Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kobalts Great White RS

Old 10-04-2018, 06:09 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Section training with Scuderia Hanseat

Unfortunately the vacuum pump broke down on my Cayman S - puting some oil on the ground.

So lonely - no one to play with.

E-Unit to the rescue

Cayman joining the Bongart Clube
Old 10-04-2018, 06:14 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Welcome to Manthey

The broken vacuum pump.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:20 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Not your usual tow vehicle

Manthey could help me on short notice this time so wife and I towed the car to another garage which sourced a used vacuum pump and replaced the old one within 2.5 hours.
Normally you have to get the engine out to change pump but somehow our miracle mechanic fixed it - maybe he's got very thin arms and hands.
Repair went from pretty expensive to really cheap and best of all I could continue do the Scuderia Hanseat.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:14 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Wife getting feedback in sectiontraining

We got to drive these AMG's - it is part of the course.

Looks best without cars in it.

Seriously fast car and driver
Old 10-04-2018, 10:18 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Section training Schwedenkreutz

One of the best instructors at the Scuderia Hanseat. Notice the cross in the background - Schwedenkreutz

Section training Schwedenkreutz

Wife driving in the wrong direction. From Breidsheid to Wehrseifen.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:27 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

The Scuderia Hanseat ends with a final exams lap where you get judged by professional racing drivers

Here we are lining up. The normal startorder is fastest first, slowest last because we go out on track with 30s in between each car.

You really don't want catch or get caught by another car.

It was interesting starting before the red GT2RS that is equipped with KW and Michelin-R's

He didn't catch me

Lining up for final examination lap

GT2RS with KW suspension and MPSC2-R

Another Rennlister
Old 10-04-2018, 10:28 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

The final exams lap. The starting number that was attached to my windshield started to come off after a while making a lot of noice in the cabin.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:45 PM
beoliving
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

will you do VLN8? I will be with the Schmickler Team on Friday as I might try to follow your path to drive 24h once in my life...big task for 2019/2020 indeed!
Old 10-04-2018, 06:06 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by beoliving
will you do VLN8? I will be with the Schmickler Team on Friday as I might try to follow your path to drive 24h once in my life...big task for 2019/2020 indeed!
Yes I will, Car 718.

You'll drive too?

Old 10-04-2018, 06:07 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Old 10-05-2018, 10:51 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Sometimes even the sky above Nürburgring is magical.

Anyone recognise where this is?

Such a good car.
Now back with black wheels. Got myself a set of used OZ Superleggera.
I have a set of OZ Superforgiatas but unfortunately the rear rims are oval.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:30 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Old 10-05-2018, 11:42 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,700 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt
Now back with black wheels. Got myself a set of used OZ Superleggera.
I have a set of OZ Superforgiatas but unfortunately the rear rims are oval.
Beautiful pics! Is this why you think you had tire problems (wheels out of round)?
Old 10-05-2018, 11:52 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by GrantG
Beautiful pics! Is this why you think you had tire problems (wheels out of round)?
No, I've been running the original GT3 rims for 2 years.

It seems like there is a problem with the MPSC2's - I've heard others had similar problem. But I have no real facts in this matter yet.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:45 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

VLN8

Our second VLN race. This time we drove another E36 325 from the same team as the last time because the car we had the last time was badly money shifted during the RCN race the weekend before.

Purpose of the race was to finish and get enough laps for both drivers so we get Permit A license which gives us the opportunity to Cat A cars (max 4.5 kg/hp) in VLN and also the opportunity to do the 24H of Nürburgring.

The sun was really low on the horizon during the morning qualification 08.30-10.00. This made it really difficult on some places on the track. If you combine this with a not perfect cleaned windshield it gets rather scary.
The track was dry except from after 3-corners-left after Bergwerk: On Kesselchen it was wet for maybe 750 meters. This in combination with low sun resulted in several crashes in this very fast corner. (200+ kph).
Basically it was Code 60 here during the complete session.

To be honest it is really scary driving with the sun this low.

We did our mandatory qualifications laps with the car in one piece - no need to be brave since we are driving for the permit A.
And the car is still too slow for its class. You have no chance against the BMW 325 E90's.

My co-driver did the first stint and I did the two last stints.

My co driver did a good job and left the car to me after about 1.5h of driving. Now it was 2.5h left for me to drive.
The car was a bit slippery in the rear due to worn slicks when I went out. Besides this I never got any real confidence in the car. The car last time was much more stable. Difficult to really tell what the difference was-

Driving VLN in a slow car is something everyone should try sometime. It is very interesting and hard work. There is so much to learn.
It is scary and wonderful at the same time.
An example: You learn after a while that when you approach Schwedencreutz the whole car vibrates from all the rubber pickup and eventually with the speed increase it all comes loose with a series of loud bangs in the fenders.
Sometimes you are not sure if it pickup or a puncture. The thought of puncture and going at 180+kph thru a corner is not good for self confidence
There are so many examples of situations that after the race it is just a blur.

Anyway I did fairly well but couldn't get the car going as fast as the last car we had. Don't know if it was car or my head.
I spun the car and rode backwards into the gravel trap in Aremberg. Intervention car was fast there to pull me out of the gravel so I could continue.
The next lap I was a bit more careful with the clutch

After pitstop I got new rear tires and manage to spin in the first corner on the GP track - a true beginner error. Weird was that braking was really good but cornering not so well. Did a 360

The last three laps I was really happy with: I was fighting with a Megane, a GT86 and third car that I don't remember what it was. We had similar speed but the other ones where faster in straight line.
I overtook them one by one during these three laps. I had to exploit their weaknesses and use my own strengths.
The final overtake I did in the braking zone in Aremberg. I noticed that the car in front of me generally was slower than me thru this corner.
So we go into the corner side by side, me on the inside, him on my left - I knew for a fact that there will be a lot of gravel on his line (after my visit to the gravel trap, Moahahaha) and I decided to just hold on and not back off. Success!
I all this excitement I shifted from 4th to 3rd instead of to 5th. Failure!
On the way up thru the Foxhole I felt the loss of power and started to drive carefully with the engine.

I made it almost all the way to the checkered flag. The car died 1 minute from the finish line.

In hindsight I should have pulled over when the car was loosing power. But, it was a race!
The good thing is that this was a E36 325 and not a E46 M3. Much less $.

I was a bit disappointed that we DNF:ed and that we wouldn't get our Permit A.
Then our team chief told us that we would most likely get the license even though we DNF:ed.

Beer time it was!

Learned so much in this race.

Me and co-driver has been thinking about which car to drive next year in VLN. BMW325 e90, BMW e46 M3, Porsche Cup car...

We have realized after these two races that we need more experience, there is so much to learn. That experience is probably best to get in a e90.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kobalts Great White RS