Sponsored by:

More Rumors: Road Going GT3 RSR in the Works

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 09:34 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Why even come out with this kind of street car, 90%+ of the people that buy it will never take it to the track. They'll probably just trailer it to Cars and Croissants.
Why make RS? Makes no sense. But we still love it. This new car will be RS inside and out.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:13 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Why make RS? Makes no sense. But we still love it. This new car will be RS inside and out.
We do, but if they make them make enough for us mortals to be able to buy them.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:25 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
^ with all due respect. you must have not driven a stripped race car on street. i have. full on, zero int, no window, no ac, no insulation, no radio, welded cage, full fire supression, spec miata, BSR, 996 cup on street. the first two i drove to and from races, win, and drive home. i also drove both to work in suit and tie. i didn't drive the 996cup or my GTB1 race car to work or race but i did drive them 35 miles to the shop. do it a few times, you will not want to do it.

not many ppl are as hard core or insane as i am.
i can't fit the whole family, wife and sister in my 2 seats. i stuffed my then 26 year old sister in the trunk o fmy E36/8 and drove 45 miles to dinner. insane, i know. but if i find the race car on street too hardcore. i think most wont be able to take it.

i also drive my non AC 964 when it was 100 deg F up here.

my 996 stripped can full cage, full fire suppression race car even has cup holder. so i can use it to commute to work. trust me, the is race car for street thing is a novelty.

a race clutch is not useable on street. watch the guys in paddock driving cup car. they either stall like idiots, wearout clutch or taxi at 45 mph and get chewed out for going too fast in paddock.

reducing some wt is nice however.
take out gps, radio is cool.
Agreed,

After driving my RS on the street for miles and miles with full roll cage, cup doors, cup seat, cup exhaust, cup wheel and full monoballs it becomes a little much.

Been there, done that and not looking for something new that offers the same and Porsche knows this which is why they would never build anything like it.

My RS is like a luxurious Cup car. Carpet. A/C, TC.
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2015, 11:52 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
Haha Mooty you make me laugh.

I get where you are coming from Mooty, I really do. SF has the worst streets (I presume you are from the Bay Area), not that I think you drive yours downtown. The closest Curcuit you have is Sanoma which is roughly 45 mins from the city. Then you have Laguna Seca 2hrs away, and Thunderhill at 3hrs and a bit. If you want to stretch it to Willow Springs that's a good 5hrs. I wouldn't want to do any of that in a race car as much as you have described above. Coupled with all that horrific SF/LA traffic. I really feel where you are coming from. I don't think anyone in their right mind would accept any of that except Sonoma maaaaybe, no matter how hardcore they claim they are. Must be torture.

Here in Land of Dreams (Dubai) things are quite different. I have driven a Vantage GT4 in this atrocious climate I reluctantly call weather. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Although driven on track, track conditions are not far off the immaculate road conditions we have here in Dubai/Abu Dhabi, and traffic is no where near horrendous as LA/SF. Most traffic is during after work where virtually no track sessions are open. Driving to the closest track which is Autodrome is 15 mins from my house and driving to the furthest is Yas which takes 45mins all on 140kph freeway. In this case is it doable to drive a "road legal cup car" to and from track? Quite possibly.
Is it Rolls Royce Carrera status? I highly doubt it.
pls forgive my self humoring post.
like everyone else, i dont think race car for street makes sense.
but hell, i'll be the first one to buy one haha
if you are on RL GT3 board, you are insane to begin with.
insanity is what makes life fun
Old 10-15-2015, 04:30 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
pls forgive my self humoring post.
like everyone else, i dont think race car for street makes sense.
but hell, i'll be the first one to buy one haha
if you are on RL GT3 board, you are insane to begin with.
insanity is what makes life fun
Mooty I think you champion the kookoo in all of us
Old 10-15-2015, 10:17 AM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Agree with the mere mortal comments.
As long as the RS remains the top street legal GT 911, I think the GT brand is in great shape, but i for one would line up at cars and coffee to see a street legal RSR if that ever happens.
The R model that is rumored to me could diminish and confuse our GT brand.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:31 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by tgil
Agree with the mere mortal comments. As long as the RS remains the top street legal GT 911, I think the GT brand is in great shape, but i for one would line up at cars and coffee to see a street legal RSR if that ever happens. The R model that is rumored to me could diminish and confuse our GT brand.
This^

And don't forget, these are all rumors. We all build to the hype.

991R is not a GT car.

991RSR won't happen IMO. Someone came up with that name.
My guess is that the 991.2 RS will be the "cup edition" "RSR"

Goes well with what AP has said. Think about it.

Give the 991.2 gt3 the 4.0 engine. Pretty much leave the rest. The 991.1 gt3 is a great car. (They still sell them above MSRP) that says it all.

The 991.2RS might get a little bump HP wise. Shave 100-150 pounds of the interior.

Voilla. You have a cup edition.

Make it a little more RS on the inside. We all know what kind of performance it delivers. TRAKCAR said its night and day from the 997.4.0!

Personally I can't wait to drive the 991RS. But for know I'll have to live it thru you guys.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:06 AM
Metzeger
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

991 R is not a GT car? are you sure? with the 991 GT3 body, the gt3/RS motor and all suspension and components of the gt3... for you is not a GT car... For me it's a fantastic car to drive and the R badge is not a GTS badge...
Old 10-15-2015, 03:45 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Metzeger
991 R is not a GT car? are you sure? with the 991 GT3 body, the gt3/RS motor and all suspension and components of the gt3... for you is not a GT car... For me it's a fantastic car to drive and the R badge is not a GTS badge...
How do you know that
Old 10-15-2015, 05:17 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by Metzeger

It's just speculation. I don't know anything for sure. But, the little information I've got doesn't point in the Motorsport direction. We'll just have to wait and see.

I have no doubt it will be a fantastic car.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:32 PM
908/3fan
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe they will do it like they did it back in '97, with a very, very special and rare car/platform like the GT1.

Who knows..
Old 10-18-2015, 04:14 PM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's certainly coming - I had a dream about it last night.....

...... my wife told me she had a surprise for me and asked me to go to the Burj Al Arab and she would meet me there for afternoon tea. So I put on my Tom Ford suit and tie, dosed myself in Tom Ford oud and made sure my shoes didn't clash with the suit. I ordered an Uber taxi as I thought I might have some champagne - that's what they do for afternoon tea at this luxurious hotel.

I got there nice and early - I mean, when the heck does my wife offer this. I did wonder if she was having an affair.

On arrival, I was welcomed at the door with a smile from the prettiest eastern european lady I ever seen with my name on an iPad with the Porsche logo on.... I thought I must be dreaming. Anyways, I wasn't. Her name was Prity Verluptious and she asked me follow her. She took me to a table where a glass of champagne was waiting - Bollinger - 1964 - my wife really loves me . Blow me with a feather I thought, can this get any better....?

It did.

Just as I was finishing my glass, I checked my Patek Philippe’s Henry Graves Jr Supercomplication watch - it was five seconds past four in the afternoon, Prity came and ushered me to the front door saying my wife is coming to collect me as there had been a change of plan.

As I walked out all I could hear was what could only be described as the sound of the apocalypse and I strained to see amongst the other high powered hotel guests.... is that Tom Ford over there as I scanned the pretty people?

Apocalypse came nearer and was now coughing and spluttering - **** me is that some kind of Porsche race car? **** me is that my wife driving it? I suddenly felt very strange - surely she is not driving it in a mini skirt and Christian Louboutin high heels...? The car drew up and it had the biggest bad *** rear wing I had ever seen, the widest wheel arches and the barest of cabins I had ever seen. The rear of the car said RSR.....YES, YES, YES!!!!!

The hotel porter opened the car door and my wife got out - she looked taller than normal and had extremely long legs! It's amazing what high heels and a mini skirt can do. She walked over to me and handed me the key and said "here you are darling - i've been saving all my life to get you one special gift - you deserve it!... and before you say anything else...... "Prity - take good care of him and bring him back tomorrow".
Old 10-18-2015, 04:27 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had smiles all along, as I read this. There's nothing wrong with a good dream, only having to eventually wake up.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:12 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1198r
It's certainly coming - I had a dream about it last night.....

...... my wife told me she had a surprise for me and asked me to go to the Burj Al Arab and she would meet me there for afternoon tea. So I put on my Tom Ford suit and tie, dosed myself in Tom Ford oud and made sure my shoes didn't clash with the suit. I ordered an Uber taxi as I thought I might have some champagne - that's what they do for afternoon tea at this luxurious hotel.

I got there nice and early - I mean, when the heck does my wife offer this. I did wonder if she was having an affair.

On arrival, I was welcomed at the door with a smile from the prettiest eastern european lady I ever seen with my name on an iPad with the Porsche logo on.... I thought I must be dreaming. Anyways, I wasn't. Her name was Prity Verluptious and she asked me follow her. She took me to a table where a glass of champagne was waiting - Bollinger - 1964 - my wife really loves me . Blow me with a feather I thought, can this get any better....?

It did.

Just as I was finishing my glass, I checked my Patek PhilippeÂ’s Henry Graves Jr Supercomplication watch - it was five seconds past four in the afternoon, Prity came and ushered me to the front door saying my wife is coming to collect me as there had been a change of plan.

As I walked out all I could hear was what could only be described as the sound of the apocalypse and I strained to see amongst the other high powered hotel guests.... is that Tom Ford over there as I scanned the pretty people?

Apocalypse came nearer and was now coughing and spluttering - **** me is that some kind of Porsche race car? **** me is that my wife driving it? I suddenly felt very strange - surely she is not driving it in a mini skirt and Christian Louboutin high heels...? The car drew up and it had the biggest bad *** rear wing I had ever seen, the widest wheel arches and the barest of cabins I had ever seen. The rear of the car said RSR.....YES, YES, YES!!!!!

The hotel porter opened the car door and my wife got out - she looked taller than normal and had extremely long legs! It's amazing what high heels and a mini skirt can do. She walked over to me and handed me the key and said "here you are darling - i've been saving all my life to get you one special gift - you deserve it!... and before you say anything else...... "Prity - take good care of him and bring him back tomorrow".
Just love it mate!! At this time of reading I was hoping the concept in the movie Inception was valid so I could visit Prity too. Who cares about the car??
Old 10-19-2015, 08:19 AM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ -
^ - indeedy!

Quick Reply: More Rumors: Road Going GT3 RSR in the Works