good sunday morning...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 10:14 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
Not fun and I've been there.

I got hit by a car in June, plenty of witnesses, driver just thought cyclists shouldn't be on the road. She destroyed a one month old $10K build.

It's going to cost the driver $60K in med bills before my attorney starts on her. No good for either side. Stay safe, high vis, lights, whatever.
Well damn man, I am sorry to hear - hope it was not as bad as it sounds
Old 10-20-2015, 12:47 AM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 122 Posts

Just saw this, first glad you live to ride/race another day.

I ride Livermore/Mines all the time (soloist) and people mess with me all the time, scary at times. I effin hate it. But MOST people are cool and give you space. Friken ding dongs like this make my blood boil.

Glad your good though, sucks goin down wearing nuttin but underwear and styrofoam...
Old 10-20-2015, 01:20 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Never good to hear somebody you know, even remotely, is put in harms way.

But...

Think twice about escalating this car/cyclist war, especially if you are on both sides of it. I live on one of this area's prime mountain roads for hot-shot cyclists, motorcyclists, and car drivers, and the cyclists are the most unsafe and disrespectful. Rarely ride single file, never stop for signs or signals, and leave their punctured tires discarded on the side of the road. And if they do stop for a signal, they pass all the cars that just passed them, bunch up at the intersection, slow traffic while they take off and clip in, only to then be slowly passed by all of the same cars again. Entitled ********. I stopped street riding because I do not want to be associated with them. When I did, it was with full acceptance that I needed to be clear of any motorized vehicle at any time.

I know the recently passed law gives cyclists rights to space in CA, however in reality the law should not have been passed. There is no way for a car and cyclist to coexist safely on a canyon or mountain road with blind turns and no shoulder.
I have experienced this myself (riding two wide, using both lanes, including the one with oncoming traffic, even) and also agree that cyclists don't belong on roads without designated bike lanes. Not only does it put the cyclists in danger, but it also could quickly ruin the life of a potentially innocent driver that happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time!

That said, I have always stayed far clear of them and have been more courteous than warranted. It's not worth the risk hitting one.

This thread sure is starting to veer off topic.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:37 AM
Shivatron
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
I have experienced this myself (riding two wide, using both lanes, including the one with oncoming traffic, even) and also agree that cyclists don't belong on roads without designated bike lanes. Not only does it put the cyclists in danger, but it also could quickly ruin the life of a potentially innocent driver that happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time!
I appreciate that you were polite in your commentary, but as a bike racer that has spent up to 10k miles a year training on roads, I'd urge you to rethink your position. A cyclist on a has the same right to occupy the road surface as a motorbike or a car. Often, the safest place for me as a cyclist is to occupy the entire lane -- for example, on tight city streets where a vehicle trying to maneuver around me would be dangerous, or in places where the shoulder isn't appropriate to ride (due to debris or other hazards).

Further, two abreast is usually the safest and most convenient way for both cars and bikes to use the same road:

Lastly, if a driver buzzes someone (like Mooty) or worse, hits someone on a bike while driving their car, they are no more "innocent" than had they hit a car in the same fashion. That's not to say a cyclist can't be at fault at an accident, but rather, that "they shouldn't have been riding there" is not much better than a car thief defending their actions by saying you shouldn't have owned such a nice car.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:42 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

^^^ I learned this the hard way while riding my MTB home on spicewood in Austin. A lady hit me while turning onto a residential road. I was very lucky to get through it with just a few bruises, scrapes and no damage to the bike. If I had been riding in the middle of the lane, she would likely have not tried to stay in her lane while passing me. (No GT3...just a Rav4)
Old 10-20-2015, 02:17 AM
Yellow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugh, sucks that happeneed, glad you're OK. I did my skyline run in the car at 8am yesterday while it was still super foggy then up there on my road bike in the mid afternoon. As a driver, I try never to be the ***** i never want to meet as a cyclist. Those Obermeyers cost more than the wheels of 99.9% of cars on the road. The cuts will heal, but the carbon will not.

nonetheless, you're still here, and it's a good sign.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:50 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i will close thread after this post.
the group at fault acknowledged.

look there are a** drivers and a** cyclists.
you have to be both a driver and a cyclist to really understand.
some of the above comments made, shows many dont understand cycliing.

i have no issues with cars speeding and passing bikes. but you dont pass them with 18" gap. the wind you generate will blow them away. you can swing out more and pass safely. just like i dont pass you in a turn on track unless i am in a race. why chance it.

the issue at hand is subject car crossed CENTER median on a straight with clear view of oncoming cyclist and we are on within 3" of dirt, he didnt need to be all the way out on the WRONG lane to pass one slow car. that's not the right move.

are their stupid cyclists? oh plenty. some corner over the yellow line, that's suicidal and i call spade a spade.

some drivers get impatient with bikes b/c they are slower. perhaps. but using my area as example, a good cyclist will be at speed limit on canada road. if you were to pass them, you ARE SPEEDING. if you are coming down 84, chances are i am faster than you. i dont honk my horn and try to pass you. do not always assume cars are faster! i can pass the car descending both inside and outside. but that would be moronic and suicidal. i dont do that. and most cyclist wont either.

do not treat a bike as a bike, think of it as a car. you have a police car in front of you gong at sped limit or maybe 5mph below that. do you pass him?

someone mentioned bikes passing them at signal then slow things down while clipping in. yes i seen that. and those USUALLY are not the smartest cyclists, just like not all drivers are that bright either.

if you have 5-6 bikes and the ride 5 wide, you know they are not real riders and that's their bad. the dumb ones. but if you see a pack of 50, they will take up the whole road. you should treat them as one giant bus. you can pass them over dotted center line with enough space to not endanger you, oncoming traffic be it car or bike or pedestrian and the pack you are passing.

yes, some bike dont stop for stop signs. again that's their bad, remember no one said cyclist are always right. they can be idiots too.

to say bike should only ride on roads with bike lane is plain wrong, with our tree hugger century, if you believe in this idea, soon every road will have bike path and you will have no place to drive. and bike lanes only leads to more accident both car to bike and car to car. jefferson road b/n 280 and el camino. it was 2 lane, now 1 is bike lane. it's a busy street. when there's no bike, cars start to use bike lane, guess what, that's when you hit bikes. or while try to avoid bikes, you swing out and hit cars to your left. the bike lane just got put in, already 7 accidents. and do you really want bike lane on 84, 35 and 92 from saratoga all the way to RWC? you know how many cyclist are there!? you put bike lane there, you will have zero place to drive. too narrow.

when i am on bike, i behave as if i am a car.
when i am in a car, i treat other bikes as i treat other cars.

if i see oncoming cyclist, pedestrian, dogs, deers, cars, motorcycles, i dont cross median. i wait until the next opportunity.

this has nothing to do with car or bike, it is about a car passing median and driving toward another vehicle.

Quick Reply: good sunday morning...