Sponsored by:

GT3 no longer on Canada config.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 05:15 AM
H82BL8
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default GT3 no longer on Canada config.

We it appears Porsche is no longer marketing the GT3 online.
The configurator has the new Targa (turbo) but no GT3

Canadian site it is gone
Old 10-17-2015, 05:32 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Gone from New Zealand and Australian site a few weeks now as well....
Old 10-17-2015, 09:57 AM
snabbgt3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting, the 991.1 base GT3 and 991.1 GT3RS starting to drop off the world's config sites ... although the RS still is on the Canada site.

The U.S. site still has both cars.

I take this to mean that allocations/configurations are about expired for the 991.1 generation.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:21 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Heard they are not pushing back any 991.1 GT3 build dates into 2016. Wrapping up production by December.

Not sure about RS
Old 10-17-2015, 10:50 AM
Gros Chien
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bring on the 911R please
Old 10-17-2015, 10:59 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Does anyone know for sure if they will stop making the RS July next year. Heard something about new safety/emissions rules over in Europe????
Old 10-17-2015, 02:45 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Gros Chien
Bring on the 911R please
Indeed.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:05 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Re: "New safety/emissions rules over in Europe"

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Does anyone know for sure if they will stop making the RS July next year. Heard something about new safety/emissions rules over in Europe????
There is this going on...but it would not necessarily be the demise of the gt program at PAG. They may be much more 'quiet' in the future.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-conte...4R0540&from=DE

Back in late 2013 we had a similar discussion on this forum about European Cycle 6 Emissions and how it might impact continued production
of the 991 gt3. Here are two oldies post from Dec 2013 that were written on this subject & links some of the sources for those rumors:

Originally Posted by Z356
...The only thing radically different in this era of the 991 that differs from the 997 is the increased pace of restrictive emissions standards, especially in Europe. The one thing we can perhaps talk about is the impact of Euro Cycle 6 emissions standards, which go into effect in September of 2014, and what effect it will have on Porsche and the 991 in particular! There is speculation over at the 991 gt3 forum that it might mean the END of the natural aspirated high performance engines like the 3.8-liter boxer engine recently debuted in the MY2014 991 gt3 and that might also be used in the MY2015 991 gt3 RS! The rumor is that Porsche might be forced to rush production on all its MY2014 gt3's and MY2015 gt3 RS's and complete them BEFORE the beginning of September of 2014* to avoid the heavy penalties mandated if these Euro Cycle 6 emissions standards are not met. And these particular high performance naturally aspirated Porsche engines, efficient as they seem to be with direct fuel injection, etc, apparently don't satisfy the new, tougher rules of the European Union.

*9-1-2014 is the date for mandated 'new type approvals'. The EC Directives also specify a second date — one year later — which applies to first registration (entry into service) of existing, previously type-approved vehicle models. That is why Porsche mentions September of 2015 in its notice below. However, some are saying that the 9-1-2014 date will be of tremendous importance (e.g. to the gt3), so all of this needs to be further discussed and explained to us the laymen so we understand better what is going on!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea...sion_standards

If Euro Cycle 6 mandates radically change the way Porsche is able to deliver performance on its 991 & 981 models, we might see an earlier introduction of the .2 facelift as the bodies will have to be modified to accept the introduction of turbo models across the range - from the Boxster/Cayman to the traditionally naturally aspirated versions of the 911. The only Porsche series production model that meets Euro Cycle 6 mandates (NOT SURPRISINGLY) is the just introduced MY2014 991 Turbo and Turbo S!

"Another good example: the new 911 Turbo models already meet the Euro 6 emissions standard which will be obligatory for all new petrol engine cars from September 2015."

http://www.porsche.com/international...e/performance/

The rest of the existing engines used currently by Porsche might perhaps have to be re-worked to meet the new Euro Cycle 6 standards, especially those of particular high performance. And we still don't know the net effect all of this will have on the engines chosen for its most sporting future vehicles - .2 gt3 & RS (will it even be one?), 991 gts, Cayman gts, et al. If we have a major shift to turbos to gain performance under the new regulations, various metal panels in the 991 that might need modification! And it would probably be best to coincide the new engines offerings with the facelifted .2 991 models. But this is pure speculation at this time.

You will note that the rumored 960 engine will be a boxer eight with four turbochargers, two intercoolers, four adjustable camshafts, a complex multistage intake manifold, and dual-stage exhaust! We have no clear idea yet of what the future 911 engine range will be like. But expect more turbos and PDK computerized transmissions in order for Porsche to meet these increasingly tougher emissions standards and still provide high performance sport cars!

Would like to know more about the source of information re: the present 991 chassis lasting two model cycles. It is an interesting concept.

Merry Christmas,
Eduardo
Carmel
Originally Posted by Z356
Yes, it does make sense that the extensive changes made to the 911 in the form of the 991 chassis would last for two model cycles! Let us know if you find more info on that. As for the 'shared VW family platform', the most interesting conversation in the past revolved around a new platform to be shared by Audi, Lamborghini and Porsche. It was for a mid-engine, AWD chassis.

"The addition of carbon in platform development is something Porsche is also expected to exploit for the design of a new mid-engine platform that will be used for the next-generation Audi R8 and Lamborghini Gallardo successor, and if approved a new Ferrari 458 rival from Porsche."

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...d-platform-msb

However, this concept was disrupted by the newer press reports like this:

"With Porsche put in charge of sports car and luxury sedan development at the Volkswagen Group, we’re going to start seeing the sports car brand developing a greater number of models for fellow Volkswagen Group brands, including the likes of Audi and Bentley. Such a task is made possible due to the development of a newrange of modular platforms, in particular, the 'Modular Standard Platform' from Porsche. This platform, known as the 'Modularer Standardantrieb-Baukasten' in German, is for a conventional front-engine, rear-wheel drive layout, hence the word 'standard' in its title. A variation of this platform, the 'Modularer Sport-Baukasten', or 'Modular Sport Platform', is also being developed, and this one will feature engines in either a mid or rear position. The Modular Sport Platform will be used for a range of future sports cars from the Volkswagen Group, including the next 911.

It was previously thought that this platform would also spawn the next-generation Audi R8 and Lamborghini Gallardo replacement, but 'Car and Driver' is reporting that the next R8 will stick to an Audi platform, which means it’s likely the Gallardo replacement will too. Apparently the next R8, which is expected to arrive in late 2014, is already too far into its development to switch to Porsche’s Modular Sport Platform."

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...latform-report

Although too late to effect the next mid-engine R8 or Lamborghini, Porsche will showcase its own (many say superior) state-of-the-art mid-engine platform in the current 918 Spyder, which will be the basis for the frame & engineering dynamics (minus electric & batteries) that we will see on the upcoming 960 , the FeFi or Ferrari Fighter! In addition, Weissach will continue to develop the Group's basic 'Modular Sport Platform' so that all within the VW family (including future Audi & Porsche models) can share them!

I don't know for sure. We need more information from folks intimately familiar with the engineering, the regulations and the politics. For example, folks over the 991 gt3 forum have speculated that it will not effect 991 gt3 deliveries to the US after 9/2014 since Euro Cycle 6 is not a US mandate. I personally don't believe Porsche will produce a gt3 model that it can't sell in 'the homeland' and its only for export.

I don't think the 991 gt3 is Euro 6 compliant. It is only Euro 5! Here are some of the posts that have been discussed on the 991 gt3 forum that have started the ball rolling. All three of these quotes come from respected Rennlister 'Macca', who has just taken delivery of his ROW spec 991 gt3 in Europe before shipping it back to his native New Zealand!

"Its quite possible this gen GT3 may be the last in the 991 series. Euro 6 emissions standards make the current GT3 costly for Porsche to produce from 01 Sept 2014 and also more expensive to register for the owner. Unfortunately it looks like the end is close for the naturally aspirated engine and we will see future 911s packing small capacity turbos and hybrid drivetrains!"

"P.S. I heard from a source close to PAG there will not be a Gen 2 GT3 in the 991 series and that the current GT3 will not be manufactured from 01 Sept. Apparently they will produce all 991 GT3RS variance before that date to beat the Euro 6 penalties. Apparently the debate on Euro 6 is drawing to a close and the Germans held out for more time but ended up winning some other concessions but not the time..."

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...aland-488.html

"As a point of interest its becoming increasingly likely that the 991 GT3 will complete production before September 2014 and this may be the last GT3 we see of this kind (NA engine etc). 991 RS production is slated to be very short indeed. In the UK RHD market dealers have returned deposits above and beyond the 250 unit allocation they have been given. Its not 100% clear yet but it seems the new Euro Emissions 6 rule which Porsche has signed up to (they were forced along with other german manufactures to when faced with an alternative proposal that saw cars limited in HP and VMax) will essentially kill the NA GT3 concept and at this time Porsche has no answer to that in its future GT range. A few in the know are speculating based on PAG insiders that there will not bet a Gen2 GT3. It seems that could be quite likely. What a shame, but no surprising, as Mike from CA and others have speculated in the last 12 montsh we could see turbo or hybrid in the future but also perhaps a step change game mover with a mid engine platform as basis for motorsport from 2016 onwards...all good for 991 GT3 owners but sad for Porsche enthusiasts as a whole - anyway it hasnt happened yet and is still purely speculation albeit with some input form company insiders....01 Sept 2014 is dealine for production off non compliant Euro Emissions 6 cars. If you think California is tough this new EU legislation is set to essentially bankrupt some smaller manufacturers with compliance and development costs!"

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...l#post10989859

You can also follow this conversation at the following thread, starting with post #10 by Reidry.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...gt3-order.html

We need to get more information on this subject ASAP. It is bound to have enormous implications for all newer versions of the 911!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7919...-facelift.html

And we now know, almost two years after we had those discussions here at Rennlist, that the .1 991 gt3 & 991 gt3 RS
continued as MY2016 model. And production of the RS is scheduled to go at least to Spring of 2016.

And Andreas Prueninger recently (Rennsport V) talked about the continuation of the N/A engines for future gt products at
PAG, so some could interpret that as a sign that we will most likely see a .2 991 gt3 & gt3 RS model (perhaps as a MY2018).
Will future .2 gt3 engines (e.g MY2018 if released) need to be Cycle 6 compliant? I don't know the answer to that. Hopefully
others with more technical knowledge of what it's being required of European sport cars makers in the short run can address
that topic.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

PS By the way 997RS4.0, can you point us out where you found the current discussion re: new safety/emissions rules over
in Europe which might be endangering the 991 gt3 RS?

Old 10-17-2015, 04:39 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks Eduardo,

I've trying to figure out if there is any chance for a 991RS gen 1 "cup edition"
And spoke to some people during a Porsche event in Germany about a month ago. We discussed the 991RS and how good it is. About production numbers and demand/market adjustment in the US.
Thought I read something on Rennlist about ending production next summer. Can't remember what thread. "Spending to much time on here"

I'll try to dig a bit more and I will send you a pm.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:07 PM
John Elliot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is annoying to see cars that are no longer available on the manufacturer's web site. Good to see the update.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:19 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Just checked my garage. GT3 is still there.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:06 PM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have a feeling I'm going to have to wait til the .2 comes out. Any idea when that may be?

Damn, this sucks.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:43 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

991.2 GT3 will be model year 2018 and 2019 correct? Refresh my memory someone. When introduced, orders taken, and deliveries starting approx dates?
Old 10-18-2015, 04:44 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
991.2 GT3 will be model year 2018 and 2019 correct? Refresh my memory someone. When introduced, orders taken, and deliveries starting approx dates?
correct.

March 2017 launch Geneva
Official allocation shortly there after
Production start LHD Europe September 2017

Something like that.

GT3RS also now removed from Australia/ NZ config. My guess is they are making way for new wave of 991.2 models that will proliferate in the New Year....
Old 10-18-2015, 07:16 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
correct.

March 2017 launch Geneva
Official allocation shortly there after
Production start LHD Europe September 2017

Something like that.

GT3RS also now removed from Australia/ NZ config. My guess is they are making way for new wave of 991.2 models that will proliferate in the New Year....
When do you suspect that they introduce the .2RS? March 2018 with production in the fall of 2018?

Quick Reply: GT3 no longer on Canada config.