Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kobalts Great White RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 10:12 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Awesome Kobalt! Sounds like a blast. You've got to love the car sh!tting itself right before the race to amp up the stress!

This is one of my favorite threads. You, Peter and Joe are all that separates us from becoming the 930 Turbo forum. LOL
Old 04-25-2017, 10:40 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt
Trying to make this short:

Fun race. First half (mine) wet, second half dry. Still cold though.

We drove the 24H version of Nordschleife which I guess you otherwise only get the chance to drive at N24 and Qualification for N24. I've driven the VLN-version a lot so this was new.

The difference basically is that efter the very slow right hander that ends the long strait you need to take a very tight left hander instead of going staight to the much wider left hander in the Mercedes arena.
It proved to be difficult: Remember that we first drive about 2km on the Dttinge Hhe, thru a fast series of corners then thru a slower chicane to end up at the beginning of the start/finish strait, full throttle down to the tight right hander, with the following tighter left hander.
It was very difficult to adopt to the low speed needed to corner properly. Took a couple of laps to almost get it right.

We also had access to the GP Tracks pits when filling up and changing drivers which was cool. It is like a mini-mini-24H. It is kind of absurd finding yourself stepping out of a car in those pits with all the action going on around you. it is definitely good training to prepare you for more serious racing (VLN, N24).

Unfortunately I have no pictures from the pits: We drove together the whole race so no chance of taking pictures.

Well, anyhow: This was our day:

11.00 Adjusting belts and stuff in the old paddock.
11.40 Drivers briefing
12.10 Move the car from the Old Paddock to the parking that is cross the street in direction of the Touristparking.
12.15 Strapping into the car.
12.20 Notice by accident that the Race Navigator emptied the battery. The car won't start. ****! You are kind of helpless when sitting in car like this in full race gear. You can hardly move your head and you don't want to leave the car because you will have problems getting strapped in again.
Somehow we make contact with one from the crew who immediately try to locate a start battery.
At the same time other classes starts to roll out from the parking onto the track to line up on the main straight.

12.24 Crew guy comes back with battery and the car starts, phew!. Crew tells us that he will go to the pits (10 min walk). Ok we says.

12.25 The ABS light comes on, the DCS can not be turned of, and some more light on the dash shows their presens. I don't dare to try to turn of the engine so I decides that we have to wait and reset it until we change drivers. Then the car dies...

My co driver tries to call the crew on the cell phone we is using to manually take time. Glad that we had the one nearby. Now it turns out that it is very difficult to communicate in a Stand21 full face helmet. After what seemed to be an eternity contact with crew was established and crew cam running again with the starter battery.
This time I did not let the car idle...

12.28 It is our turn to leave the parking and go and line up.

And now to the easy bit:

Startflag: We try to do the first lap (regularity lap) as slow as possible due to the weather conditions.

It was very slippery: The BMW reacted very different then my RS at many places on the track. Might be the tires and the fact that it was my first time in the car.

Then I had three sprint laps and when these where done needed to set the time +/-10 seconds of the time from lap 1.
Made it. Missed my set time with one second (which is within the +/1 seconds) and very well done by me and codriver.
After that it is time to go to the pits which in this case means a whole lap on the Nordschleife, that was my fastest lap.

In the pits we changed driver and now I was the passenger. We considered going on slicks (We where on semi-slicks) but decided against it: it was still very cold. At tis time the track was basically completely dry so my co driver did a series of really nice fast laps after the warm up lap and the lap where he needed to set the same time as I did in lap 1: He too missed it by 1 second which is within the margin.

He had a really good fight with another BMW for two full laps. When we finally passed the BMW we slowly pulled away.

We made it to the end and left the car in Parc Ferm and went to get us a good German beer in the Old Paddock.

Since the racetrack was longer this time it was fewer laps. 13 compared to the normal 15 laps.

The laps looked like this for us:

Lap 1 Set regularity time
Lap 2 Sprint lap
Lap 3 Sprint lap
Lap 4 Sprint lap
Lap 5 Set the time from lap 1 +/- 10 seconds
Lap 6 Cool down lap, to the pits, fuel, driver change
Lap 7 Outlap
Lap 8 Set the time from lap 1 +/- 10 seconds
Lap 9 Sprint lap
Lap 10 Sprint lap
Lap 11 Sprint lap
Lap 12 Sprint lap
Lap 13 Cool down lap

only 13 laps and it takes about 3hours...

After those 3hours you need Schnitzel und Bier.

It was great fun!

Next race ic RCN3 and it is on Thursday the 25th of May. It is a part of the N24 race weekend so it is going to be crowded around the track I've heard. Going to be fun!
Soooo frickin' cool Dan
What a day!! I am sure it all tasted like more
Old 04-25-2017, 10:42 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Awesome Kobalt! Sounds like a blast. You've got to love the car sh!tting itself right before the race to amp up the stress!
it is kind of a situation where you really not can do anything about the problem yourself. All you can do is try to relax.

From "Rules for trackdriving":
1 Be on time
2 Be prepared
99 Expect the unexpected always

Originally Posted by robmypro
...are all that separates us from becoming the 930 Turbo forum. LOL
Old 04-25-2017, 10:51 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds absolutely amazing Kobalt. Living the dream. Well done! 👍👍
Can't wait to see you at the ring this summer. And this time in my own car.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:56 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

It is an interesting race to do. Think about it.

On the track it is a mix of cars with different agendas. Some on cool down laps (not sooo slow laps)
Some on sprint laps. Some on regularity laps (rather slow).

You need to really handle traffic infront of you on your fast laps because of the regularity lap cars.

When you do your regularity laps they can be very slow compared to the faster cars so you must both try to figure out what speed to drive at to be in time at the finish line and at the same time trying to get out of the way of cars on fast laps.
The speed difference are probably +150 kph when most.

It is also very difficult to drive slow after you've done the fast laps. You almost feel sick going so slow
And Nrburgring is so difficult to drive slow - almost an art itself.

As I said before. Definitively good training.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:58 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

On the track it is a mix of cars with different agendas. Some on cool down laps (not sooo slow laps)

You need to really handle traffic infront of you on your fast laps because of the regularity lap cars.

When you do your regularity laps they can be very slow compared to the faster cars so you must both try to figure out what speed to drive at to be in time at the finish line and at the same time trying to get out of the way of cars on fast laps.

It is also very difficult to drive slow after you've done the fast laps. You almost feel sick going so slow

Way to go, Dan!
Old 04-25-2017, 10:58 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Can't wait to see you at the ring this summer. And this time in my own car.
Looking forward to that!

Too bad you couldn't make it to the Scuderia Hanseat.
It is next week and looks like it is 220+ cars there.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:05 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Looking forward to that!

Too bad you couldn't make it to the Scuderia Hanseat.
It is next week and looks like it is 220+ cars there.
Yes, wish I could. Car is on its way. I'll join you next time with the scuderia group.

Have to live it thru you this time. Keep us posted. Makes the hotel room evenings in China so much more enjoyable.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:08 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

When you do your regularity laps they can be very slow compared to the faster cars so you must both try to figure out what speed to drive at to be in time at the finish line and at the same time trying to get out of the way of cars on fast laps. The speed difference are probably +150 kph when most. It is also very difficult to drive slow after you've done the fast laps. You almost feel sick going so slow

And Nrburgring is so difficult to drive slow - almost an art itself. As I said before. Definitively good training.
That would be great training. The only time i was driving on the track i did the slow group, and literally EVERYTHING happens in front of you. But when i rode shotgun with the guys in the fast group, the situation was much harder. You have cars coming up on you, some you need to get around, and figuring out when and where to manage that stuff has a learning curve. Definitely the training you are getting is awesome, Kobalt.

Good for you!
Old 04-25-2017, 11:37 AM
Jangobipbip
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 34 Posts

It seams to be a really good experience! I'm looking for something similar to do with my brother. Did you buy the M3 or rented it?
Old 04-25-2017, 01:52 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by smookey
It seams to be a really good experience! I'm looking for something similar to do with my brother. Did you buy the M3 or rented it?
Friend bought it this year and I had the opportunity to share the car with him. Of course we shared the expenses. So one could say that I rented the car. One must remember that when you rent a car for a race it includes tires, insurance, crew race fee etc.

Smokey, do you have national racing license ?
Old 04-25-2017, 02:52 PM
Marcus S.
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Yes, wish I could. Car is on its way. I'll join you next time with the scuderia group.

Have to live it thru you this time. Keep us posted. Makes the hotel room evenings in China so much more enjoyable.
Yep, looking forward to this years autumn course in september
Old 04-25-2017, 03:04 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by 928cs
Congratulations, Kobalt!

Now, you are a race driver, and you have won your class!

Well

I'd say "race driver" or maybe " "race driver" "
Old 04-25-2017, 04:20 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is simply amazing--thank you!
Old 04-29-2017, 10:44 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Great day today at the Ring. 13C and sunny and not too much traffic. A lot of Swedes here.

Driving the 997 GT3 this week while wife drives the RS. Have not really driven (well, a couple of laps to be truthful) the GT3 for since we got the RS. It is harder in its setup and much more nervous.

Just a short update - now back to track.

Quick Reply: Kobalts Great White RS