Sponsored by:

More Rumors: Road Going GT3 RSR in the Works

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 04:04 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
^ with all due respect. you must have not driven a stripped race car on street. i have. full on, zero int, no window, no ac, no insulation, no radio, welded cage, full fire supression, spec miata, BSR, 996 cup on street. the first two i drove to and from races, win, and drive home. i also drove both to work in suit and tie. i didn't drive the 996cup or my GTB1 race car to work or race but i did drive them 35 miles to the shop. do it a few times, you will not want to do it.

not many ppl are as hard core or insane as i am.
i can't fit the whole family, wife and sister in my 2 seats. i stuffed my then 26 year old sister in the trunk o fmy E36/8 and drove 45 miles to dinner. insane, i know. but if i find the race car on street too hardcore. i think most wont be able to take it.

i also drive my non AC 964 when it was 100 deg F up here.

my 996 stripped can full cage, full fire suppression race car even has cup holder. so i can use it to commute to work. trust me, the is race car for street thing is a novelty.

a race clutch is not useable on street. watch the guys in paddock driving cup car. they either stall like idiots, wearout clutch or taxi at 45 mph and get chewed out for going too fast in paddock.

reducing some wt is nice however.
take out gps, radio is cool.
Haha Mooty you make me laugh.

I get where you are coming from Mooty, I really do. SF has the worst streets (I presume you are from the Bay Area), not that I think you drive yours downtown. The closest Curcuit you have is Sanoma which is roughly 45 mins from the city. Then you have Laguna Seca 2hrs away, and Thunderhill at 3hrs and a bit. If you want to stretch it to Willow Springs that's a good 5hrs. I wouldn't want to do any of that in a race car as much as you have described above. Coupled with all that horrific SF/LA traffic. I really feel where you are coming from. I don't think anyone in their right mind would accept any of that except Sonoma maaaaybe, no matter how hardcore they claim they are. Must be torture.

Here in Land of Dreams (Dubai) things are quite different. I have driven a Vantage GT4 in this atrocious climate I reluctantly call weather. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Although driven on track, track conditions are not far off the immaculate road conditions we have here in Dubai/Abu Dhabi, and traffic is no where near horrendous as LA/SF. Most traffic is during after work where virtually no track sessions are open. Driving to the closest track which is Autodrome is 15 mins from my house and driving to the furthest is Yas which takes 45mins all on 140kph freeway. In this case is it doable to drive a "road legal cup car" to and from track? Quite possibly.
Is it Rolls Royce Carrera status? I highly doubt it.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:49 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Yeah, I don't think I'll be driving my track Cayman S on the street...I'm too soft and have gotten used to having AC, windows, radio, nav, bluetooth, etc. in the car that I drive on the street.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:51 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

To be able to do some track days or Touristdriving at Nürburgring the needs to be registered for road use.

I'd love a more focused car, I might just need to drive it from track to gas station, to lunch and to trailer.

I think what I want is not race car for the road but a "race car" for the road.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:01 AM
karimgt3
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it gonna pass emissions and "no exhaust valve rule" with a full titanium exhaust?
Old 10-14-2015, 08:54 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

So they are actually building the 991RS cup edition.

I would never even consider buying this car in Orlando, However like our friend from Dubai. There are places on earth where a car like this would make a little more sense.
Mooty is actually right that they make no sense at all. But who cares. It's fun. The 996RS, 993RS club sport are not comfortable on the road. But still so much fun to drive.

The gt3 is suppose to be the great combo between every day comforts and good track ability.

The RS is suppose to be street legal race car. And I've said it before. The 991RS is an RS on the outside but not on the inside. Hopefully they make this "cup edition" RSR! Whatever it's called I'm buying it.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:28 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
^ with all due respect. you must have not driven a stripped race car on street. i have. full on, zero int, no window, no ac, no insulation, no radio, welded cage, full fire supression, spec miata, BSR, 996 cup on street. the first two i drove to and from races, win, and drive home. i also drove both to work in suit and tie. i didn't drive the 996cup or my GTB1 race car to work or race but i did drive them 35 miles to the shop. do it a few times, you will not want to do it.

not many ppl are as hard core or insane as i am.
i can't fit the whole family, wife and sister in my 2 seats. i stuffed my then 26 year old sister in the trunk o fmy E36/8 and drove 45 miles to dinner. insane, i know. but if i find the race car on street too hardcore. i think most wont be able to take it.

i also drive my non AC 964 when it was 100 deg F up here.

my 996 stripped can full cage, full fire suppression race car even has cup holder. so i can use it to commute to work. trust me, the is race car for street thing is a novelty.

a race clutch is not useable on street. watch the guys in paddock driving cup car. they either stall like idiots, wearout clutch or taxi at 45 mph and get chewed out for going too fast in paddock.

reducing some wt is nice however.
take out gps, radio is cool.
true dat. but still plenty that could be done to dump weight:
bin luxo barge interior
dump switchable exhaust for lightweight dedicated system
trim the pork out of the pdk; swapping to magnesium casing would be a big chunk alone. if Ducati can do it....
CF or Mg wheels. Ford can't be the only one that can figure this out...
yadda, yadda, yadda. the list goes on.

build it and they will come. people will pay. trust me.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:48 PM
916Bob
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

"While production won't be limited, only 7 are scheduled to be made. Allocations will be assigned through a VIP program for previous customers who have purchased at least 3, 918's (2 are reserved for the US market). Any leftover allocations will be auctioned to dealers. Base MSRP will be $267K. Fence Post Brown has been approved for PTS."

This is direct from the guy who washed my Macan at the dealership this morning...
Old 10-14-2015, 01:53 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

I love the discussion and have agreements on both sides.

what I will say that is irrefutable is that mooty is correct in that you cannot comfortably drive a GT3 Cup Car around at slow speeds or in traffic. Deleting carpets etc is one thing but a full race gearbox on the 101 freeway would be preposterous- might as well just trailer your car if it is that is what it comes with.

I think a wide body with carbon panels (GT2RS style) and RS america style interior with thinner glass, thinner carpets, LW ion battery, LWB seats, slotted windows instead of regular glass, etc would all be great. if you de-fluff and de-stereo and over-carbon panel at GT3RS it would get 100lbs discount fairly easily.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:57 PM
Metzeger
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Rumor... a big doubt of this... a RSR for the road!!! just take a look to the 991 RS it's an awesome car, the look... (Porsche made more ?) you see on the road a "RSR"? i think no. i think he speak on the same model the upcoming R model.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:52 PM
cbweaver1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look for more R's, RS's RSR's, Black Editions and whatever other over priced unicorns they can make up from the parts bin. The ECB is no longer purchasing VW's auto loans (this means they have to use their own balance sheet to sell/lease cars) and the EIB could demand back over $5B in loans all due to Diesel Deception. Papa VW will be starting to gasp for oxygen e.g. Ca$h very soon. Look for Porsche and all its other money making divisions to hit the marketing afterburners. I suspect a sale of Bugatti before the Hopium Economy pops in 2016 too.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:24 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cbweaver1
Look for more R's, RS's RSR's, Black Editions and whatever other over priced unicorns they can make up from the parts bin. The ECB is no longer purchasing VW's auto loans (this means they have to use their own balance sheet to sell/lease cars) and the EIB could demand back over $5B in loans all due to Diesel Deception. Papa VW will be starting to gasp for oxygen e.g. Ca$h very soon. Look for Porsche and all its other money making divisions to hit the marketing afterburners. I suspect a sale of Bugatti before the Hopium Economy pops in 2016 too.
Porsche better get capacity on that GT production line increased STAT because they can't sell anymore regular 911s.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:19 PM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If its true, I'd hate to see anything detract from the GT3RS regarding uniqueness, low production numbers, etc for those owners. But the Racing RSR is one of the coolest modern 911 I have ever seen. Maybe a super limited production of a street legal RSR would be cool thing for all of us.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:27 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tgil
Maybe a super limited production of a street legal RSR would be cool thing for all of us.
It would be cool but a super limited production would only satisfy the VIP clients. Us mere mortals wouldn't even get a sniff at one.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:32 PM
GoHardGT3RS
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Porsche should first fix the ridiculous downforce/rubbing issue happening on the GT3 RS.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:15 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Why even come out with this kind of street car, 90%+ of the people that buy it will never take it to the track. They'll probably just trailer it to Cars and Croissants.

Quick Reply: More Rumors: Road Going GT3 RSR in the Works