991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kobalts Great White RS

Old 03-12-2019, 08:27 AM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 105 Posts

I’m feeling quite jealous right now! I hope that forecast holds true and the Ring welcomes you back as a friend. It’s weird to me that it was snowing when we were last there, I still have snow all over the pace here, and the Ring will be open already!

Good luck with the 325 test (don’t lock the keys in it... or at least ensure the trunk can’t be locked!) and have fun on Sunday. Can’t wait to hear your impressions on the resurfaced spots.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:03 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by CT_Peter
I’m feeling quite jealous right now! I hope that forecast holds true and the Ring welcomes you back as a friend. It’s weird to me that it was snowing when we were last there, I still have snow all over the pace here, and the Ring will be open already!

Good luck with the 325 test (don’t lock the keys in it... or at least ensure the trunk can’t be locked!) and have fun on Sunday. Can’t wait to hear your impressions on the resurfaced spots.
LOL, I'd forgot about the key incident

I'm in the same spot as you, literally. Here it is really cold and snowy so it feel weird going away to drive on track.

(Yesterday though it was snow on the Ring just as when we where there.)
Old 03-13-2019, 10:33 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Must admit that I don't have that Ring-feeling right now.

(Home right now)
Old 03-13-2019, 10:42 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 733 Posts

Be careful that’s very dangerous!!
Wait till the disaster weather passes, dont go outside
Old 03-13-2019, 11:19 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Bah, we're used to it. Kobalt even more. That's just fun-weather, although maybe not in a Porsche but anything with good winter tyres and 4wd will be highly entertaining
We had snow this morning also down here - and the salt trucks were out ... So season start is still a few weeks away
Old 03-13-2019, 11:21 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
Bah, we're used to it. Kobalt even more. That's just fun-weather, although maybe not in a Porsche but anything with good winter tyres and 4wd will be highly entertaining
We had snow this morning also down here - and the salt trucks were out ... So season start is still a few weeks away
True!

Well, I'm just happy if the plane leaves on time/at all on Friday.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:27 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Now I got that Ring-feeling!

Old 03-13-2019, 11:53 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,706 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Good way to get the blood pumping in the morning
Old 03-15-2019, 10:43 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Finally!

Name:  photo791.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  157.9 KB
Old 03-15-2019, 11:03 AM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 105 Posts

So jealous right now. With all that you have going on this weekend to prep the race car, please don't forget us poor souls who can't be there and remember to post some track videos!

Have a great time and keep it shiny side up. No more money shifts either!
Old 03-18-2019, 07:21 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

So, back in the old country after a nice weekend in the Eifel mountains.

Saturday was trainingday for VLN: You drive the GP track and the Nordschleife as in VLN to wake up your body and mind and to test/setup the car.
Sunday was Touristdriving.

To start with I'd like to say that the tarmac from exit Flügplatz to entrance Aremberg has not destroyed the track. Much grip as the tarmac is new and I suspect that after some time this section will be very much as it was before when it comes to small bumps and stuff. Right now it is easy to drive and nice braking into Aremberg in the wet (was very slippery before).

The new tarmac from Kallenhard to exit Miss-Hit-Miss has changed the track a bit. Spiegelkurve is not as deep as before and the track surface is very smooth.
It is much saver now and I think that the might have changed the off-camber in Miss-Hit-Miss. Before it was an act of balance in MHM, especially if you turned in a little bit to late. Now is is much easier to drive this section.
I was afraid that this would be boring but the section has a really nice flow to it now and I really like it (Even though I spent a couple 100 laps figuring out the old version).
Grip level is really high in Kallenhard (was also very slippery like Aremberg since it is downhill hard braking) - it will get slippery again after the race cars put down more rubber there. Grip is really good everywhere there is new tarmac.

There are some new FIA fences and some tyre walls have been added to the track but you'll notice this yourself so I won't point out where it is.

Be careful where the new tarmac changes over to the old tarmac after Miss-Hit-Miss: When carrying speed the left sida of car is pretty loaded and the edge between new and old is actually bumpy.
Extra careful in the wet...

Also remember that that is old tarmac in Flügplatz and new just after the second apex with a small bump which can upset the car in the wet.

Exit Flügplats: You clearly see the difference where the old tarmac meets the new.

Exit Miss-Hit-Miss: You see Wehrseifen in the distance and you see the new tarmac meeting the new.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:25 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 733 Posts

Old 03-18-2019, 12:41 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

As mentioned we've been building a BMW 325 for the V4 class in VLN primarily but it can also be used in RCN.
We plan to continue driving the M3 in RCN but if fails the V4 car might replace it.

The car was basically ready for the testday on the evening before

In short: Engine good, gearbox good, steering good, suspension good.

It is actually very nice to drive. We did a complete day from 9.00 to 17.00 and the car worked perfect except for one minor problem with a battery cable.
The day started cold and wet and during afternoon we could change from bad rain tyres to good slicks.

It was exceptional slippery in the morning.

Then on Sunday we did 10 laps. 7 in wet and 3 in more or less dry.

Car feels really good.

Next Saturday it is premiere for VLN 1.

Getting sponsor stickers and start number

Transponder and driver id system - needs to be put in together with data logger before we are allowed to start in VLN.

The team complained that the car was difficult to see on the track. I must agree - it is very quiet and anonymous. When it comes down the front straight it just melts in with the grey concrete and it whispers like an electric car
You might even miss it when it is in the box.

A test run during TF

Last edited by Kobalt; 03-19-2019 at 05:48 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:47 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Did three laps in the 997.1 GT3, warm up plus two just under eight.

Posting this one because you clearly see the new tarmac.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:03 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Some random picts from VLN testing day

Love to have these brakes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kobalts Great White RS