself.

When in Auto, you don't really know exactly when the car is going to shift (whether it's above 8000, or somewhere else in the rev range).
I don't feel the "surge" as much when I'm shifting manually without pdk sport. Interestingly, it's a split vote (more no) regarding this topic. It would be nice to get a definitive answer from Porsche

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pdk-s in manual mode